PDA

View Full Version : Northern lights!

NewVSO
1st Apr 2001, 20:52
Fantastic display of Aurora Borealis on night of 30/31st. We saw it clearly from as far south as 35N en-route Guadaloupe-Milan. Must have been a marvelous display for those on the northern tracks.

BOEINGBOY1
1st Apr 2001, 21:00
they are truly a wonderful sight arn't they ?
what's weird is that when i have been up at +70N, the northern lights have been to the south of us.

CrashDive
1st Apr 2001, 21:21
I also saw it during the return from Alicante last night - we were just slightly north of CGC - and a really lovely sight it was too, indeed so good that we told the cabin crew to come up and look as well !

Nb. Apparently it's all due to a major sunspot flare-up (see: Solar storms spark light show (http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1254000/1254851.stm) for more info)

------------------
CrashDive

Administrator to The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

May you live in interesting times !

Floppy Link
1st Apr 2001, 22:20
So is it time to dust off the lead underpants?

CrashDive
1st Apr 2001, 22:24
I dunno about that, but I do seem now to glow in the dark - the wife thinks it's kinky, but I'm not so sure ?!

Busta Level
1st Apr 2001, 23:09
Saw them on the way back from Palma last night. Really a fantastic sight. Cabin crew enjoyed it as well - in the cockpit for an hour oooohhhingg and ahhhhing (not as crude as it sounds!!!).

Cheers!

Busta

SkyClear
2nd Apr 2001, 03:43
Saw the display overhead NTS (VOR) last night.

That's the most Southerly I've seen it. Any more takers?

Squawk 8888
2nd Apr 2001, 03:54
Working on my night endorsement, wouldn't you know it- overcast at YYZ the whole time http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

One question though- has the solar activity affected HF comms over NAT? And would it affect the ADF on an aircraft?

------------------
Nuke the rainforest- it's more efficient than logging.

BuzzLightyear
2nd Apr 2001, 04:50
Saw them from the comfort of an armchair 30 miles north of Aberdeen last night. Best display I've seen for ages. Amazing!!

------------------
To infinity and beyond

MAXIMOL
2nd Apr 2001, 16:04
First time I have ever seen tinges of red and orange. NY to Gander stretch home.

Brilliant! People would pay money!

jumbojohn
4th Apr 2001, 19:43
Just got into Sydney and on the way down from Bankok went arount some isolated cbs that caused so much static on both VHF radios that they were unusable for up to 20 mins at a time. Havn't seen this so bad in 13 years of professional flying. Anyone else had this recently, could this be due to recent sunspot activity?