PDA

View Full Version : GA Airfield near Newcastle - Recommendations?

rmdr2
22nd Apr 2009, 11:20
Hi folks

I'm looking to fly up to Newcastle next month for an overnighter, but I am unfamiliar with the area.

Can anyone recommend a decent airfield up there with good links into town?

I am hoping not to get stung with huge landing fees and fuel prices.

I will be flying a C182 fully loaded, so short soft fields will not work

Many thanks

Rmdr2

VT10
22nd Apr 2009, 11:37
Peterlee would be my recommendation. You've around 720 Metres of grass (nice & solid at the moment) and 550 of tarmac.
The airfield is right beside the A19 making Newcastle possible in a 30 minute drive.
Fuel is also available and charges are reasonable.

The alternative would be Eshott, north of Newcastle, but nowhere near as accessible.

The parachute club operate a C182 out of Peterlee...

Rishy
22nd Apr 2009, 12:45
VT10's named both options but I would argue Eshott is better located for links to Newcastle. A short taxi ride into Morpeth then a train to central Newcastle. Peterlee is closer but public transport links aren't as good.

Two tarmac runways at Eshott and a very friendly bunch of people.

Rish :ok:

L'aviateur
22nd Apr 2009, 15:18
It's really dependant on how much time you have and what your intentions are, both Peterlee and Eshott are the closest to Newcastle, but still a good 30 mins to an hour away on Public Transport.

Flying into Newcastle is relatively easy, and there is a Metro direct from the terminal to Newcastle City. If I recall landing fees are around 15-20 pounds, I don't think it could do any harm to call the GA Handling at EGNT(Samson +44 (0) 191 2864156) to see if you can negotiate something.

I find Newcastle ATC very accomodating to GA and will always try to squeeze you between commercial aircraft.

On the other hand, the great thing about Eshott is that it's fairly close to Alnwick, which is a really nice place, whilst some of the small coastal villages to the East are also great for a nice day out.

rmdr2
22nd Apr 2009, 15:51
Thanks for the info on EGNT(Samson +44 (0) 191 2864156)

Just called them...

For C182 on a Saturday AM to Sunday PM stay...

Landing fee - £25 + VAT

Handling fee - £22 + VAT

2 * 24hr parking fees - £16 + VAT

Scandalous! £75!!!! Just to land and park a C182!

The fella did point out that Newcastle is an “International” airport!

I have landed many times at LAX, Chicago, Calgary, list goes on…. All free to GA!

What is wrong with this country???

ACARS
22nd Apr 2009, 16:42
yeah but you do get a nice follow me truck to direct you to the GA area :ok:

Duchess_Driver
22nd Apr 2009, 17:10
A nice follow me truck.......vacate at Foxtrot and follow the yellow line. No truck needed.

It was a friendly local club airfield long before it was an international airport, and it's not as if an 'international' airport is relevant to me wanting to park a Cirrus / C182 and walk the 20 metres with a high-vis jacket to the 'shiny' offices of Samson.

Don't mind the £20 landing fee - but the only time in the last 8 years that parking has been a 'problem' was the one night before the Sunderland airshow. And then there was still space. Extortionate rates designed to keep GA away (needlessly IMHO).

Don't get me wrong, the chaps (and chappesses) at Samson and ATC are all very helpful and professional - always get a sterling service from them. Just don't think I can afford to go there too often nowadays.

And regarding the 182 into a short field, check the POH carefully - you'd be surprised at how little room you actually do need.

julian_storey
22nd Apr 2009, 17:34
The folks working for Samson at Newcastle are always HUGELY helpful.

They have free coffee and posh biscuits. If you try hard enough, you should be able to eat and drink your way through £22 worth :E

L'aviateur
22nd Apr 2009, 20:07
They have plenty of parking, so it does seem ridiculous to charge so much. They charge that price they get a few visitors, if they charged half the price they'd get a lot more vistors, more regularly.

NorthSouth
22nd Apr 2009, 20:38
[QUOTE]Extortionate rates designed to keep GA away[/QUOTE ]Don't forget that GA includes the Gulfstream 550 parked next to your 182 and happily paying thousands to come into Newcastle. Those are the GA they're interested in.
NS

Pilotdom
22nd Apr 2009, 21:49
Ah, the age old £75.00 for landing and overnight parking 'You What, I anint paying that argument!' So, you land elsewhere, 30-60mins from where you wanna be. You get a taxi there, taxi back, all the faffing about etc etc of public transport and for what? £55.00 quid more than it will cost you elsewhere. I know what I would be doing, i'd be saving the taxi fares and 30-60 mins on public transport and paying the extra.

tonker
22nd Apr 2009, 22:47
This is a fairly large gliding strip not 5 miles from town(west). Might be a long shot but if they are happy and you can get fuel on the way back then it might save you alot of money and time.

Try looking for "engine road" nw of "currock hill"

1 mile east of "Hedley" ese of "Hedley on the hill"

bonniejack
23rd Apr 2009, 07:33
I'm with Pilotdom on this for all his reasons but also aircraft security. I wouldn't feel confortable leaving an aircraft out overnight on a deserted strip near a town (assuming of course that it is left outside)