PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 296 vs Garmin 496

StOrMsCaTcHeR
9th Apr 2009, 13:49
hi, i'm planning to buy a GPS, but just want some opinions which one is best. i cannot see any major difference between garmin 296 and 496, how come there is huge price difference? any comments? any other gps which are any better than garmin ones?

thanks.

igarratt
10th Apr 2009, 10:28
Had used many a GPS while training and after PPL, all garmin, some units like the 296 and also in built / integrated ones.
Have to say after looking at the prices I didnt really see them worth the money.
Got hold a 495 from a friend and was totally gob smacked !, I had to get one, in comparison to any other GPS I've seen bar ones running on a laptop it is in a totally league of their own.

If you have seem basic gps you will know the map and what shows is fairly limited to say the least, in comparison my 495 is not far off a moving 1:500 map, the detail and pretty much all you will every need, the likes of VRP's, town, motorways, a roads, villages, airfield runway numbers and approach displays are all there. Then add the automatic terrain warning and map, airspace, Matz, DA, RA, ctr and tma warning, there is little else they could build into it.

Only tip is shop around the prices can change drastically, get the 495 not 496 it's not a satnav ! and treat it with the same attention you would any other cockpit equipment making sure it's set right with correct route before you take off.

Ian

Utfart
10th Apr 2009, 20:09
I have a 496 and as StOrMsCaTcHeR suggests, haven't used the street guidance part of it's capability: Mainly because it's hard to use compared to other much cheaper units. However, I will likely live in North America again and so decided the XM weather capability that the 496 provides was worth the added cost to me. I have heard there is a chance XM weather will come to Europe as well, in which case I am set.

drambuster
10th Apr 2009, 22:24
Stormscatcher -

you can compare the two products on the Garmin website:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=156

I think the main advantages of the 495 (I agree, don't waste your money on a 496 in the UK - no point) over the 296 are:

1) Faster refresh rate of satellite signal in 495 (5hz - 5 times per second) as opposed to 1hz in the 296. This makes the 'panel' page much more responsive resulting in the 'turn co-ordinator' being quite usable in an emergency .

2) The 495/6 has an obstacle database which is very effective.

3) The 495/6 has VRPs in the database so, for example, if you divert into Elstree and they ask you to 'report at the golf course' you just hit the 'Nearest' button and there it is ! (i.e un-planned VRPs are easy to find)

4) The 495/6 has a filter which makes non relevant airspace info less prominent on the screen (i.e it is height sensitive to pick out what you need to see).

5) There is a bigger database in the 495/6 containing private strips and aviation sports sites. The terrain database also contains ten times more info than in the 296 (I'm not sure what advantage that has other than looking a little prettier!)

So if I were you I would definitely fork out the extra for a 495 over the 296. Worth every penny and Garmin is great kit so you won't regret it.

Drambuster

IO540
11th Apr 2009, 05:01
Also the 496 will output the voice TAWS (terrain) warnings on its audio output, so it can be wired into the aircraft intercom. I have details of how to do this; it's easy once you know how ...

So, when you fly towards a hill, you get CAUTION TERRAIN and when you get closer you get TERRAIN PULL UP etc. It's pretty effective and appears identical to the "certified" version in the GNSx30 panel mounts.

AFAIK a lot of the 496 features have migrated to the 296 in recent years, so the difference between them is less than most people think, but Garmin are trying hard to maintain the price difference. The 496 is a great cash cow for them, especially as the units sold in Europe don't contain the XM modem which the American ones have.

drambuster
11th Apr 2009, 10:57
AFAIK a lot of the 496 features have migrated to the 296 in recent years,

None of the 495 features I have listed above are available on the 296. Having had both models I am reasonably sure that the spec of the 296 has not changed since the day they introduced it ! There is a lot to differentiate the two products and I would say the 495 is well worth the extra money . . . .

drambuster

englishal
11th Apr 2009, 12:05
With the 496 you can interface the ZAON XRX traffic boxes so you get the traffic depicted on the GPS screen as well as alerts through the intercom. I've had good results with mine.....Not sure if you can with the 296.