PDA

View Full Version : my first solo today

Asrian
21st Apr 2009, 21:39
Just back from the airfield and I just need to share it with someone :)
Most of my relatives and friends are not into flying and don't care... :(

This evening, somewhere on a grass strip in germany, I did my three circuits and full stop landings on a Diamond Katana DV 20.
Sunny evening, great visibility and almost no wind.
After some circuits the instructor got out and said "Do Your next ones alone!"... :ooh:

My first circuit and landing was ok, but on downwind I had the low sun on the horizon against me. But visibility was ok.
At next final some light wind came up and changed direction to cross and slightly behind. Without instructor the Katana was a lot lighter and therefore even more agile as she already is. For a second I also put the flaps up instead of full down :O , recognised the mistake and corrected it immediately a few seconds later. So I came in quite high this time and had some wind gusts and thermals also. But managed to get her down within the limits.
At the last circuit the wind had changed direction a little more to the back so the instructor asked at the radio if I wanted the opposite runway to land on but because the wind was very light and because I would have had the low sun on the horizon against me on final I decided to take the first one still. Had to use quite some stick and rudder to get her down on the field within the limits due to light gusts and some thermals.
Relief! Happiness! Joy! :)

Then on taxi back to the hangar it happened: Suddenly I heard a strange noise from the front wheel and I had to apply more throttle to keep moving forward. I'm cautious at taxi and not too fast, because its a bumpy grass-strip. But...now somehow the front wheel had a flat tyre! :uhoh:

The instructor and other guys from the flying club assured me that my landings and taxi speed were ok and within the limits and that such things just can happen any time...
But it was quite a surprise and I'm still happy it happened at the end and not earlier... :hmm:

DX Wombat
21st Apr 2009, 21:52
Congratulations! It's something you will never forget. Now, sit back, have a glass of your favourite tipple and just enjoy the wonderful feeling. :ok: :)

BackPacker
21st Apr 2009, 23:13
And another aviator joins our ranks. Congratulations!:ok:

Lightning6
21st Apr 2009, 23:33
Well done Captain, I remember mine vividly although it was 34 years ago!! you will too. :ok:

Pilot DAR
22nd Apr 2009, 00:34
Congratulations, now you know that you have what it takes to learn. With the right attitude, you'll never stop learning!

My first first solo was 32 years ago, my second first solo (helicopter) was 2 years ago. I have recent recollection of the feeling! You just can't explain it to someone who has not done it.

I've flown 8 different aircraft type in the last month, and definately learned something valuable on each of those types! I have so much to learn too!

Fly safe...

Pilot DAR

bjornhall
22nd Apr 2009, 08:34
Congratulations! :ok: And it only gets more fun from here! :):)

fireblade2000uk
22nd Apr 2009, 08:35
Many congratulations. I'm possibly doing mine this weekend, weather permitting. Feeling quite nervous but looking forward to it.

Bullethead
22nd Apr 2009, 09:00
G'day Asrian,

Well done mate! It's a great feeling isn't it? And the aeroplane goes so much better without the 90kgs of ballast in the other seat. :} Mine was over 35 years ago and like some of the others I can remember it vividly. There will be several other firsts in your aviation adventure but nothing will compare with your first solo.

Congratulations and well done,
BH. :ok:

trident3A
22nd Apr 2009, 09:05
Well done! You've joined the fellowship of aviators!

Rodent1982
22nd Apr 2009, 09:07
Congrates! Fantastic feeling. I completed my first solo and second 3 weeks ago, still can't get over it.

:D

captain_flynn
22nd Apr 2009, 15:31
Congratulations! :ok: Going solo for the first time is an amazing feeling.

fireflybob
22nd Apr 2009, 17:35
My first solo was 40 years ago this June and I can remember it like yesterday. Well done and Fly Safe!

Crash one
22nd Apr 2009, 17:47
Congratulations, Seems a lot more involved than mine was, changing winds, low sun, flat tyres. well done Captain!!

alexka
22nd Apr 2009, 19:35
For sure one of best days in life! Congratulations! :ok:

alvin-sfc
22nd Apr 2009, 19:50
Mine was in a Chipmunk. just after 3 o'clock, Dec 29th 1977 at Tollerton. Well done Asrian, you are a pilot.:ok:

mary meagher
22nd Apr 2009, 20:35
Great day! now the follow on...as soon as ever you can, consolidate. This means more flying very soon, this week for sure. Lots of people go solo and think that's all they need to do, and stop! but to become a pilot, this is the first step and the sooner you get on with it the better.

Have fun!

krohmie
22nd Apr 2009, 22:11
Well done and welcome

---> Many happy and save landings!

Greetings Thomas
soloed in 95 in a 30 year old K7 Glider.

Asrian
22nd Apr 2009, 23:17
Thanks for Your comments guys!
I'm happy and excited to have passed this important milestone and I know its only a first step...

Another
22nd Apr 2009, 23:34
congratulations,
where in germany did you fly?

jonburf
23rd Apr 2009, 21:10
Hi. well done my friend. You are now well on the path to poverty. I did mine with a 12 Knot crosswind, during the only weekend of the year when there was snow.
It's the only experience we have in aviation that every person only has 1 time and it is said that you never forget it.

well done
jon

ssangyongs
26th Apr 2009, 02:24
congratulations....i'm flying cirrus sr20 and probably will had mine next week hopefully. I'm on my 17th hour of instruction and actually failed my solo check yesterday due to silly mistakes on ground...

anyone has tips how to overcome fear and restlessness before going solo. The worst thing is that friends are expecting it...:ugh:

The Heff
28th Apr 2009, 14:12
Feeling the same need as Asrian, I am compelled to remark upon this thread that I've just flown my first solo today in a Cessna 150 in the not so sunny skies of North Lincolnshire.

Bit of luck actually as there was very little wind, so no need to worry about being blown about, and although it was somewhat overcast the cloud base was approximately 2000 feet above ground level so good enough for circuits. Had the check with the CFI and struggled to contain my excitement when he said: "You can definately fly".

I back-tracked up the runway, dancing on the rudder-pedals to stop the nose-wheel shimmying, and parked up to conduct the power and pre-take off checks. All ready, a quick scan of the skies and line up on the runway. Last checks, full throttle and boy did she go!

Quite pleased with my landing actually, the approach was a bit wider than normal but the final leg was long enough to sort that out. Couldn't really say I felt the wheels touch the ground to be honest! Its only a circuit of the aerodrome, but a memory that will last forever.

:)

G CEXO
28th Apr 2009, 23:06
Congratulations :ok:

G-XO