PDA

View Full Version : PPL training at RAF base

robian
4th Apr 2009, 10:59
I am completing my search for the right school/club where to carry out the PPL training and have come across a RAF base offering PPL training. What s the difference between training at a civil club/school and a RAF base? Anyting I need to be aware of about their style of training? Thanks

tmmorris
4th Apr 2009, 13:08
No difference at all apart from:

1. RT procedures - some different terminology;
2. Circuits - military prefer smaller, oval circuits.

Both of those are covered in CAP413.

RAFFCA clubs are basically civilian clubs for military personnel. Depending on the attitude of the Station Commander, some clubs are limited to military personnel only and some accept civilians readily. PM me if the ones you have in mind are near Oxford...

Tim

Torque Tonight
4th Apr 2009, 15:08
If you're thinking about the one about 15m south of Oxford, I wouldn't bother. Despite using all the means of contact on their various websites, sending countless emails, leaving numerous answerphone messages and filling in webform enquiries I never heard anything back from them at all. I know some of the guys will be away on ops at times but after about two months of trying I took my several thousand pounds and spent it elsewhere. (And I used to be in the RAF!) :ugh:

Whopity
4th Apr 2009, 18:26
2. Circuits - military prefer smaller, oval circuits.But not for civil aircraft who fly a standard pattern but report Final on base leg.

skua
4th Apr 2009, 21:17
I think Marham and possibly Halton are open for civvie SPLs. From my limited knwledge of them, their professionalism as at least as great as that of most clubs at purely civilian fields. And the lanscape can be a lot more interesting....

Whopity
5th Apr 2009, 08:29
And Brize Norton and Lyneham.

Military clubs are allowed to have a proportion of civilian members provided they do not use military funding and make some contribution to the club (non financial). There are more advantages than disadvantages if you can get in.

tmmorris
5th Apr 2009, 16:44
Whopity,

Not at Benson they don't - we only fly square circuits when ATC is closed.

Tim

maxdrypower
5th Apr 2009, 16:48
I learnt at Brize and we most definately never did anything but oval circuits , still cant get used to these silly square ones
:ugh:
I will say although it was fifteen years ago and at the time i wasnt commisioned , their attitude toward non coms and civvies was a bit **** to say the least , although the training was good and the aircraft were too , I assume they still use JP and JR saw them not so loong back on their website

robian
5th Apr 2009, 17:05
Thank you all for your time to respond to this thread.
rob

Whopity
5th Apr 2009, 17:51
I learnt at Brize and we most definately never did anything but oval circuitsOdd, cos I instructed there then and I have only ever flown a rectangular circuit, originally at 800 ft then it was raised to 1000. It was drawn that way in the FOB as far back as 1989. The only place we flew oval circuits was at Benson. Alas JP and JR have been sold along with AF.

maxdrypower
5th Apr 2009, 19:43
Odd ! Cos I certainly didnt invent oval circuits but was never taught anything else, ah well , either way works:O

Squawk7143
7th Apr 2009, 09:19
As for circuits, we fly what we like

airpolice you old rebel......I just do what they tell me :O

InfraBoy
7th Apr 2009, 09:35
Get yourself along to RAF Halton's Aero Club. We have a wide selection of club aircraft and due to the large number of military members have space for civilian members. With a permanent instructor and ops manager on staff the phone will always be answered. Check out www.haltonaeroclub.org.uk (http://www.haltonaeroclub.org.uk)

See you there!!