PDA

View Full Version : Plane lands on Highway

atmosphere
22nd Apr 2009, 21:01
BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Plane's forced landing on US street (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8013060.stm)

A big thumbs up to this chap

Crepello
23rd Apr 2009, 02:12
Surprised this hasn't been discussed elsewhere. Great piece of video - and aviating!

Particularly liked the CFI's poker-faced calmness throughout, declining transfer of control from the student, continuing the lesson, applauding the landing and followup up with positive feedback. Quite a day for those guys... :D:D

Basil
23rd Apr 2009, 08:04
What a bit of luck to have two cameras running :hmm:

Platinum206
23rd Apr 2009, 12:24
CFI's poker-faced calmness throughout, declining transfer of control from the student, continuing the lesson, applauding the landing and followup up with positive feedback.

Huh? :confused: Am I missing something?

Other than the hand clapping at the end this makes little sense, unless you've seen a different video or read antoher article?

Who said he was a CFI?
Whos said he was a student?
Who said it was a lesson?
Where was the positive feedback?

I'm not picking an argument here don't get me wrong, I'm just genuinely bemused as to your comments!

P206

DownIn3Green
23rd Apr 2009, 18:04
:bored::bored:CBS news this morning interviewed both pilots...1 was a CFI, don't know about the pther one...

It was a homebuilt "kit" a/c, and they were headed to Sun n' fun at Lakeland...

Apparently the plane belonged to a friend of theirs...

Crepello
24th Apr 2009, 04:52
DownIn3 summed up the version I saw reported - student pilot under instruction; plane had been camera'd-up to make an instructional video.

But I can see your point P206 - from some perspectives, it could seem a bit [I]too...[I] erm, coincidental.

Mark1234
24th Apr 2009, 06:42
Assuming all is as appears, a happy outcome. I wonder, would you go for the road though?

Urban area, lots of posts and people - it'd only take 1 wire you didn't see, 1 car...

coineach
24th Apr 2009, 09:06
It all goes to show the BBC have very little (other) news apart from the way the country is being run. Maybe they should concentrate on that or have they just become a mothpiece for a failing and incompitent government full of halfwits and morons with their noses stuck deep in the public trough?

What a song and dance about very little. Just more dumb a** journalists who have propbably only used a plane for going on holiday looking for a bit of cheap sensationalism and failing miserably.

Firstly I would have said the reason for the engine stop was a fuel problem - either no fuel (thus pilot error), or a fault with the fuel pump or delivery - (possibly yet again pilot error).

They managed to restart the engine, just to have it stop after a few moments - so more than likely a fuel starvation problem. Fuel vapourisation?? Hot ambient temperature - using wrong type of fuel (mogas)??? I would be interested in finding out why the engine stopped, certainly did not sound to be mechanical.

If the pilot was a CFI, then that would be one flying school I NOT want to be taught by. :}

In the UK, PPLs are constantly taught engine failure drills and SHOULD be practicing them regularly, so when it happens, then your reactions are "automatic".

When last did you last practice an engine out drill????????????

BRL
24th Apr 2009, 13:39
This is the third thread regarding this incident.

In one of the others was an interview with the pilot. He was giving his mate a lift to an airshow. His mate, the guy on the right is a flimaker.

Raw video:April 21/09.WINTER HAVEN.

As a flight instructor, Kyle Davis teaches his students how to make emergency landings. On Sunday, he got put to the test.

"I was incredibly lucky," Davis told FOX 13. "It was a whole bunch of luck and a little bit of experience."

Davis, and his passenger, a professional videographer, left Gilbert Field in Winter Haven around 10:30 a.m. They were on their way to the Sun 'N Fun Fly in, a 15-minute flight.

Since so many other planes were flying there as well, Davis's passenger told FOX 13 that they thought "it would be cool" to video their trip.

Just minutes after taking off, the engine conked out. Davis got it going again, then it stopped a second time. Then, a third.

"He was just awesome," said John Amundsen, who taught Davis to fly. "I just hope if I ever have a situation like that, I am as cool as Kyle was."

As the plane got closer and closer to the ground, Davis had to make a split-second decision. Land in a nearby lake, or on Havendale Boulevard -- one of Winter Haven's busiest streets.

For whatever reason, there was no traffic on his side of Havendale, so Davis set her down there.

Now people around the world are watching what happened on YouTube. By Tuesday, it had gotten thousands of hits.

Even though Davis may have nerves of steel, a number of words on the video are bleeped out.

"I was saying my prayers," Davis said. "I was saying my prayers."

deltayankee
25th Apr 2009, 08:01
I wonder, would you go for the road though?

You might if you have noticed previously from a ground level recce that there are no wires. I have to admit that I have more than once walked or driven along a road and looked to see if a landing would be possible. Even in dense urban areas there are streets where there were no obstacles, but just as often there are too many wires.