PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Uk PPL sylabus and New Zealand PPL?

hightower1986
23rd Apr 2009, 08:51
Has anybody done there PPL in New Zealand and gone back to fly in the UK? If so were there any differences you were not expecting and do you know any of the diffrencces betwen the 2? I understand that only 2 hours is required flying instruments in the UK and that Low Flying is not taught either?

hightower1986
24th Apr 2009, 10:54
Anyone??:)

Arclite01
24th Apr 2009, 13:55
OK here we go - I flew in NZ for 2 years.

I went there with a UK JAR PPL - I was required to do 1 hour of low flying, 5 hours of instrument flying, 1 hour of mountain flying, 5 hours of additional 'handling' for the NZ PPL.

Back in the UK you will find that the NZ PPL requires you to complete a skills test and whatever other 'familiarisation traing' (nav etc) the FTO requires but overall you'll not be required to do much more to convert.

Hope this helps

Arc

tropicalfridge
25th Apr 2009, 09:02
There won't be much of a conversion. As far as I know, for the JAA PPL you need 3hrs instrument, but otherwise you will find all of the commonwealth countries base their PPL on RAF basic training and are thus much the same. Best search for LASORS on google and read the exact details there regarding converting a foreign licence.

hightower1986
25th Apr 2009, 10:22
yeah the conversion part isnt a worry was just mainly intersted in what i will or will not know compared to others in the Uk with Uk training. Wow LASORS such a difficult read!! takes about 20minutes to get the information you need or to be able to understand it!:bored: