PDA

View Full Version : Tea ,coffee or spanners?

tubby linton
18th Apr 2009, 19:20
Rumour has it that a certain well established UK airline has offered its maintenance personnel the opportunity to be cabin crew during the peak summer season:eek::eek::eek:
.Would this mean that aircraft return from flights with less B defects than when they left and that AOG is now a defunct concept?

smudgethecat
18th Apr 2009, 19:58
Engineers as cabin crew? some gobby pax,s will be in for a shock .:eek:

Rigga
18th Apr 2009, 20:30
Would that be a good/better way of restricting engineers working hours?

Or would the poor engineers be expected to work during the flight (instead of some cabin crew?) and then between flights, and then work during the next flight - and so on, for the whole day/night/day shift?

And taking the previous Point - would they be allowed to do the Pre-flight Passenger Briefing "Dance"? Or even better - to do the PA speech from an LAE's point of view?

STANCARRIER
18th Apr 2009, 23:48
Not sure I ve got the legs for hold ups !!!!!!!!!!!!

h3dxb
19th Apr 2009, 05:12
I heard also they get an ATPL.
With the technical background , it takes only 5 days (less than A&P) , according to the rule: When flying would be difficult, engineers would do that.......
So after TO, AP on and than the service, Landing manual, after that the service check, and offcourse U safe money for they company, all that for 30% less salary ...............

C'mon buddy, who wants to have a greasy engineer serving drinks ? He knows the difference between oils, but Chablis or Chardoney ............

BTW, do they get also such a fancy hat ?

Good luck , I've an medical attest , due to unbalance in my feets, I can't go with drinks in my hand, everytime spilling ..............

WOTME?
19th Apr 2009, 10:17
I don't know about spilling the drinks...maybe drinking the drinks...:ok:

Ten West
19th Apr 2009, 10:22
C'mon buddy, who wants to have a greasy engineer serving drinks ? He knows the difference between oils, but Chablis or Chardoney ............I would! I prefer the company of engineers to that of wine bores any day of the week. :ok:

A good old cup of "NATO Standard" and a chat about matters technical would be a far better way to spend a flight than looking at the tat in the duty-free catalogue.

simonchowder
19th Apr 2009, 10:47
It would certainly be entertaining to see a few bolsy engineers "interfacing" with the great british public, bring it on i say :ok:

ps which airline has come up with this great idea?

h3dxb
19th Apr 2009, 11:13
I would! I prefer the company of engineers to that of wine bores any day of the week

BUT french carriers do not offer, to work as a flight attendant :8

leewan
19th Apr 2009, 15:25
I would probably down a few drinks myself and paste a U/S tag on myself and sleep the entire journey.:E

Genghis the Engineer
19th Apr 2009, 15:34
I'm wondering if for the first time ever, I might get a decent cup of tea on certain airlines.

G

Tempsford
19th Apr 2009, 15:58
Not a new idea. The world's favourite have been doing it for years. Know of a an ex BA Handler who is now BA Cabin Crew at LGW, and loving it. I Flew on BA to CDG a few years ago and the Cabin Crew in the jump seat opposite me was as a Flight Engineer.

h3dxb
19th Apr 2009, 16:05
I'm wondering if for the first time ever, I might get a decent cup of tea on certain airlines

You british guys are so silly, we speak about important things like, going straight in a cabin with drinks, or do we drink the drinks or not.....

and he wants TEA ???? :D

simonchowder
19th Apr 2009, 16:11
Nothing wrong with tea sir, we "British guys" built a empire on it and civilised a few of you lot along the way:ok:

woptb
20th Apr 2009, 09:46
When I was at BA in the early 90's quite a few refurbs (Lord Kings carpet fitters) who were fairly 'H@iry @rsed' went cabin crew & had a ball!

born1987
20th Apr 2009, 11:57
what a joke man .engineer as cabin crew and when company want to save more money then they will made them baggage handler and even worst case they may have to work as cleaner.and do every engineer so smart handsome playboy that company will place them as cabin crew and if passangers say some really bully thing can we all hear that just like this ?

MD11Engineer
20th Apr 2009, 17:15
It used to be like this in South West Airlines, everybody was expected to lend a hand if he had nothing more important to do, so if an engineer or pilot had nothing to do in his own job, he would toss luggage, if a hostie had a few idle hours on the ground, she would help out with the check-in crew.
But they all saw the result on their bank account at the end of the year, since the company would pay a percentage of their profits to the staff as a bonus.
Don't know though if it still works like this.

Ten West
20th Apr 2009, 18:18
... and if passangers say some really bully thing can we all hear that just like this?

