PDA

View Full Version : Its been a while

Darkhorse001
11th Apr 2009, 01:25
Gday all,
What are the chances of a late 30's bloke with under 1000hrs (about 600ish) getting back into the chtr scene? This is also my 1st pprune experience so be gentle.

Cheers.

southernskies
11th Apr 2009, 01:33
The chances are good mate. Check out AFAP - there was an ad recently for Kakadu Air looking for someone with 500hrs.

The industry has certainly slowed down but if you are in the right place at the right time there are still jobs going. Just be prepared to move!

Goodluck :ok:

SS

Darkhorse001
11th Apr 2009, 01:37
Thanks SS.

Fred Gassit
11th Apr 2009, 02:09
Dont limit yourself either, in my experience many or most of my older colleagues wound up at the majors regardless of, or maybe because of their age.
good luck.

kingRB
11th Apr 2009, 03:08
got a mate who has just started up NT way and they are still looking for single & twin drivers. Min 500 hours.

T80
11th Apr 2009, 05:33
What King said there is alot of movement around Kak way at the movement both in and outs.

gutso-blundo
12th Apr 2009, 10:16
I'm in a similar boat, but finding having ~700hrs to be a double edged sword. Interviews and check rides go well, but the operators I've applied to seem to think the risk of me shooting through once over the 1000 mark is too high, and that the position would be better suited to someone with less experience. :ugh:
The flip side is, I've got too few hours for a twin gig (only got about 50hrs multi) at most places.
The best thing IMHO is to keep your chin up and keep your eyes open. The one thing you can do that will improve your chances of getting a gig more than anything else is to keep applying! Take each knockback as a learning experience, thank them for their time and move on. You'll get it eventually. :ok:
On that note, anyone out there hiring? :O

Mr. Hat
12th Apr 2009, 12:49
Darkhorse, I don't think you will have a problem as long as you can fit in and pull your weight.

No substitute for hard work and a good attitude.

Darkhorse001
13th Apr 2009, 03:39
Thanks people, Very encouraging! :ok:

Even in my late 20’s when looking for employment, I found that employers were reluctant to believe that someone would actually aspire to be “JUST A” chtr pilot. I am curious to know if others out there have found this ? Or does everyone still have to pretend that heavies are the be-all and end-all of aviation to be accepted,(admitting that I have thought about it, who hasn't) when a "home for dinner-job" doing something one enjoys is adequate for themselves and the position in life that they are in?

Mr. Hat
13th Apr 2009, 05:09
Most operators assume that because they know that by the time you've got the hours to move on you more than likely will. The wages/conditions are generally quite poor and it can be dangerous hard work at times.

People move onto "heavies" for many reasons. Conditions, pay, capital city, guaranteed performance if one goes quiet.

Flying in ga can be great fun and you see the very best of sights. Its the ultimate boys adventure but there comes a time when some of it starts to wear off.