PDA

View Full Version : Light aircraft crashes into house in Florida.

GroundedSLF
17th Apr 2009, 15:55
Just reported on Sky News

A small plane has crashed into a house in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

No further details as yet...

spacecowbhoy
17th Apr 2009, 16:05
Plane Crashes Into Oakland Park Home - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami (http://www.justnews.com/news/19208050/detail.html)

GroundedSLF
17th Apr 2009, 16:13
Further info..(although not much!)

TV images showed the house with a gaping hole in it and smoke could be seen rising from the site.
The aircraft is believed to be a twin-engined Cessna 421.
Firefighters have been working to put out the blaze.
The property is near Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport.
Broward County sheriff's spokeswoman Dani Moschella said a passer-by saw the plane go down and alerted authorities.
There was no word on casualties.
It was not clear if anyone was inside the home, or how many people were aboard the aircraft.

mcgoo
17th Apr 2009, 17:16
Already running:

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/370387-aircraft-crashes-into-house-florida.html

flyingman-of-kent
17th Apr 2009, 19:28
There is no point clicking on the link above from mcgoo as it links to this page!!!

fernytickles
18th Apr 2009, 01:19
I've only been flying the C421 since last August, but am becoming more & more wary of line crew assuming it is a Conquest, therefore a consumer of Jet A1, not 100LL, which is its preferred poision. I have read of other C421 accidents, double engine failures, caused by this error, and have twice had line crew question the fuel type. I hope I always catch them before the mistake is made.

bubbers44
18th Apr 2009, 02:12
The Cessna 421 flies just fine on one engine. MIA news says the right engine was on fire in the air. They show a right turn to return to the airport so wonder if the plane got below VMC and with climb power on the left engine it rolled inverted. The pilot was 80 years old and had a lot of experience but I wonder what his recent training was with single engine procedures. I know he was qualified but how current was he on single engine procedures?

Lightning6
18th Apr 2009, 02:42
The Cessna 421 flies just fine on one engine. MIA news says the right engine was on fire in the air. They show a right turn to return to the airport so wonder if the plane got below VMC and with climb power on the left engine it rolled inverted. The pilot was 80 years old and had a lot of experience but I wonder what his recent training was with single engine procedures. I know he was qualified but how current was he on single engine procedures?

More speculation :rolleyes: , What has the pilots age got to do with it? "I wonder what his recent training was with single engine procedures. I know he was qualified but how current was he on single engine procedures?"

For goodness sake, wait for the NTSB investigation.

bubbers44
18th Apr 2009, 13:26
The NTSB has one smoking hole in a house, no CVR and no DFR. No reliable eye witnesses either so they will know no more after the investigation than right now except what caused the right engine to be on fire.

Runaway Gun
18th Apr 2009, 23:32
Actually, after the investigation is complete, they will know a shed-load more than you do now. They won't wonder anything - they will investigate it, and then inform us all about the relevant facts. :*