PDA

View Full Version : CAA Maps

Sam Woodgate
24th Apr 2009, 13:21
Hi,
I am a glider pilot. It has come to the time where everyone is renewing there airmaps. Everyone seems to be opting for a 1:500,000 map, but I was always under the impression that a 1:250,000 was a legal requirement?

I look forward to your responce as I can't find it anywhere in my airlaw book.

Sam

Genghis the Engineer
24th Apr 2009, 13:44
A current chart is a legal requirement, it can be CAA, Jeppessen, or some other publisher if it's current and complete.

There is no requirement about scale and indeed, many pilots of slower flying machines (gliders, microlights, helicopters) much prefer the CAA 1:250,000 which is absolutely fine.

I have seen some pilots fly with 1:50,000 Ordnance Survey maps, suitably marked up, and that's perfectly legal also. In fact, I think that the RAF and Army supply them like that to helicopter pilots.

G

Sam Woodgate
24th Apr 2009, 13:53
Thank you very much for the responce, that has answered my question.

Sam

hoodie
24th Apr 2009, 15:02
Of course, the chart must be suitable for the airspace in which you fly - in the case of the Quarter Mill there's a potential gotcha: don't forget that due to the way they show airspace they are only suitable for use below 5000ft Alt/FL50.

jxk
24th Apr 2009, 16:39
I've heard that NATS is to take over publication of the CAA charts. Allegedly, better single database, cooperation and all the other usual platitudes but no doubt extra cost eventually!
Note to self: must stop being so cynical!

mary meagher
24th Apr 2009, 16:43
Hi, Sam! If you are planning to fly x-country, a half mil works just fine.
The more detailed map doesn't have airways adequately displayed, as you will most certainly be working a height band between 2,500 to 6,000 or maybe even better with a bit of wave action.

GPS is lovely but you need to carry the half mil map. Ask an experienced x-country pilot to show you how to fold it. So you don't have to wrestle with it in the cockpit. I always cut off the parts I am very unlikely to use with my glider, such as the Irish Sea, the English Channel, etc. And save separately within reach the list of aerodromes and their frequencies, in case you need to radio for permission to cross airspace, or to land.

Mark with a chinagraph pen your proposed route, and on the final glide, the heights you need to make it home after that last climb, in case you need to top up.

All the fancy flight directors still wont help you follow the energy if you don't study the sky.

Have fun!

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Apr 2009, 18:46
Ask an experienced x-country pilot to show you how to fold it. So you don't have to wrestle with it in the cockpit. I always cut off the parts I am very unlikely to use
I've been taught two ways of folding maps:

(1) Cut out the bit you need for this particular flight. Throw the rest away. (This is known as the "RAF method".) Draw a new map from stores for tomorrow's flight, the taxpayer is paying after all.

(2) Fold the map. Anyhow, doesn't matter how. Pick an airfield in the middle of what you end up with. Do all your flying from that airfield.

flybymike
25th Apr 2009, 00:18
All CAA maps are crap. They never bear any relationship to the bit of land I am flying over.

jxk
25th Apr 2009, 07:13
flybymike

I'm with you, I've never been able to see those N & S blue lines whether flying over the land or sea.

IO540
25th Apr 2009, 07:13
There is no legal requirement in the UK to carry any particular type of chart.

You need to carry information suitable for the flight. I am sure somebody will dig out the ANO reference for me ;)

All CAA maps are crap. They never bear any relationship to the bit of land I am flying over.

I think that's true for all aviation charts to a degree. The ground features can be pretty ambiguous, but tht is the nature of map reading. The skill (for whose who don't use a GPS) lies in picking obscure features which are unique within a wide area.

Jumbo Driver
25th Apr 2009, 07:31
There is no legal requirement in the UK to carry any particular type of chart.

You need to carry information suitable for the flight. I am sure somebody will dig out the ANO reference for me ;)

How about ANO Schedule 4, para 5 Table, item (2) Aeroplanes, which requires (inter alia) Scale A(2) to be carried, which is:

Scale A
(2) Maps, charts, codes and other documents and navigational equipment necessary, in addition to any other equipment required under this Order, for the intended flight of the aircraft including any diversion which may reasonably be expected.
Is that what you had in mind... ?

JD
:)

BackPacker
25th Apr 2009, 08:24
(2) Maps, charts, codes and other documents and navigational equipment necessary,

Ah, but who decides what is necessary?

If I'm sufficiently familiar with the local area to execute a local flight as intended without a map, and I even would know my way to a diversion airfield or two from memory, would I legally need a map?

Seriously, I do fly a lot of aerobatics and the more stuff we can leave on the ground, the better.

Jumbo Driver
25th Apr 2009, 09:04
Ah, but who decides what is necessary?

Clearly the Commander has the responsibility to decide what is necessary - but, as I read it, the adjectival phrase "necessary ... for the intended flight ..." qualifies the nounal phrase "other documents and navigational equipment" - so you could (as devil's advocate) argue that "maps, charts and codes" are always required.

Anyway, I was only trying to help IO540 with an ANO reference ... I was certainly not intending to visit, let alone re-open, this boring old chestnut yet again ...

JD
:bored:

IO540
25th Apr 2009, 09:37
I was picking up on Genghis' post

A current chart is a legal requirement

Mike Cross
25th Apr 2009, 10:17

And they're so damned seasonal! It's fine at this time of year when it's easy to see the bright yellow bits but once the farmers have harvested the rape I'm lost.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/218/513912828_3b3ec3eab2.jpg?v=0

flybymike
25th Apr 2009, 17:01
You said it Mike. All those bright yellow towns get really confusing.:)

jez d
2nd May 2009, 09:16
I've heard that NATS is to take over publication of the CAA charts. Allegedly, better single database, cooperation and all the other usual platitudes but no doubt extra cost eventually!
Note to self: must stop being so cynical!

Your cynicism is justified. Press release from the CAA :

Increase to the price of CAA VFR charts

Periodically the CAA charts increase in price to take into account rises in the cost of production – pilots and chart users should therefore note that from 1st May 2009 the charts have increased by £1. From that date the charts will continue to be available from the usual stockists at the new price of £15.99.

Whilst the CAA appreciates that the increase in retail price was short notice the rise was fundamental in establishing a viable business case to support the recent commercial agreement between the CAA and NATS. The transfer of the Aeronautical Charts and Data function from the CAA, as UK Aviation Regulator, to NATS, as the Air Traffic Service Provider, will ensure that the current high standard of UK charting will continue and will also allow NATS to develop and invest in the service.

ShyTorque
2nd May 2009, 09:49
You said it Mike. All those bright yellow towns get really confusing.

Not as bad as the polythene lakes, though.