PDA

View Full Version : PPL Skills test

Tom Power
8th Apr 2009, 14:12
If iv done and pass all my exams and completed all my hours for my PPL with a CAA school, could i then do my skills thes with the IAA? And info would be great...

VFR Transit
8th Apr 2009, 14:42
PPL stuff should go in the private flying thread not PROFESSIONAL. :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

VFR

Tom Power
8th Apr 2009, 20:02
But im going on to cpl etc etc.........

maxdrypower
8th Apr 2009, 20:07
but you're asking about a ppl skill test

Keygrip
8th Apr 2009, 23:52
Depends which CAA school you did it all with....but it's still a PPL you're asking about.

BackPacker
9th Apr 2009, 08:30
To answer the question, your PPL only becomes an ICAO PPL, transferable between countries, once it's a PPL. Until then, it's country-specific bits of paper.

So if you did the ground exams with (of) the UK CAA, then you need to do the skills test (and the R/T practical) under the auspicies of the UK CAA too, and send in the paperwork so that the CAA can issue you the (JAR-FCL compliant) PPL. Only then can you transfer that PPL to the IAA.

Alternatively you simply forget about the UK CAA ground exams you did, and do the whole set of IAA ground exams - that should not be too difficult now. Your experience hours are just that - experience hours, so they will be recognized by the IAA too. Then all that remains is the IAA skills test and you've got an IAA PPL straight away.

But since you're going on with CPL etc: Did you know that *any* ICAO PPL (UK CAA, IAA, FAA, whatever) is good enough as an entry for the CPL? It doesn't have to be from a specific country. And a JAR-FCL compliant PPL is recognized and validated implicitly by the IAA (and vice versa) so for your training up to CPL it really doesn't matter where the PPL was issued, as long as this was in a JAA state.

Whopity
9th Apr 2009, 08:57
it really doesn't matter where the PPL was issued, as long as this was in a JAA state. Surely any ICAO State!

BackPacker
9th Apr 2009, 09:15
Surely any ICAO State!

Depends on the context.

Any ICAO PPL will be accepted as entry to the CPL course/exams. But not any ICAO PPL will be accepted by default to fly in any JAA member states airspace, in a JAA member state registered aircraft. Can't fly a PH-registered plane on a PPL issued by the Botswana authorities, for instance.

Yes, I know the UK allows holders of an FAA PPL to fly a G-reg in UK airspace, but that sort of thing is the exception more than the norm.

So if the OP wants to train/hour build for his CPL (read: act as PIC) in a JAA state, on aircraft registered in a JAA state, he'll specifically need a JAR-FCL compliant PPL issued by one of the JAA member states. Not just any ICAO PPL. although there are ways to get a non-JAA ICAO PPL rendered valid.