PDA

View Full Version : New professional headset...what to buy??

Potcake
18th Apr 2009, 21:21
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum! Im looking for a new headset as the captain wants his spare back. Havent got a clue what to go for. Dont mind price...within reason, any suggestions, make model etc???
Also, are the noise reducing ones any good? I know they cost more but the boeing cockpit is pretty noisy and I'm often blasted out by ATC! Are they worth the money?
Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

kuwait340
18th Apr 2009, 23:08
i use the Telex Airman 850 single side with Active Noise Reduction (ANR).

i like it very much, i have it now for a long time, no complaints at all.

very light and i it cost approx 400$.

before the 850 i had the 750 model...which is also ok, little cheaper, but i recommend the 850 model for you.

Regards,

Rainboe
18th Apr 2009, 23:16
Well it's £370 in the UK. And it broke, easy as you could imagine. VERY weak on the headpiece swivelling joints, which are only a plasticky bakelite type material, far too weak for the job. They really are as flimsy as they look, and a headset repair place in the UK said it couldn't be repaired as they couldn't get the spare parts- Telex customer support is non existent for Europe (UK anyway). Don't go there! I'd go Sennheiser ANR- yes, ANR works.

kuwait340
19th Apr 2009, 01:29
which model of Sennheiser you are suggesting ?

I like to you use single sided only.

rubik101
19th Apr 2009, 08:20
If you type the word 'headset' into the search function you get 50 pages of responses.
To avoid the waste of bandwidth and yet more drivel about the variety and use of all the different types of headset that some will buy and others will never spend a cent on, (me) why not try that route before you post a new thread?

Rainboe
19th Apr 2009, 08:24
I'm suggesting don't touch Telex! The OP seems to have the wrong idea of ANR though. If you are 'blasted out by ATC', you have the volume too high! ANR is for reducing background noise only, you take care of radio volume yourself. It is interesting seeing how low you set the radio volume with an ANR set- usually about 40-50% as opposed to 80-90% (approximately). It does make a difference, and must be good for long term hearing protection.

Capt Claret
19th Apr 2009, 08:29
I use a Plantronics MS250 Monoaural (single earpiece) in a B717. No noise attenuation but I didn't want it in this aircraft.

It's exceptionally light, the Tx & Rx quality is excellent, and it leaves the company supplied Telex head sets for dead. AUD$360 about 2 years ago.

vino
19th Apr 2009, 09:56
simple-
Buy my Sennheiser Noise Cancelling headset.
I'll ship it free-it's the best in the biz
Cheers
Vino

rubik101
19th Apr 2009, 16:17
Why don't you simply cut and paste your replies from the 50 pages of posts on this subject instead of repeating the dross you have all posted before, oh so many times?
38 years and all I used was the company supplied headset, without any apparent detriment to my hearing, as has been posted several times before in several threads on the subject.
Save your money, you might need it for something really important in these hard times.
Why give these companies your hard earned cash when it serves no purpose?
Bonkers!

Potcake
19th Apr 2009, 17:06
Thanks for the help that gives me a good idea. Rubik101 I did type headset into the search before & yes you get 50 odd posts but with no relation to headsets in the title. The word headset has probably been mentioned once somewhere in the thousands of replys to each post, which is why they come up. I dont have to time to seach through all these posts of which most are probably related to PPL headsets anyway. 24hrs later after posting this I have what I wanted so thanks! :ok:

Crossunder
19th Apr 2009, 18:03
There is only one choice: Bose Aviation X. Period.

Rainboe
19th Apr 2009, 18:42
You for real? I have never seen anyone wear such a headset in a jet! Apart from looking totally daft, how will you discuss your catering with the cabin crew? Go back to your prop job!

Denti
19th Apr 2009, 21:24
We have company provided Sennheiser HME 45 headsets and they break very easily. I used up around 1-2 per year. especially the microphone boom is very prone to either break off or completely disintegrate, but also the electrical connections to the earphones, the battery box for the ANR was a real problem as well.

Bought myself the Telex 850ANR and although it looks very delicate i hadn't any problem with it. When not in use i allways carry it in its (slim) case so i use the swivel mechanism on the earcups quite a bit.

All in all i prefer the telex quite a bit over the sennheiser, much more lightweight and comfortable to wear and the ANR without any batteries works like a charm in the 737.

In good pilot shops you might be able to try out a headset for a bit before you decide on which to buy. Best way to go about it in my opinion.

His dudeness
19th Apr 2009, 21:51
I´ve been using Sennheisers since 19 years and I never had a broken one.
Currently I do use a HMEC - 25. We had the 45 for many years. No probs with them either...

HercDriver
19th Apr 2009, 22:13
What a childish response....

Crossunder
20th Apr 2009, 12:39
I have never seen anyone wear such a headset in a jet

Sooo...YOU haven't seen anyone. So what? :hmm: Plenty of people in my company wear them, and I know SAS were supposed to install them in all their 737s (voted best headset after a trial period). Dunno if the economic downturn cancelled those plans? It is THE best headset. By far. Hence the most expensive one, sadly. If you're gonna buy an on-ear headset - then what would be the difference between that one and the ****ty ones delivered by Boeing?
Around-ear headsets are much better at reducing noise than are on-ear headsets. This means better communication pilot-pilot and pilot-ATC because you can actualy hear what is being said without having to turn the volume up to Spinal Tap-strength (11). You don't have to shout at each other. Daft? Nope - smart... :D
You can always buy the FO-version (cheaper ;) ): Bose QuietComfort2 with UFlyMike adaptor.
Your genes (or alleles) will decide how much noise you can take before a hearing loss, and possibly tinnitus sets in. Just as you will not necessarily die from smoking - plenty of people have smoked and lived past 80-90 years. Still, that is not a good argument for you not to give up smoking...
Protect your hearing, wear around-ear quality ANR headsets!

weasel16
20th Apr 2009, 12:55
Clarity Aloft.....ordered it from Marv Golden pilot supplies website. Very nice and light.

Looker
20th Apr 2009, 14:09
I'd recommend a noise cancelling headset - once you have hearing loss you have it for life. What price will you put on keeping your hearing? What you save now you'll probably end up spending on hearing aids later.

I personally use the Sennheiser HMEC 25 KA - its not perfect but it does the job. I find the pressure around the ears can be mildly annoying after 2 to 3 hours but perhaps my headset / sunglasses are not that compatible.

The biggest differences I found were:
1. Clarity is much improved
2. The overall volume can be reduced significantly - I usually turn down receiver volume settings left by the previous pilot by approx 25%
3. The reduction in background noise is extremely good.

gordon field
20th Apr 2009, 19:03
Been flying for 50+ years, started with Gosport Tube and now deaf as a post. Go get a Bose X it will save you loss of hearing in later life.

mblackey
20th Apr 2009, 23:54
Survey results from 1500 professional pilots taken in 2008. Bose Aviation X, DC X11, Plantronics "earspike," Sennheiser 45 & 46, Telex 850.

Protect your hearing (both ears) with something! Don't believe flying 40+ years won't effect hearing. Flew 7 years in helos, 18 in fighters, 11 airlines (Boeings). Worst hearing loss was using Plantronics at airlines. Used earplugs + helmet before that and still had hearing loss but not like airlines.

Problem with Plantronics is the db volume of the earpiece is often set to damaging levels. It's not the cockpit noise that causes the most damage but the volume of the earpiece to overcome the cockpit noise, e.g., Boeing cockpits typically run 82-84 db in cruise. Even at the gate, gaspers/cooling fans will generate 80+ db. Extended exposure to 85 db causes hearing damage. Plantronics may be at 90+ db.

P.S. If you wear the Plantronics, wear an earplug in the other ear! It will save your hearing in BOTH ears.

http://www.uflymike.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/audioclarity.jpg

http://www.uflymike.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/micclarity.jpg

http://www.uflymike.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/hearprotect.jpg

http://www.uflymike.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/qualconstruct.jpg

http://www.uflymike.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/reliability.jpg

Retire2015
21st Apr 2009, 15:09
Thanks for the survey results. Can you post the source?

I just finished a 10 year run using the Sennheiser HMCAS 45. My headset appears to be failing electronically because I am getting noise fatigue issues (ringing ears, missed radio calls) and the normally marked change when ANR is switched on/off, is reduced.

Below is the response of Dan at Marv Golden in San Diego when asked what works best historically for AB 320 pilots.

<< In the Airbus, we sell mostly Telex 850's and Sennheiser HMEC 46 or 25. The Bose and Lightspeed are a little bulky for airline use. However, The Bose and Zulu will work. The Zulu is not TSO'd for commercial flight, the Bose is certified. The Telex 850 is very popular and the HMEC 46 BVK is also very popular. If you want the lightest headset with the most hearing protection, than the Sennheiser HMEC-25KA is a good bet. If you are looking for supreme hearing protection, the Bose will be the best option, however, it is heavier and may cause a little discomfort if you are flying really long legs. We have all types in our shop in San Diego to try them on.>>

I am also in correspondence with an individual that takes DC headset components and puts audiophile quality speakers in them. This is over-kill for airline cockpits and comfort would suffer, IMHO. He says:

<<My customers usually fly noisy aircraft and don't want to spend the money on an ANR headset and are looking for something to compliment their stereo intercom system.>>

PM me if you want his contact info.

