PDA

View Full Version : Difference between an NDB and Locator

ken0311
10th Apr 2009, 12:54
Hi,

Could someone please explain what is the difference between an NDB and a Locator? I know what an NDB is and I sort of know what a Locator is. It is itself an NDB but what is it's real purpose? An example of a locator can be found on the Perth (YPPH) ILS or LOC Rwy21 charts. The locator is Caversham (CVM).

I'm training to get my CPL/IR and I came across this and I could not find a proper answer on the web. Thanks for your time. :ok:

Rainboe
10th Apr 2009, 12:58
A locator is normally a lower powered NDB, acting in just the same way. It is to specify a point on the final approach path at which altitude on the final approach can be checked, and locates that point. Just regard them as the same thing with the NDB as a positive position check on the final approach. it also acts as the primary approach aid for a non-precision approach, perhaps when the ILS is down.

ken0311
10th Apr 2009, 13:17
I see. Thanks for your reply. So really it's just to double check your altitude at that location. So apart from checking your height at the OM, one would also have to check the height above the locator. And if the ILS is unservicable, the locator can double up as a check on our approach.

Thanks again! :ok:

Rainboe
10th Apr 2009, 13:45
The locator can be your only approach aid sometimes. The locator is just another NDB.

Old Smokey
10th Apr 2009, 21:38
Another very significant function performed by the Locator is to assure you that you have captured the "True" Localiser, and not one of the false lobes.

Regards,

Old Smokey