PDA

View Full Version : Downturn hits "Regional Airports"

Pudnucker
13th Apr 2009, 22:25
Maybe GA will be made to feel more welcome for once.... :}

BBC NEWS | UK | Downturn 'hits regional airports' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7994464.stm)

Duchess_Driver
13th Apr 2009, 23:04
You're always welcome Pud - provided you're willing to pay the extortionate prices for landing and handling! :eek:

Phil Space
15th Apr 2009, 06:53
Blackpool introduced a £10 airport development fee and has seen a drop of 70% in traffic since Ryanair pulled out in protest. Norwich did the same but with a £5.00 airport development fee and has also seen a drop in traffic. Flybe have closed their base there.I used Norwich on a regular basis but since they introduced the charge have moved my custom to Stansted.Last month it emerged that passenger numbers at Norwich's airport had fallen to 580,000 this year from 670,000 last year.

As for GA friendly...Norwich is way down near the bottom.

They are now trying to close the door after the horse has gone:ok:

From the Eastern Daily Press

Holidaymakers and business people in Norfolk are being asked which new destinations they would like to be able to fly to from Norwich Airport.

The airport hopes to use the results to convince airlines and tour operators to use Norwich and to expand the range of destinations. The direct flights currently available this summer include Corfu, Crete, Cyprus, Ibiza, Malta, Majorca, Menorca and Turkey.

An airport spokesman said: “The purpose of the survey is two-fold. Firstly, it is about getting local community input into the development of the airport, so we can build a portfolio of new destinations to support local business needs and provide the holidays that people want. Secondly, this survey will help us understand where local people would like to fly and will help us put together competitive cases to airlines and tour operators for using Norwich International Airport.”

englishal
15th Apr 2009, 12:30
They should try and encourage more scheduled medium / long haul into regional airports. For example you can fly Bristol to Newark daily with Continental, for no more than flying from say LHR which is the big thing. With good connections to the rest of the USA you can go BRS - LAX for same price as LHR to LAX and with a stop half way to stretch the legs. My Mrs did BRS - Detroit last month for £239 return! Bargain.

I wish there were more flights like this, I'm sure it is preferable for the airline as I imagine regionals charge less, and it is better for us PAX as we don't have to endure LHR Terminal 3 which is a ****e hole.

You never know, there may even come the day when we can fly ourselves into some regional and park for free for 2 weeks while we jet off on our hols ;)

skydriller
15th Apr 2009, 12:57
They were talking about this on Breakfast TV the other day, and I couldnt help but have a chuckle about their predicament, now they have gotten rid of GA by pricing it out :ouch:...

pipertommy
15th Apr 2009, 13:12
Cardiff Airport does a good job of putting off GA, large prices quoted since they no longer have a flying club to take landing fees!

Times may change and GA will be an option once again for a source of income with hard times ahead.

Rod1
15th Apr 2009, 13:16
On one level it is difficult to feel too sorry for them, but if things continue some may welcome us back / go bust and give up all that class D etc etc.

When is the Doncaster airspace being reviewed?:E

Rod1

Sir George Cayley
16th Apr 2009, 13:44
Beware the Law of Diminishing Return :eek::eek:

I'm no enoccommunist, but if any provider puts up their prices to cover increased costs and this leads to a reduction in customers, then a dangerous spiral will begin.

Common sense says reduce costs to the point where demand increases. Stack 'em high / sell 'em cheap - the O'Leary Principle:E

Sorry, did I just say common sense and airport bean counters?

Yes, a few broke regionals will free up some airspace, but the loss of revenue to the industry will cause long term damage.

Sir George Cayley