PDA

View Full Version : New "Leisure" Pilots Licence

Pudnucker
16th Apr 2009, 12:37
Team,

Any news on whats happening with the new LPL, Leisure Pilots Licence? Seems that it will be on us imminently but very little info on the AOPA site and others?

P

Whopity
16th Apr 2009, 15:12
Until EASA revise their proposals based upon comment made regarding the recent NPA then nobody will know. If it is introduced, the UK will not be required to comply before March 2012

Mike Cross
16th Apr 2009, 19:11
Indications are that there is massive opposition to the name "Leisure Pilots License" so hopefully we'll see something more sensible.

AOPA UK, in the person of Pamela Campbell are represented in the working groups and she was recently in Cologne attending meetings.

I don't have my notes to hand but the number of responses to the consultation was in the thousands.

As Whopity says, there won't be anything to report until the working groups have completed their deliberations.

Pudnucker
16th Apr 2009, 19:13
I have a PPL at the moment but am likely to have to go to an NPPL for med reasons (hopefully short-term), are there likely to be any issues (wll NPPL (unrestricted) holders) be able to fly under the new licence with the same previliges (eg grand father rights)?

Nick

Mike Cross
16th Apr 2009, 22:26
Nick

In the immortal words of Rene Artois 'ow the 'ell would I know?

You could try looking into one of these but I can't vouch for its reliability.
http://gabesguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/crystal_ball2_bmwpreview.jpg

However if you take advantage of General Exemption No 711 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ors4_711.pdf) you don't currently need to get a NPPL. You can exercise NPPL privileges with a PPL and a Medical Declaration. Be aware though that you can only fly SSEA, SLMG or Microlights, it doesn't give you the same privileges as a SEP Rating.

Mike

Lister Noble
17th Apr 2009, 08:22
Mike,thanks for that link,I have so much stuff saved now I could write a book!

Nick,I am in the same spot as you,have very recently had my JAR PPL suspended for three months due to a pacemaker istallation, but I have spoken to the CAA and NPPL medical staff and intend to go along the NPPL route in a few weeks time.
I could resume my JAR PPL but it will involve costly medical examinations on a regular basis.
I could go for the lower car driver limited NPPL now which allows me as single pilot or with another pilot,but want to wait for the HGV certified one, where I can fly with up to three passengers.
I have a full hospital check up in two weeks and all being well my GP ,whom I have already talked to,should sign my declaration after that,ie six weeks after the operation.

If you are at all confused talk to the NPPL staff,they were very helpful.
Good luck
Lister

Maoraigh1
17th Apr 2009, 20:34
I failed my medical in November. I got the full PPL back in early March. My GP didn't charge for signing the CAA "drive a car" medical form, which allowed me to keep current. If you're not forbidden to drive, he could sign and stamp it.