PDA

View Full Version : Learning on a budget - cost NPPL(SLMG) = NPPL(M)?

impulse9
20th Apr 2009, 07:16
After lurking for ages, I've finally taken the plunge, and am 8 hours into my NPPL and enjoying the physical and mental challenge of it all.:ok:

As I am on a budget, and due to costs, I finally chose to do my NPPL (SLMG) on a ~ £72/hour motor glider, then I'll add probably SSEA later on. Great fun....but:

I've been wondering though - how come all of the local (South Midlands) microlight schools seem to come in at £95-£110/hour? Especially when the low running costs of a flex-wing offer many the chance to own their own aircraft - and looks quite appealing to me.

Is it because that at the total number (plus a % factor) of hours (i.e. 35hrs min vs 25hrs min) at the different rates generates the same turnover? Or is it that teaching NPPL SLMG is not financially viable?

Whopity
20th Apr 2009, 07:58
Microlight instructors make a living out of what they are doing. The BGA has always insisted that motor gliding is a sport and they only recover their costs.

S-Works
20th Apr 2009, 07:59
It's because Microlight Schools employ Instructors who are career Instructors not working for bread and water in order to get logbook hours to drive a people tube. As a result they paid as the professionals they are.

TMG is a club activity run by the BGA.

impulse9
20th Apr 2009, 08:41
Thanks for clarifying that! I can now sleep at night :)