PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Liscences in the UK

mcgrath50
26th Apr 2009, 12:42
A bit of a goal I have always had was to do an air tour of the UK. I aim to have my Australian PPL by the end of the year and then sometime in 2010 or 2011 I hope to go to the UK to do this.

My question is what kind of conversion process is needed for this kind of trip? I tried looking at the CAA website and haven't found anything.

Cheers
:ok:

BEagle
26th Apr 2009, 13:53
G'day,

Actually it's very simple as long as your licence and medical remain valid in accordance with Oz requirements:

Exercising the privileges of a Non-UK Licence in UK registered aircraft

Article 26, of the ANO 2005, states that a pilot must hold an appropriate licence granted either by the CAA or by a foreign authority and rendered valid under the ANO to fly a UK registered aircraft.

A JAA licence is deemed to be a licence rendered valid under the ANO unless the CAA in the particular case gives direction to the contrary. A JAA licence is a licence issued in accordance with licensing and medical requirements of JAR-FCL by a full JAA Member State that has been recommended for mutual recognition by Central JAA (JAA Headquarters).

A licence issued by any other ICAO Contracting State (including a JAA State that has not yet been recommended for mutual recognition) is also deemed to be valid under the ANO for the purposes of flying a UK registered aircraft, providing that the licence and medical are valid in accordance with the rules/laws of the issuing State, and the CAA does not in the particular case give direction to the contrary. However, the ANO 2005 Article 26 (4) (a) states that the holder of such a licence cannot:

1. Act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft flying for the purpose of public transport or aerial work or on any flight in respect of which he receives
remuneration for his services as a member of the flight crew; or

2. In the case of a pilot’s licence, to act as a pilot of any aircraft flying in controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules or to give any instruction in flying.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

I've highlighted the parts which concern you. Basically, if you stick to day VFR private flights in G-reg aircraft, there'll be no worries.

Enjoy!

BackPacker
26th Apr 2009, 13:56
That's because there's no conversion process whatsoever.

You can fly a G-reg aircraft on any (current) ICAO PPL (or higher), worldwide without any formal validation process. The details are in the ANO and/or LASORS, but you are generally restricted to PPL privileges and Day VFR.

LASORS: LASORS 2008 | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591)
Section A7.

It's a good idea to do a flight with an instructor first, though. There are a few things peculair about UK airspace, such as no closing of flightplans, ATSOCAS, PPR for most airfields, overhead joins, MATZ transitions and a few others.

Whopity
26th Apr 2009, 19:31
There are a few things peculair about UK airspace, such as ..... overhead joins,
The UK overhead join poster was copied from the Australian version! http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_gad_oheadjoin_poster.pdf