PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP to Canadian ATPL

Azzurri
4th Apr 2009, 21:12
Hello,

My coworker needs to write the FAAAA Conversion Exam of 25 to 50 questions on Section One/ Air Law and Procedures to be granted a Canadian Licence.
He has a million hours on big jets and three ATP's from other countries.

Could you tell me if there is a specific book that he needs to study, or, which group of books should he concentrate on? I ask as I too have been away from Canada for many years and don't really know or remember.

I think that the CULHANE ATPL and the RAC Section of the AIP is enough. Would anybody care to comment? And, would www.aviationworld.net be able to help him?

Thank you.

Azzurri

skearns
4th Apr 2009, 22:47
I spoke directly with a Transport Canada inspector and that is what I would recommend firstly.

I fly for a corporation here in the US and have attained several type ratings throughout the years and now what to "convert" my US ATPL to a Canadian one. "Convert" is somewhat of a confusing term because one does not have to surrender one license for the other.

Before any paperwork can be processed, a Canadian medical needs to be attained, then the test, then the application...I think.

Of course everything costs and for every type rating one wants to activate on the Canadian licence, costs about $30 each.

For the US (because the two countries have a reciprocol agreement), there is a 25 question "differences" test on Canadian Aviation law, from what I understand. I am supposed to be getting more information on all of that. I was given the impression that there is specific study material for the test.

As I mentioned above, a phone call directly to a TC inspector might be in order.

Good luck to your friend.

Azzurri
5th Apr 2009, 18:20
Thank you Mr. Skearns for your reply...My coworker is aware of the costs, details, medicals, etc. He would just like to know if there is a specific book for people preparing to write the conversion exam. If and when you find out, could you pass along the message? I'd sure appreciate it.

He is not trying to work in Canada. He just wants the licence to add to his impressive collection of Types and ATPL's. That's all.

Azzurri

Bushed
5th Apr 2009, 19:03
Tell him to get his hands on the Aerocourse ATPL question and answer guide. While there is no specific book with the exact questions and answers as you have in the U.S., Aerocourse is as close as you can get. Much much better than the Culhane books...huge waste of money if you ask me! Even better if he can make the trip north and do the two day weekend Aerocourse prep seminar. He'd be ready to write by Monday morning.

Azzurri
6th Apr 2009, 08:48
Thank you very much Bushed and Mr. Skearns for your replies; I do appreciate them. I forgot all about the Aerocourse option as well.
Our flight department is on the other side of the world but the aircraft are American and Bermuda registered. We thus all fly on FAA licences, though are not necessarily American citizens.
I'll pass the message to my coworker. Thanks again guys.

Azzurri