PDA

View Full Version : ShagtheStaff......read this

Your Fellow Muppets
6th Jan 2001, 06:06
Just wondering what bad experiences you have had with the, and we quote, "ops/crewing muppets"??.

Have you ever worked in an operations environment dealing with in excess of 50 flights a day, all Long Haul? With your back to the wall, an ever ageing fleet and given your 'personal feelings' that shout out 'I'm uncooperative, you should try it.

You have one flight to deal with (probably as a cruise pilot), two if you take the return into consideration, You get paid £35'000 min plus xtras, a night in a 5 star hotel, 16 women and 4 days off afterwards.

We get £20'000 at a push, have 50 flights to deal with, the few women we have are hardly spring chickens, NO hotel, NO Xtras, NO Allowances.

Oh, and we don't get the pleasure of arguing about the limp lettuce in the choice of 10 crew sandwiches (before the starter and hot bits arrive). We have to make our own sarnies at 4.00 am, in order to get to work before 6.00am. (I believe 4 early starts in a 7 day period for you renders you useless ......try 6 or 7 starts before 6.00am and throw in a few nights in a 10 day period)

I wouldn't want to bore you with all the trivia, but, if you would like an ops visit, just ask.......we won't bite...MUCH.

wizzflight
6th Jan 2001, 07:37
Go to the bank, convince them to "give" you 50.000 USD and become a pilot. See if you like paying off a huge debt and struggling to get a job for a few years, before you get even close to "16 girls and 4 days off". Lots of guys (and girls) never even get to the good flying jobs.

Your Fellow Muppets
6th Jan 2001, 08:01
you sound bitter my friend......if you hate it that much, why bother?

Be advised i owe £30'000 and hold an atpl /ir (frozen) but still respect the work the ops/crewing guys do 'behind the scenes. Manners cost nothing.

I Kid
6th Jan 2001, 14:25
Bored now !!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

Justin Abeaver
6th Jan 2001, 14:29
This is just the sort of rubbish that makes a mockery of CRM. In my company we involve the ops and crewing people in the CRM courses to give them the feel of the bigger picture. We cannot, after all, provide a service to our clients without them, or us, so cummon chaps and chapesses, work together and consider COMPANY Resource Management!

Bad Boy Bill
6th Jan 2001, 14:42
Thats me

scroggs
6th Jan 2001, 15:02
YFM,
on behalf of the vast majority of the pilot group, please let me say that Shagthestaff's views are not typical. Inevitably there are frustrations and we all take those out on the nearest target (more usually the wife....), and I'm afraid you got caught in the crossfire from a seriously cheesed-off bloke. I wouldn't take it too much to heart!

BigRab
6th Jan 2001, 15:24
Muppet,
Perhaps you should have tried harder at school.
If you don't like it, you can vote with your feet.
Have you invested heavily in time and money?
Do you get tested 6+ times a year?
If you leave will you have to repay a bond and have to start at the bottom of a new seniority list?
How many pilots do you think just walk into the positions that you describe?
You may well be overworked and underpaid http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif, but don't take it out on the pilots who in my opinion have seen their profession downgraded in real terms over the years.
We all need to work together and get all terms and conditions improved.
If that means re-educating the travelling public to pay for it, so be it. :)

Dick_Nice_But_Thick
6th Jan 2001, 15:25
It would be interesting to hear your comments - from the other side of the argument - if you ever have the chance to exercise the privileges of your frozen licence.

It seems to go with the territory that pilots criticise ops/crewing, and ops/crewing think that pilots are a bunch of over-fed, over-paid, moaners. If only companies would encourage pilots to spend time in ops seeing how things run, AND, putting ops/crewing staff on the jumpseat for a four sector early duty, then perhaps opinions would change and the whole damn operation would run more smoothly.

Unfortunately, that would cost money, and so is a non-starter straight away.

Anyway Your Fellow Muppets, I'm sure you're a Blöödy nice bloke actually.

http://www.geocities.com/mildred_of_birmingham_uk/bloody_nice_photo.gif

fcom
6th Jan 2001, 18:34
The problem is that most pilots have never done real days work in their lives and long let that remain.

flyblue
6th Jan 2001, 22:53
Dear Muppets
why don't you just try another company?
In my company, with all the problems it has, and far from being perfect, there is a very nice atmosphere going on between Ops and flying staff (pilots and F/A).

JB007
6th Jan 2001, 23:19
Have to agree with flyblue...
I've worked nearly 9 years in Ops/Crewing and can't remember having that much of a grudge on Flight Crew. I've had the opportunity to work for some of the best airlines in the Uk, some, unfortunatly no-longer with us, all with a very good relationship with Ops/Crewing and Flight Crew.
Maybe it's time to move on Muppets ?

------------------
Hear All...See All...Say Now't.

StressFree
10th Jan 2001, 00:45
Boring, we've had this discussion so many times..................
If you dont like what youre doing move....
I am - to the nearest pub as this is such a bore.....................

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

------------------
'Keep the stress down'