PDA

View Full Version : GA airfield near Stockholm

Aerostar6
6th Apr 2009, 20:36
Anyone know of a GA friendly strip within taxi distance of an air terminal with flights to London?

Need to park 6 aircraft there for a week (hangarage?) for not too much money.

S-Works
6th Apr 2009, 20:52
Take a look at Barkerby. Just North of Stockholm. I was in there last summer, no fees.

Aerostar6
6th Apr 2009, 21:29
Does Barkeby have an ICAO code?

wsmempson
6th Apr 2009, 21:44
Roslagens Flygklubb, to the north of Stockholm.

kalleh
6th Apr 2009, 22:01
Barkarby (ESKB) is currently open on overtime from a municipal decision to close it down. It is still open, but call them and check current status before you go. No landing fees and parking should be free or very cheap.

Bromma (ESSB) is the most central airport but will cost you a little more in both landing and parking fees. I believe landing fee is about 300SEK (about 30 euros), parking fees are here http://www.brommaairport.se/upload/Bromma/internt/Airport%20Information/2009/AI-01-2009.pdf (excluding 25% VAT), scroll down for prices in english)

One option for you might be to land at Skavsta (ESKN), they have Ryan Air flights to London from the airport. Skavsta is "ryan air distance" from Stockholm, which means a rather long ride on an airport coach. I have no idea what parking would cost - call them. I think landing fee is around 300SEK here too...

Roslagens Flygklubb (Norrtälje, ESSN) is suggested, but it is rather remote with not so excellent communications (taxiride to stockholm won't be cheap). IIRC the the runway is 650m and in a slope, so that could be limiting depending on ac type.

DBo
7th Apr 2009, 08:39
You could take a look at Uppsala flygKlub Uppsala Flygklubb (http://www.uppsalafk.com/) They are based 10km north of Uppsala which is a short train ride north of Arlanda airport.

Not quite as convenient as a straight taxi ride, but it might work for you.

Dave

youngskywalker
7th Apr 2009, 09:52
Bromma is excellent, expensive yes but the service from the guys there is very good. You even get to chat to the Parrot....

deltayankee
7th Apr 2009, 10:43
Bromma is excellent...

...and very close to downtown Stockholm, so if they are using 30 you get a very nice approach over the city, especially on a CAVOK day like today.

Arlanda is much further away but is connected to Stockholm by a fast train so it can actually take less time from Arlanda than from Bromma, depending on traffic. Skavsta is a long drive from Stockholm and on busy days the traffic can be bad.

kalleh
7th Apr 2009, 16:15
Bromma is excellent, expensive yes but the service from the guys there is very good. You even get to chat to the Parrot....

Since you're mentioning the Parrot I guess you mean Grafair handling. Using Grafair is probably overkill for the average GA pilot (since this was posted in the private flying section I'll assume that the poster doesn't fly jet/turbine/big twin) - just park the aircraft on the northern parking...

Utfart
7th Apr 2009, 16:34
Västerås (ESOW) is also one of Ryanair's "Stockholm" airports. It's a short taxi and a 1 hour train ride to central Stockholm (or an hour on the airport bus) . If you're just dropping the planes, you can walk to the terminal from GA parking and hop on Ryanair.

david viewing
7th Apr 2009, 18:30
I made an overnight stop at Vasteras last year. Beautiful airfield, very friendly club and fuel service and minimal, if any, landing fee! (I actually can't remember, which has to be good news when visiting any airport!).

As said, the train ride is 1Hr to Stockholm and Vasteras is a very nice lakeside city to stay in.

I also visited Bromma, as said already very helpful people, a little more expensive (maybe 30 euro equiv. without overnight parking?) but right in the city.

One tip is to buy a landing season ticket at the first airport you visit - I recall about 50 Euro, but no further charges for a week or something. Would have been worthwhile, if I'd known about it! Don't know if it covers parking though.

When in Sweden a very scenic place to visit is Visby Island, off the coast some way S of Stockholm.

youngskywalker
8th Apr 2009, 08:35
Sometimes it's worth paying for a more expensive airport/handling agent if it means you have less hassle, expense and time wasted travelling into the City from a smaller cheaper airfield miles away. I've been into Arlanda and Bromma but I know which one I would go back to!

Aerostar6
8th Apr 2009, 22:19
Gentlemen (Ladies?) many thanks. Much to ponder on. Aim to leave 6 Yaks there between Scandie displays, with a quick (Ryanair) shuttle in between.

Anyone know what the landing/parking fee at Stockholm/Vasteras would be for 5 days? No reply from their web address.

Aerostar6
8th Apr 2009, 22:21
David viewing.
I presume your visit was to Vasteras Johannisberg, the GA filed SW of Vasteras?

david viewing
9th Apr 2009, 12:38
Aerostar

I went to ESOW. Details are on the excellent free LFV site (http://www.lfv.se/upload/ANS/AIP/AD/AD%202/ESOW/ES_AD_2_ESOW_en.pdf).

I recall that I phoned the airport number given there and they referred me on to the flying club who supply the fuel (Cash as I recall it). I taxied directly there and didn't go into the terminal at all. They found a hotel for me. The cab ride into Vasteras was only 2-3 miles max. The hotel was 5 min walk from the station and you can buy tickets on the train but it costs more than buying them in the station (but still very moderate).

David