PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying hours NPPL

DucatiPilot
21st Apr 2009, 05:54
Hi folks,

Newbie here trying to get his licence after years of being told 'NO' - separate story to follow when I have a coffee and tem minutes to hand...

My question is:

Started NPPL SSEP last year - up to about 17 hours in C 152 and very close to going solo (my mother was diagnosed with cancer and died whilst I was training - so not able to focus too well) and ran out of money...

This year it was suggested I join the Gliding Club on the same airfield and pick up my training on the Grob 109B and complete my training initially to NPPL SLG standard - then do the required differences training to get SSEP (they have a Supermonk that I'm itching to climb into!).

Attraction of this is the far lower cost per hour and the introduction to taildragging (plus training on the gliding side - which can only improve my skills as a pilot).

Just completed second hour on Grob yesterday - a lot to learn and landing using spoilers I'm finding just a little interesting - plus the 'interesting' ground handling for someone more used to Cessna...

Now - can anyone confirm that I can just continue to log my hours towards my NPPL continuing on from the SSEP training - or does the 'clock' start again now I'm on SLGs (i.e. can I count the 17(ish) hours on the Cessna towards my total in the Grob).

If anyones interested I may post my progress in a separate thread (now there's a threat! ;)

Iain
West Oxon

Whopity
21st Apr 2009, 06:57
All the information regarding licensing requirements and credits can be found here: NPPL (http://www.nppl.uk.com/)3.4 Incomplete SEP, SSEA, Microlight and/or ATC/CCF training
Credit may be given for training on SEP, SSEA and/or Microlight aircraft which has not been fully completed; applicants seeking credit for such training should contact the NPPL (SLMG) assistance advisers. Credit may also be given for ATC/CCF flying training conducted on the Vigilant TMG. All accreditation requirements will be determined by the applicant’s current experience and will be
assessed individually. The applicant will be required to complete the minimum instructional training hours for the NPPL (SLMG), to pass the JAR-FCL PPL (A) theoretical examinations and to pass the NPPL NST and GST in a SLMG.

znww5
21st Apr 2009, 08:53
Iain - Whopity basically said it all - just give them a ring at Turweston and they will advise, they are usually very helpful. BTW, so as not to confuse NPPL HQ when you ring, the NPPL categories are SSEA and SLMG - you'll get extra brownie points for the correct terminology :ok:

I fly a PA28, but I have flown Grob 109Bs on a number of occasions - in the air I thought it was a very pleasant aircraft to fly with good visibility, nice handling and I much preferred a stick to a yoke - far more intuitive. On the ground it takes a little getting used to after a trike, but you'll find that it all slots into place after a few sessions.

The stick+throttle / airbrakes+stick changeover always seems a bit clumsy to me and ideally I'd like to see a single airbrake lever in the centre, but I suppose that's the gliding heritage making its presence felt.

Good luck with your training - have fun!

BEagle
21st Apr 2009, 09:34
The flexible response which the CAA delegated to NPLG over such issues will, unfortunately, disappear under heavy-handed €urocracy if the wretched EASA 'LPL' ever sees the light of day.....:mad: