PDA

View Full Version : What happens after the PPL.....

StandandDeliver1
7th Apr 2009, 17:20
Hi I have a few questions for those more experienced than myself.

1) What is a good plane to buy or buy a share in when you are newly qualified noting that I am 6ft5" and weigh 17 stone and am roughly built like a rugby player, also that I might want to take some similarly built chums flying. I am already wondering if C152's, PA-38, Beech Skippers et al have to be discounted ? ? As surely I'd be over the gross takeoff weight. Please could you also break down the annual fixed costs for your suggestion ( or per month fixed) and how much it would be per hour "wet". I guess budget would be 15 – 20k if buying, 5k ish for share. Would like something that's realiable, economical and fun i.e not £100 per hour between £50 and £75 better

I have seen a great range from shares in a Aeronca Chief for £2750 £30p/m and £30p/h wet (good ? )to £5k £100p/m and £70 p/h for some pretty sorry looking aeroplanes….sometimes i don't understand the vast gulf between prices.

2) What are your experiences of group flying ? Good or Bad ?

3) What are the main things to consider when buying a plane ? Any rules of thumb to be mindfull of ?

4) Off topic but how safe is it flying over water in a single for more than a few hours ?

I read somewhere that its best the buy as new as possible and scale your ambitions back and that will serve you best ? As opposed to buy older and get an old cheap bonanza or something !

Thanks !

XXPLOD
9th Apr 2009, 17:42
If you are 17st and mates are similar then anything designed for 2 such as the 152 or PA38 is really a non-starter!

I would have thought a PA28 would be the obvious if predictable option. Plenty out there. Seek advice in inspecting any aircraft; need to look at the time the engines/airframe have, scruitinise the maintenance, see what bills are looming. If it is genuinely a person selling their share in an established group, with a healthy engine fund then you should be fine. If it's an owner looking for a cash injection to keep a tired old bird in the air then excercise caution!

Look in the classifieds for some examples, for a typical quarter to a sixth share in a reasonable PA28 anything between £3K to £10K could be paid with a fixed monthly cost which sometimes includes an hour of flying, then pay per hour wet.

jxc
9th Apr 2009, 18:00
Hi

I recently joined a cessna 172 group and am doing alot more flying that I would renting due to costs my example is 6k share 1/6th 65pm and 66ph wet
The problem you will have is trying to get four adults like you with any amount of fuel to go anywhere without having to keep stopping and filling up !

To give you an idea i just a W&B on my plane with 4 adults at 17 stone on limits with 85 liters of fuel which would give approx 1hr 15mins with 45min reserve no baggage
and maybe quite cramped

Cheers

Shunter
9th Apr 2009, 18:09
There are good groups and bad groups, just as there are good aircraft and bad aircraft.

We started our group from scratch, and spent 6 months doing research and looking around before we bought an aircraft. It's well run and if you fly more than a couple of hours each month it works out cheaper than renting. Not to mention that you don't have to abide by excessively anal club rules, can go anywhere you want, whenever you want, stay away for extended periods etc. Group aircraft are usually much more loved than rented and often fitted with far better kit.

If you're a big bloke I'd stay away from the likes of 152/PA38 which are simply too small for anything useful in terms of weight carriage. We bought a Cessna 177 which has nice sharp handling, a good turn of speed, gets in and out of the short strips and can carry loads of weight. If you're serious about flying as a long-term hobby, buy into something with some forethought which you won't quickly grow out of. The higher-powered PA28s aren't so bad, although pretty brick-like and unresponsive to fly.