PDA

View Full Version : Robin 200 or C152

quant
5th Apr 2009, 12:05
Hi everyone, i will be starting my PPL next month and i'm wondering if someone can share their wisdom with regards to the above aircraft. I'll be training with multiflight and the price between them is negligible as you get a discount when booking 10 hour blocks. Both are fine with me but the r200 felt more 'roomier'.

Cheers :p

Donalk
5th Apr 2009, 12:34
Both are excellent training aircraft and each type has it's dedicated followers. Most of my time is on the PA 38 and 28 which I love but I have some time on these two also. Overall I would have to say the I preferred the Robin because it just felt a little more lively than the Cessna and the visibility was excellent. The cessna cabin felt a bit tight even though I am a lighweight 70k kilos and my instructor was hardly a candidate for gladiators. On a rainy day though you cant beat that high wing to keep you dry while you load up the Cessna.

Donalk
5th Apr 2009, 12:41
Slightly off thread but be careful about the 10 hour block discount. scarcely anyone on this forum would advise paying up front in the current (or any) financial climate. This is no reflection on the school you have chosen as I'm sure they are decent folk but it pays to be careful. If the discount is too good to miss you might consider using your credit card to pay as you will then be covered in the event the service is not provided. Happy flying.

flybymike
5th Apr 2009, 15:37
Good general advice from Donalk and if I had to risk an up front payment the financial incentive would have to be very attractive. Remember they have the use of your cash and if your lessons are delayed due to weather etc then your loss of interest is their gain. Multiflight though, are one of the few I would take a chance on prepayment with.

A and C
6th Apr 2009, 09:05
Flybymike

With the interest rates on savings at the moment I don,t think this is a factor!

Donalk

10 hours paid up front seems a managable risk......... but no more than 10 hours.

Quant

The Robin is without doubt the nicest aircraft to fly however the company has gone bust and at the moment parts are in short supply, I have no doubt that the flow of parts will start sometime but the Robin stand at the Aeroexpo in Germany last week was a joke with reprisentatves from the new company being totaly absent! So in the short term using the Robin might disrupt your flying.

quant
6th Apr 2009, 12:26
Thank you all for the responses ;)

grahama
10th Apr 2009, 04:00
I trained on a robin 200 after NSF (now Sibson) let me try robin cessna and warrior before deciding.

I would recommend the robin, after flying this (although no vices) I found others are easy and some stick experience is good if you want to do older types or fly the DR 400.

Trouble is visibility and performance of Robins become addictive and I now own a Robin 100!!! and find other types boring!