PDA

View Full Version : Question for easyjet pilots

TheKabaka
8th Apr 2009, 17:39
Camping stoves and fuel containers that have contained a flammable liquid fuel, may be carried provided the fuel tank of the camping stove and/or fuel container has been completely drained of all liquid fuel and action has been taken to nullify the danger

The above is copied from my airlines ops manual. I am trying to find out from the big E if I can take an empty liquid fuel bottle on a flight. It is used with a camping stove and will have had petrol in it but then emptied again.

It is the exact bottle in the link below and will of course be checked in.

MSR Fuel Bottle 1ltr - Reviews and Latest UK Prices (http://www.buachaille.com/p1649-3-30/Stoves-and-Cooking/MSR-Fuel-Bottle-1ltr.html)

The easyjet web site says these are not permitted (no mention of bottles).

Flammable liquids and solids such as lighters containing unabsorbed fuel or heater fuels, paint, and matches (except one box of matches or one cigarette lighter as provided below).

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance

foresight
8th Apr 2009, 17:59
I would just clean it very thoroughly so there is no trace/smell of fuel at all. I then see no necessity to notify them as it would be completely 'inert'. I appreciate your sense of responsibility but I really think if it was cleaned as above it would be just an empty container.

I speak as a (very) ex EZY pilot

TheKabaka
14th Apr 2009, 18:49
Thanks, that's what ill do. Not so much a sense of responsibilty just don't want some security jobsworth to stop my bag getting on!

EGPFlyer
15th Apr 2009, 07:59
It can be carried but you need permission from the company, must check it in and follow the following procedure.

From the easyJet Manual

"Camping stoves and containers that have contained flammable liquid fuel.
To nullify the danger, the empty fuel tank and or container must be allowed
to drain for at least 1 hour, the fuel tank or container must then be left
uncapped for a minimum of 6 hours to allow any residual fuel to evaporate.
Alternative methods such as adding cooking oil to the fuel tank and or
container to elevate the flash point of any residual liquid above the flash point
of flammable liquid and then emptying the fuel tank and or container are
equally acceptable. The fuel tank or container must then have the cap securely fastened and be wrapped in absorbent material such as paper towels and placed in a polyethylene or equivalent bag. The top of the bag must then be sealed or gathered and closed with an elastic band or string.
Provided the above cleaning method is followed in accordance with these
requirements, then the fuel stove or container can be classified as non
hazardous.

zaithyn
17th Apr 2009, 09:15
There should be no difference between Easyjet and BA pilots apart from, as someone has said. To become a pilot they all have to undergo the same training. Please have no concerns about flying with Easyjet. I do on a fairly regular basis & find them great, and their pilots, very often, are friendly & informative. If it helps at all, Easyjet have one of the youngest fleet of aircraft, with an average age of 3.5 years. In comparison BA's fleet average 11.4 years.