PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Pilot III - REPAIR

stiknruda
21st Apr 2009, 17:48
I've not tried the search function as I am back on dial-up in the wilds of E Anglia, so apologies if this annoys anyone!

My trusty GPS III, which really is only used to back up rho/theta nav will no longer power up.

1. Does anyone have recommendations as to where it could be sent for repair?

2. Should it prove to be unrepairable, what should I replace it with? I'm not gadget-boy and would like something with similar functionality.

It is hard-wired into my aeroplane but has occasional battery powered forays into other people's kites.

Thanks,

Stik

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Apr 2009, 17:52
Would recommend you send it to Garmin for repair and there is a good possibility that they will do it for free. They have an exceptionally good name for after sales service and I have received two replacement GPSrs from Garmin, free of charge. One was many years out of warranty and bought overseas.

Robin400
22nd Apr 2009, 18:10
Check that the battery connections are clean. If a battery has had a slight leak they may be corroded.
Good luck mine has worked fine for may years

Running Footman007
22nd Apr 2009, 23:17
i can vouch for garmin,they replaced the screen on my gps111 for free,very impressed.

jonkil
23rd Apr 2009, 13:00
Consider the Garmin 295 if you are replacing the 3 pilot..
I had a 3 pilot for sale, just sold it to a chap in the channel islands.
The 295 has the same power plug so will fit into your aircraft.
I replaced my 295 with a 296 and I much prefer my old 295... much easier to see.

Jon

stiknruda
23rd Apr 2009, 14:18
Thanks all.

It's on its way to Garmin in So'ton. £85 which includes the latest database.

I must confess that I thought it to be out of support! And I didn't really want to buy a new one!

Stik

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Apr 2009, 15:55
I'll be surprised if they actually charge you. They frequently quote a repair charge but then replace the kit with a new one. Last time they delivered mine by courier 2 days after I dropped it off wi them - all for free!

stiknruda
23rd Apr 2009, 16:09
They took my cc number and asked to debit £85!

Well worth it if I get a new one, fair if they succesfully repair the 9 yr old unit.

Stik

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st May 2009, 18:45
So, what was the outcome?

stiknruda
2nd May 2009, 16:29
Oh sorry!

A reconditioned unit (looks spankers) arrived by courier on Tuesday. New database but I have lost my user way-points, no big deal really.

All in all quite delighted!

Stik