PDA

View Full Version : Weather balloons and airspace

oversteer
14th Apr 2009, 11:16
As a little project I am tempted to strap a camera to a weather balloon and send it up to about 120,000ft. Some students in Spain recently got some press for similar and there are other projects on the web.

Hardware is one tricky aspect but doing such a launch legally and safety is important. I'd obviously take into account winds and airspace etc but above a point you can't avoid airspace. The ANO says: "An uncontrollable balloon in captive or released flight shall not be flown in airspace notified for the purposes of this paragraph without the permission of the CAA"

Am I right in interpreting this as: you can't launch without contravening class C airspace (FL195-FL660) unless your balloon is in one of the areas used by the met office (eg. Hertsmonceaux) which you need the CAA's permission to use...

Are they likely to give permission to such a heath robinson project or am I wasting my time?

Henry Hallam
15th Apr 2009, 14:54
Depends where you are in the country. You can use one of the existing registered amateur balloon launch sites (there are two in the Cambridge area and others elsewhere), or ask the CAA for permission to use your own, which may or may not be granted depending on airspace. Ask in this chatroom for more information: Mibbit.com - Easy and fast Webchat (http://www.mibbit.com/?server=irc.freenode.net&channel=%23highaltitude)