PDA

View Full Version : Charging for entry to 'Aero-Expo'

rogerbucks
23rd Apr 2009, 11:15
I just registered for this year's Aero Expo, only to see that they intend to relieve me of a fiver (discounted from the gate price of £15) for the privelige!

I attended last year- it was an interesting show, and I spent a bit of money on kit from Transair and another Company. However, I think it is a B.nerve charging punters to go in, especially in the current economic climate.

Think I'll give it a miss this year:(

robin
23rd Apr 2009, 11:44
Roger

That is a very short-sighted attitude.

Given the fuel I'll be using to fly in, a £5 is neither here nor there, and I can save that by not eating one of the burgers and on the deals I'll be making at some of the stands.

I can't remember whether or not we have to pay landing fees as well,but this is a bugbear of mine.

At a recent flyin at my local field we had nearly 100 aircraft, which pleased us enormously. The we found that no-one had had to pay a landing fee because of one of the free landing offers. And almost no-one took on fuel.

It makes you wonder why anyone wants the hassle of running and airfield if pilots acts like cheapskates all the time.

If I had my way, there would only be 1/2 price landing vouchers. We want these airfields to stay in business and they need income.

(Rant over)

MagpiePedro
23rd Apr 2009, 11:51
Im an instructor at Wycmbe Air Park and I'l be effectively grounded for 3 days while aero expo is on, loosing out on about £200 pounds worth of revenue. £5 not a lot to loose out on in the long run but I take your point. The chances are the stalls and exhibitions will make enough money from visitors without having to subsidise their earnings with £5 from everyone who attends.

gpn01
23rd Apr 2009, 12:33
Im an instructor at Wycmbe Air Park and I'l be effectively grounded for 3 days while aero expo is on, loosing out on about £200 pounds worth of revenue.

And presumably those three days can be put to good use recruiting people who you can then teach at a later date?

MagpiePedro
23rd Apr 2009, 12:41
In theory, but I would be surprised if, given the current economic climate, that more than half a dozen people showed any real interest, and even then theres another dozen or so instructors to throw into the mix. Id love it if we managed to recruit 50 people but Im not so sure.

goatface
23rd Apr 2009, 15:22
This is the sort of thing that really pisses me off, be it Agricultural Show, Country Fair, Crafts Show, Antiques Show or Aero Expo etc.

Why the **** should I pay to enter an arena which has been hired for the exclusive aim of charging the punter to get in, charging the punter extortionate prices for food and other refreshments and finally, charging the punter doubly extortionate prices for goods therein which two weeks hence will be half the price, or even retail at the time at less than prices charged at that exhibition?
With the exception of a very small number of such shows, I have to travel to said exhibitions, pay to park and pay to enter.

They are nothing but a complete and utter rip off and, with the possible exception of the Boat Show, there are no advantages to attending other than, if you have a trade invitation, getting a free lunch and free booze.

smarthawke
23rd Apr 2009, 16:38
Personally, I think it beggars belief that people feel they are being ripped off by being charged £5 to enter Aero-Expo (and incidentally, the entrance money goes to the show organisers not the airfield operator).

When was the last time you went wandering around a shopping centre without paying to park your car, attended the London or NEC motorshow for nothing (NEC = £8 just to park the car)?

Why not treat it as a day out for ONLY a fiver, meet up with friends and put the world to rights whilst ambling around looking at what's available? Who knows, you might stop being a grumpy g*t and actually enjoy yourself....

goatface
23rd Apr 2009, 17:18
So would you expect to be charged to enter a Transair Shop, or a visit to Harry Mendleson's place in Edinburgh?
It's a ridiculous concept and, given the moans and groans on this forum about being charged for everything else I can't believe that anyone would support the idea of being charged to enter what is no more than a big shop.

Boycot any trade fair which charges you to enter, then the industry will get the idea.:ugh::hmm:

smarthawke
23rd Apr 2009, 18:33
So just out of interest, dear goatface, what makes the boatshow the exception to the rule?

mad_jock
23rd Apr 2009, 18:40
I thought it was all to do with this public liability insurance with events with more than ??? present.

Stopped a heap of country fairs and Highland Games up North. You were talking a tenner a head just to stand in a cow park because of some public gathering Law. The fact the event had run for the last 60 years and apart from the odd punch up between the young farmers (they were all still up to feed the beasts the next day) no one was ever hurt.

Pilotdom
23rd Apr 2009, 22:02
Threads like this always make me laugh! £5 to enter a show which is based around us, and by us I mean pilots and the GA scene. Now, it may have escaped people like goatface, but we are not a massive industry, with millions of customers. The very fact that a show is being put on at all in this country is good enough for me. £5 is very little to pay for the benefit of having the show. If you don't go to Aeroexpo, chances are you'll be paying a landing fee of a tenner to go and land elsewhere. I suppose as the GA community, we either use it or loose it.