With this contribution to the original poster (OP), these candidate headsets will may help point you in the right direction.

Personally, I am going to try Sennheiser HM-46, Telex 850, Lightspeed Zulu and Bose X. I tried on a Bose X and was not too favorably impressed. Simply going to layover in San Diego, go out to Marv Golden's shop, try them all on, buy one or two or three. Test fly them, then return the ones not chosen.

As noted, genetic predisposition to hearing loss is an important consideration. What was your Dad's hearing like in later years?

In contrast to Rubick's strongly held view, this is one issue where Pilots have to make their own personal selection - and live with!

R

mblackey
21st Apr 2009, 15:52
Retire 2015,

The survey results are a compilation of three surveys run at an online survey site, Insightful Surveys.

Amen to the post about personal preference being the determining factor on choosing a headset. It's also about compromise. There is no perfect headset.

Mike

Potcake
21st Apr 2009, 21:45
Since posting ive gone with the Telex 850 airman. Thought the fact that its battery free would be a bonus. I purchased it from the States $414 so even with the stronger $ it still saves me about £80. Luckily I got a mate living there & returning to the UK in 2 weeks, so he can bring it back!
Thanks for all the useful suggestions though :ok:, looking forward to a quieter B737 flight deck!!

rubik101
22nd Apr 2009, 08:11
OK, typing in 'headset' was probably a poor choice. Try 'sennheiser' and you will get a far more detailed list of all the threads on headsets, not just sennheiser I hasten to add, only 5 pages and nearly all relevant.

I accept that the choice of headset is a personal preference.

All I am pointing out is the fact that my hearing is still tested every two years and passes with flying colours, so to speak, and all I ever used in 38 years was the headset provided by the company.

If both pilots use the Airbus or Boeing supplied headsets the performance and background noise are perfectly acceptable.

rubik101
22nd Apr 2009, 15:02
mach 79, I'm sorry to hear you suffer from tinnitus. If so it might well be twaddle to you. However, if, after 38 years of flying Boeing 737s of every type from -200 to -800, both bus stopping four to six sectors, and Canaries from Berlin (5 hours plus each way) for 38 years, all I am saying is that if you take reasonable precautions, cockpit noise will not be a factor in your ability to hear you favourite symphony, pop tune or conversation in the pub when you retire.

I might add that I was very remiss in wearing ear defenders during pre-flights and turn-rounds but did stick my fingers in my ears in the wheel well and passing the APU inlet/exhaust.

Expensive headsets are just that, expensive. I would ask why Boeing and Airbus provide what they consider to be perfectly adequate headsets if they thought that all pilots would discard them in favour of some supposedly superior brand?

Do you seriously think that they are any less quality concious in their choice of headsets than they are in their choice of hydraulic pumps, toilet motors or engine starter systems?

The reality is that bespoke headsets are much like bespoke suits or flashy cars; they look good.

Now, if I flew a chopper it might be different.

mblackey
22nd Apr 2009, 15:46
Rubik,

Me thinks your 38 years of using your fingers in your ears not only damaged your hearing but your cranium contents as well... maybe it was the overpressure from sticking them in at the same time... I'd trying the "staggered insertion" method, although it may be too late.

Aircraft manufacturers deny there is an cockpit noise hazard because of the liability. Most aircraft manufacturers' and air carriers skimp severely if they "provide" headsets for the pilots. Telex is the cheapest headset on the market... guess, what most aircraft come equipped with.

:>)

rubik101
23rd Apr 2009, 01:56
So by your reasoning mblackey, if I built a twin aisle 150 seater aircraft which incorporated a totally silent cockpit and cabin, fur lined head rests, fully reclining leather seats, individual air-conditioning controls, IFE in every seat back, shag pile carpets and other such luxuries, the airlines would beat a path to my order book?

Maybe if they were very stupid, they would.

They go for the cheapest aircraft that fits their needs, not the most decked out, bells and whistles bit of slick that will admittedly get the job done but at what cost?.

Your logic is about as hair brained as most other people's who waste their money on expensive and unnecessary fripperies.

Buying an expensive headset makes a statement; I'm a professional pilot so I need a professional headset, nothing more.

mblackey
23rd Apr 2009, 03:09
Rubik,

Think you misread my post. Aircraft manufacturers and air carriers go the cheapest (most cost effective) way possible when equipping aircraft. Believe that's what I said.

I've yet to run into a professional pilot that wore a headset to boost their image. Now a leather helmet, goggles and a scarf... that's different. I try to take them off before I get to the jetway, though.