PDA

View Full Version : PPL In Durban South Africa

mdesouza
14th Apr 2009, 11:31
previously posted in a wrong forum!

Hi all

I am currently doing my PPL in england , but thinking out going to durban south africa for 2 weeks to practice some circuits mainly because of the weather and the costs

has anyone had any experience flying in durban and can recomend some flying schools?

Was also thinking about florida but the cost of the dollar make its only slightly cheaper

Thanks
Mike

AfricanEagle
14th Apr 2009, 12:52
Virginia Flying School at Virginia Airfield, Durban North.

Enjoyed validating my licence there and renting their aeroplanes.

mdesouza
14th Apr 2009, 14:45
Thanks much appreciated

Mike

jxc
14th Apr 2009, 16:15
Are you expecting your hours of circuits over there to count towards your UK ppl as I don't think they will

VFR Transit
14th Apr 2009, 16:25
I would not see the point in doing this anywhere, other than the place in the UK where you are doing your training.

Lets say you have done 20 hours so far in the UK, you then decide to do some circuits in florida, you will need to remember the following things.

1. Return flights
2. Accomodation
3. Visa
4. Spending money
5. Car hire
6. Travel Insurance (not all bog standard travel insurance will cover you for flight training)

You will then on your return back to any UK flight school, will need to fly some more hours to refresh on your circuits to account for the airfield being used along with radio calls etc etc, so for your hours to count you would also need to use a JAA approved school.

If you have not started your training yet, it may well be an idea to go to florida and do the whole course in the USA, however like you say with regards to the exchange rates, it may well be cheaper to stay in teh UK.

Good luck in what you choose to do.

VFR

mdesouza
15th Apr 2009, 08:00
Thanks for reply guys.
to be honest I just need to practice my take offs and landings as due to weather conditions in the Uk and doing it part time, its could be a months before I get any lessons in.

I dont wish this to count towards my hours, but just to have a week of flying to get some practice in.

I am going to go to SA , as its cheaper than the US although the planes in the US are newer with glass cockpits

Thanks
Mike