PDA

View Full Version : ATPL sys exam questions

downwind
21st Apr 2009, 03:28
Hello all,

doing atpl exam study and found these questions which i can't find answers to; looked up internet/ theory books for these still can't get answers.

1. What is de-icing paste exactly?

2. how are refuelling valves operated?

3. when air is pressurised what happens to % of oxygen

4. rotation of main landing gear bogie relative to shock strut is prevented by?

5. when fitting a new tyre to an aircraft, does creep occur?

6. how is it possible to completely drain trapped oil and water in a pnuematic system?

7. what happens if there is a leak in the bellows of a pnuematic pressure regulator valve?

8. rubber matts are rated at (ie turboprop leading edge)?

9. how long will emergency torch operate for?

10. pnuematic return line is situated between the component and the xxx??

11. air trapped in hydraulic system, what to do?

thank you.

Jofm5
21st Apr 2009, 03:59
I prepare myself to be shot down in flames (as I am not a pilot in any way) but if from what I have gleaned from on here is correct then:-

Anti - icing is the ability for the aircraft to take preventative measures against icing - i.e. using icing boots or bleed air from the engine to prevent ice from forming on the control surfaces. I would say from the name that anti-icing is performed when icing conditions are expected and may not be effective once icing is known.

De-Icing is where measures are taken to remove ice known to be present. Using again boots, bleed air or what ever is available. Once you know the ice is there you are trying to counter act it.

Gladly shot down in flames to learn a little more :)

ReverseFlight
21st Apr 2009, 05:05
downwind, I admire your tenacity in finding answers to such questions, but you probably realise most of these are not typical questions you'd get in an Aussie ATPL exam (apart from maybe 5 and 10). So don't worry too much about it for purposes of the exam if you can't find the answers for the moment.

3. is really a CPL question.
5. yes
10. I am not aware of return lines for pneumatic systems.
Others - would anyone else like to chip in ?

Actually when I self-studied for the systems exam, I also looked at the many websites (JAA, FAA etc) which provided (free) questions and answers on ATPL systems topics and the total ambit of these were far greater than the Aussie exams. It enriched my knowledge no end. The most interesting subject of all the ATPL exams, IMHO.

downwind
21st Apr 2009, 05:50
not for the oz exams but the british jar ones!

nick14
21st Apr 2009, 08:50
Downwind,

3. Nothing (think of the atmosphere no change in % oxygen from upper atmos to surface only the partial pressure changes)

4. Torque link

11. Bleed the system of the air.

Hope that helps

Nick

Dangnammit
21st Apr 2009, 08:58
Isn't the paste a glycol solution like the antifreeze in your car?

Apparently vodka works too!

ReverseFlight
22nd Apr 2009, 09:52
I agree with nick14 that you should know about 4 & 11 for Oz ATPLs.

Dangnammit, I believe you are referring to the famous story of an aircraft getting freezed up on the tarmac somewhere in the Russian winter. With no anti-icing agents available, the Captain ordered many bottles of vodka (easily available there) and emptied their contents on the wings. This managed to rid the wing-icing before taking off and continuing on their journey.

Old Smokey
22nd Apr 2009, 10:44
downwind,

A paste (typically applied to propellers) whose physical characteristics prevent or restrict ice build-up. After long exposure to ice, the de-icing paste will be lost, really only short-medium term protection.

2. how are refuelling valves operated?

Usually mechanically or electricaly to open the valve/s to allow fuel to be pumped into the tanks. Additionally, when the refuelling hose nozzle is inserted, it physically unseats the main refuelling valve.

3. when air is pressurised what happens to % of oxygen

It remains the same.

Torque links

5. when fitting a new tyre to an aircraft, does creep occur?

Yes, but it wasn't always that way. Earlier (and some current generation) aircraft had a painted mark on the rim and the tyre/tire to check that creep had not taken place.

6. how is it possible to completely drain trapped oil and water in a pnuematic system?

By purging the system with high pressure clean dry air. If unavailable, the only way is to virtually dis-assemble the main components and clean them individually (I had to do it in the field once)

7. what happens if there is a leak in the bellows of a pnuematic pressure regulator valve?

Pneumatic pressure control is lost, usually leading to over-pressure in the pneumatic system up to relief valve pressure.

8. rubber matts are rated at (ie turboprop leading edge)?

Up to the Vne for the aircraft (I think that was the intent of your question)

9. how long will emergency torch operate for?

Regulations require a minimum of 15 minutes duration, but individual types vary and often exceed this.

10. pnuematic return line is situated between the component and the xxx??

It is dumped overboard (air is renewable, hydraulic fluid is not, which is why it is returned to the reservoir). Strictly speaking, pneumatic systems don't have a return line.

11. air trapped in hydraulic system, what to do?

Bleed the system (similar to bleeding brakes on a car).

Did I pass the exam?:E

Regards,

Old Smokey

downwind
22nd Apr 2009, 11:51
thanks old smokey,

in reference to question 8 rubber matts I am after the electrical rating of them, thank you for your kind help of these questions.

Pugilistic Animus
22nd Apr 2009, 14:47
I think it's obvious that Old Smokey had a good MPL course and went integrated instead of modular :}

411A
22nd Apr 2009, 16:30

Torque links

To add further, IF these torque links break, incredable amouts of landing gear damage can occur.

Not pretty.

Old Smokey
24th Apr 2009, 06:16
Downwind,

Regarding Question 8, it will depend entirely upon the individual aircraft, small, medium, and large.

Many aircraft don't access the main electrical system for electricaly heated de-iceing, carrying additional "Frequency Wild" Alternators to do this work. Small vital components such as Pitot Heat typically are heated by the main electrical system.

Regards, and good luck with your exam,

Old Smokey

Dangnammit
24th Apr 2009, 07:05
I was referring to that russian story.

Recently did my aus AASA exam and never saw anything about paste. Just 2 different viscosity anti freeze liquids.