Mate, I would pay good money to watch a stroppy pax have a go at a hairy-assed line engineer when he was expecting to browbeat a Trolley Dolly! We could take bets as to which window he leaves out of! :ok:

born1987:

Some of our Cabin Crews already clean their own aircraft! We also operate flights that go out of the country for weeks on end, and all the crew muck in together to get whatever jobs are necessary out of the way so that the aircraft can depart on the next leg on time. It's called "Teamwork". :)

Rigga
20th Apr 2009, 21:36
Tell Michael I've found the answer to his Credit Crunch - give Trolley Dollies the spanners - they would be so much cheaper!

Evanelpus
21st Apr 2009, 08:53
Tell Michael I've found the answer to his Credit Crunch - give Trolley Dollies the spanners - they would be so much cheaper!

Nah, too many broken nails, imagine them doing a brake change!

jmig29
21st Apr 2009, 23:03
Eermm... If I may...

Having a LAME performing flight duties (at least some) would improve money saving on the company side. Why? He would deal with the equipments onboard knowing what could go wrong with the systems, components... And all of that would last longer, for sure.

As to being a greasy engineer, to be able to replace the brakes, he would have had training both teorhetical and practical, along with more than 2 years training just for basics, not counting Type rating.

In fact, it is very difficult to find a professional who's training is to be so long and intensive, apart maybe for pilots, and I really doubt cabin training to be as extensive. Therefore, you need to study so much more than if you were to be cabin crew, but that doesn't necessarily makes one better than the other. Forgive me for being so upfront.

Bus429
22nd Apr 2009, 06:10
C'mon buddy, who wants to have a greasy engineer serving drinks ? He knows the difference between oils, but Chablis or Chardoney ............

I know the difference (but then I'm a B2).:E

aveng
23rd Apr 2009, 01:55
Cone heads could fix the aircraft, raid the galley and pick a nice bottle of bubbles! Now thats talent.:ok:

h3dxb
23rd Apr 2009, 07:41
I know the difference (but then I'm a B2

french B2's don't count , every one knows , it's clearly described in the hiring manual, that they have to know :ok:

Short_Circuit
24th Apr 2009, 03:50

As an engineer at QF it is no a problems, as Chablis is not on the wine list... That being the case, I would suggest a Chardonnay from the cooler wine regions of Aus with less fruity flavors a light touch of acidity and of cause, light on oak.

But what would I know :rolleyes:

Bolty McBolt
24th Apr 2009, 04:24
Noice one SC

For mine it would be a Shiraz from the west, they are rich and opulent with intense and fleshy sweet fruits along with licorice and notes of spice or pepper that persist on the palate to give the signature character of a fine Aust wine.

And yes it will be beef with that.... :ok:

Spanner Turner
25th Apr 2009, 09:00
C'mon buddy, who wants to have a greasy engineer serving drinks ? He knows the difference between oils, but Chablis or Chardoney

Might I suggest to Sir, our latest wine. The bouquet has a cheeky ester base with a hint of Skydrol. It has a golden MJII colour with warm Shell 22 inflections due to being aged in our unique barrells(44 gallon). It grips the pallet with a Loctite infusion and leaves a delicate aftertaste of Avtur..

mmmmm........Avtur.

:ok:

shedhead
25th Apr 2009, 09:33
"No we aint got any wine, 'ere 'ave some m.e.k. its what I drink!"

born1987
25th Apr 2009, 11:24
"methyl ethyle ketone"......wow what a digestive system.must be doing yoga daily ?

North Stand Tier3
27th Apr 2009, 16:10
Take it the job offer is only available to B2s. They're the only ones with spotlessly clean uniforms and besides, they get much more practice at making tea

Right, I'll get me coat..........

Biggles225
30th Apr 2009, 11:40
MEK tastes better than hydraulic oil or deicing fluid! :uhoh:

Velcroworm
6th May 2009, 10:25
There is a sort of upside to this. When I was on the line at BA back in the early 80s (Tech 1, LHR. Happy days) our apprentices were told there wouldn't be any jobs for them when they finished their time, and were offered positions in various departments, including cabin crew.

Those lads who took that option had a whale of a time. Suddenly the trolley dollies discovered a ready supply of non-gay stewards on board, and the boys spent most of their time (When not handing out coffees) shagging their brains out. When finally offered a return to positions in engineering, not all of them took that opportunity as they were making a fortune on expenses and enjoying regular filth with hosties.

h3dxb
6th May 2009, 12:13
OK :D Where do I have to sign..........................:\