PDA

View Full Version : ????Shady VISA????

CherryBomb
22nd Apr 2009, 15:09
I dont know what to think of this. Perhaps its common, but it seems shady to me.

Im an American expat and I just got a job flying job in Indonesia. They purchased me airline tickets to Singapore then to Indonesia.

Here is the funny part, I have a one day lay over in Singapore where they are goining to "obtain" my Indo VISA. They told me to go to a fast food restaraunt where I will meet a guy whom I will give him my passport and a bunch of money. He will then dissapear for a few hours to later return with my passport with a VISA in it. Magic???

The Indonesian company assures me its safe, but I have a difficult time believing this is safe or normal.

Am I just paranoid or should I just go with the flow???

PA38-Pilot
22nd Apr 2009, 15:47
Call the Indonesian embassy and ask them what is the normal procedure to get a VISA.

411A
22nd Apr 2009, 16:34
I obtained an Indo visa in a similar fashion long ago, and it worked just fine.
However, I knew the folks in the mix.

Rainboe
22nd Apr 2009, 18:13
You're not in the 'lower 49' now! Ways and means are different. If this is the standard technique, and you have been told to do that, if you want the job, do it! Passports aren't so expensive that this is some grand scam- that must be the way it's done!

Dungdang
23rd Apr 2009, 01:17
I do licences at a big multinational in Jakarta, so I believe that your employer has arranged a number of papers in Jakarta for allowing your employment, and is getting you a visa in Singapore that allows you to enter Jakarta - not as a tourist visa, which cannot be converted - and convert that visa later in Jakarta in a visa with work permit. Appareantly the cooperation with the officials in Singapore is that good, that they do not need your presence....

It's South East Asia...

mutt
23rd Apr 2009, 07:57
Appareantly the cooperation with the officials in Singapore is that good, that they do not need your presence.... Yep, thats how i got a visa many years ago, delivered passport to someone, couple hours later got the visa, never went to see the consulate :)

Mutt

dixi188
23rd Apr 2009, 10:38
So what happens to your passport while it is out of sight with all that biometric data?

Copied, Scanned, Skimmed or Identity stolen???

If this happens in Singapore (fairly respected country) is it any wonder that terrorists and other undesirables are able to move around the world quite easily.

However normal this procedure is, it doesn't sound right to me.

forget
23rd Apr 2009, 10:45
...... it doesn't sound right to me.

That's how it works. Always has done. Enjoy Indonesia.

CherryBomb
23rd Apr 2009, 23:51
Thank for the info fellas, Im just gonna go with the flow...

Old Smokey
24th Apr 2009, 06:50
Go with the flow, but if you are concerned, go to the U.S. Embassy at 27 Napier Road and register as a U.S. citizen in Singapore. Also take a look at how to register at Home - U.S. Embassy Singapore (http://singapore.usembassy.gov)

And DO keep 1 or 2 photocopies of your passport and your Singapore Visitor Visa "just in case". I've helped a few friends who have lost passports, having a photo-copy of the original enables processing within hours, rather than many days.

Regards,

Old Smokey

aseanaero
27th Apr 2009, 21:58
Here is the funny part, I have a one day lay over in Singapore where they are goining to "obtain" my Indo VISA. They told me to go to a fast food restaraunt where I will meet a guy whom I will give him my passport and a bunch of money. He will then dissapear for a few hours to later return with my passport with a VISA in it. Magic???

Normal , welcome to life in the Big Durian !

Indonesia has lots of 'magic' in all areas of social , business and personal spheres

Even the local auto panel beater can be identified by 'ketok magic' on the front gates , they can repair and then put a spell on your car to make sure it is protected. In reality they probably curse it to keep business coming in.

-