PDA

View Full Version : Should I Be Flying

VDF999
8th Apr 2009, 00:02
Hi,

I have passed my PPL nearly a year ago and I am studying for my ATPL I am flying once every 7 odd weeks but I am finding navigating more difficult every time I go flying. I hate to admit this but I am worried some day I am going to go off and get lost, I also carry passengers.

When I’m flying some times I feel that I don’t really know what I’m doing, I don’t know my exact position a long my route all the time, for instants when I started navigation in my ppl when I started to improve but not quite up to solo standard eg getting to my way points but not really knowing where I am most of the time along the route or anticipating what to expect a head.

Some times it’s like I just put my heading write down my ETA and hope my waypoint appears in front of me. I obviously didn’t have this problem when I was flying regularly with my instructor but I cant afford to fly that much now because I am going commercial. I can’t admit something like this to my instructor.

What I am looking for is advice on how to navigate when there are not good land features along the route. How do you know weather your on track or not, How do you know weather the wind is drifting you off your intended track.

Advice will be greatly appreciated.

dabz
8th Apr 2009, 02:28
maybe this is a question you should bring up with an instructor at your school? :8

Keygrip
8th Apr 2009, 02:31
Or with the instructors in the other forum you've posted the same question on.