PDA

View Full Version : Sticking vinyls on canvas wing- help please!

dragqueen120
18th Apr 2009, 17:36
:ugh:Does any one know if there is a certain type of sticker/glue I need to use to stick my new reg on to the wing of my C120. the exsisting I removed today were stuck on not painted but cant seem to find any one that knows owt.
Thanks in advance:ok:

Pilot DAR
18th Apr 2009, 17:44
If it were my fabric wing, I'd be painting on the registration letters with the same type of paint or dope used to finish the wing. Though I can't show hard evidence, I have certainly seen stickers on fabric, where time and exposure has caused the sticker to shrink and crack the underlying paint around the edges.

If you must use a sticker, I'd be contacting the manufacturer of the paint or dope, and get their recommendations...

Pilot DAR

Sir George Cayley
18th Apr 2009, 17:45
There are companys that do sticky back plastic vinyl registration letters.

All you have to do is give them the colour, size and of course the reg.

Putting them on is counter intuitive as you will need to wet the surface with water in which is just enough washing up liquid to see a few bubbles.

Pre mark a line with spacing points and then float the letters into place. Did I mention you'll need a squeegee and a sponge?

Leave to dry and Robert is ones fathers brother:ok:

If you need any help and are in the home counties I 'll lend a hand.

Sir George Cayley

gaxan
19th Apr 2009, 06:44
There are two types of vinyl which are used by the graphics industry. The first is a callendered vinyl and the other is a cast vinyl. Callendered vinyl is cheap but will shrink over time leaving a nasty black residue of glue behind. Most cast vinyls are guaraneeted for colour and shrinkage for 5 years and this is the type to get. The best way to apply them is:
1) Position the letters using masking tape
2) Peel back the release paper and spray the adhesive side
of the letters with soapy water.
3) Spray the wing and then flip the vinyl into position.
4) Gently squeegee out the surplus water and make sure there are no bubbles left under the letters.
5) LEAVE IT TO DRY !!!
Using this method should give you a perfect bubble free finish.

Runaway Gun
19th Apr 2009, 07:02
As Sir GC offered, I'd be taking him up on that. It's one of those jobs where you can never have enough hands, nor enough brain capacity to coordinate those flailing limbs.

It might even be worthwhile getting a duplicate set of the letters made, ready to fix any unfortunate mistakes that may occur. Although more expensive, it'll mean less time in the shop if the unfortunate happens.

Lastly, plan for the time you think you'll need to complete this job, and triple it - and add an extra hour. It's not for the impatient :)

dragqueen120
20th Apr 2009, 16:33
cheers chaps!
ill follow the guidance. have lots of spare sets so will experiment. thanks for the offer of 'elp. ill see how i get on:ok: