PDA

View Full Version : More Swissport Redundancies??

Pages : [1] 2

groundhogbhx
3rd Apr 2009, 10:55
Was told on my way out last night that Swissport UK are making all of their DM's redundant to save the company £600k a year!!! If it is true it looks like yet more work being dumped on those that are struggling to cover everything as it is.

One more step down the slippery slope?:ugh:

OPS1978
4th Apr 2009, 20:40
I am glad I got out when I did the place is a right joke and the joke of bhx servisair EMA for now a proper company again!!!. Feel sorry for the good staff that are left there. How an earth they kept monarch is beyond me.

OPS1978
5th Apr 2009, 19:36
Its prob no2 than same one that was a load controller before DM that couldnt even do a cyprus airways load sheet. Shall I continue I could say alot of stories about things now I have left but maybe thats for another day lol!!!!, but never mind there is always your sister to get you out of scrapes at work what your family for he he!!!:D:D

groundhogbhx
5th Apr 2009, 21:44
You forgot number 4 who seems to have been tipped off and managed to get moved to cover maternity leave just before the axe came out:ok:

Anyway, it isn't just BHX that is going to feel the effects but all stations and I'm sure some off them will get an increase in work load just when they could do without it. At least the ones at BHX could be an extra pair of hands at the gate from time to time, if they could find their way there of course.

PPRuNe Pop
18th Apr 2009, 22:36
Ok, listen up. This is getting close to breaking our rules in regard to veiled abuse and innuendo which also borders on slander.

For your information: PPRuNe requires that any attacks on anyone under cover of anonimity must be later supported by the personal details of the poster. This is so they can be presented by the poster to any legal action against PPRuNe.

Hope that is clear.

You can be sure that the best way to avoid the above is to keep your mouth well and truly shut. It is safer that way.

Some posts have been deleted to save you the trouble.

PPP

bazzab68
20th Apr 2009, 04:19
Can only really blame themselves, were given ample oppurtunity to move handling agents during the winter and chose to stay with Swissport on a reduced turnaround rate. If Swissport BHX want to man contracts up correctly then surely they should stop operating contracts at a loss, doing this will enable them to man correctly and stop airlines moaning.. It must get on the staffs nerves constantly knowing that regardless of the effort put in a/c will depart late as there simply is not enough staff around..... #

Can MOnarch really get out of this contract and at this late stage would the service be any better elsewhere as handling agents are pretty much in the finalising stage of seasonal staff at present...

We shall see???

Regards

Barry BHX

groundhogbhx
20th Apr 2009, 13:33
3 week certainly wouldn't give anyone time to staff up for that volume of work:(

legalize
20th Apr 2009, 23:02
Bazzab

I have to disagree with your point about late a/c dep. If you look at the figures for all H/A you will see that Swissport actually have the highest % of On time departures. If airlines are upset with them it must be down to another handling issue, defnateley not OTD.

simonchowder
21st Apr 2009, 15:47
It makes you wonder whether it would be worth monarch having their own handling company they have after all their fingers in so many other aviation related pies, why not cut out these bumbling half wits and do it themselves?

Alan Tracey
21st Apr 2009, 20:05
WHY !!!
Monarch win all the time as they have tendered their business and I am sure got lower handling rates because of the intense competition... with a strong performance based SLA, it is all cash in the bank for Monarch.... much more important these days than consistant service......:rolleyes:

With both MON and Flybe out to tender last winter, Swissport must have taken a serious drop in revenue to keep the business, so standards will drop.....:ugh:

exaviation
22nd Apr 2009, 09:42
Come on everyone lets leave this company alone,
Groundstar days were good for the most part,I was there from the start, well almost, and yes it was very frustrating towards the end.
I was done, and it was time to go,if you are still there and hate it so much then LEAVE. It's a big wide world out there, and life is too short, so lets stop wasting time on this old chestnut:D

legalize
24th Apr 2009, 23:41
OPS1978

You hear a lot..Shame it never materialises...

transwede
25th Apr 2009, 09:20
Over on the airlines, airports and routes forum, it has been posted that TOM have served notice on Swissport NCL - could they just be looking for a cheaper deal?

Captain Caveman
25th Apr 2009, 12:05
Swissport BHX have the best on time performance because they handle least flights! Funny that cos Ryanair claim they lose the least amount of bags every year compared to BA, thats because FR probably handle a very small fraction of bags compared to BA - Its all stats people!

S78
25th Apr 2009, 12:27
I can confirm OPS1978's message at post # 10 as I was working that night.

3 ZB Spanish flights down in about 40 minutes - and only 1 team to deal with them. The first flight came through without any problems, but the 2 from the Canary Islands were dealt with by staff and equipment dashing between the 2 and generally looking like headless chickens.

When you have 2 flights due down at the same time (23:55), you should staff accordingly:ugh:, after all, flights have been known to run on time:E

S78

chrystall
25th Apr 2009, 17:12
good luck to all staff - ground staff are forever getting a raw deal - heard other gha's were also in trouble - difficult times ahead me thinks!

LGWSTAR
1st May 2009, 18:38
swissport redundancies
good luck to all staff - ground staff are forever getting a raw deal - heard other gha's were also in trouble - difficult times ahead me thinks!
http://static.pprune.org/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://static.pprune.org/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/report.php?p=4885730)

Just heard the LGW ramp manager of Swissport has been given "another" role within the company and will not be returning to his position. Is this another twist in the swissport story at Gatwick? Management have been sent down from up north to try to re-structure the business and cut costs but since changing shift patterns and generally not knowing how one of the busiest single runway charter airports in the world operates have succesfully caused more delays than previously heard of through swissport/groundstar. Many airlines now getting fed up of the continuously poor service and rumoured to be wanting to go elsewhere but lack of handling agents prohibits this. Gate Aviation...... its the future!! http://static.pprune.org/images/buttons/reply_small.gif (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4885730&noquote=1)

Hollymead
1st May 2009, 20:56
I hear Swissport have renegaded on the 2 year pay deal amid gloomy predictions of crippling losses .

Is the end nigh ?

legalize
1st May 2009, 22:53
From my sources at Swissport I was lead to beleive that a 2 year deal had been signed last year as a nationwide deal in coperation with the unions. The 2nd part of the deal taking effect from April 2009 to April 2010.

Im sure even Swissport directors wouldnt stoop that low and not pay the 2nd year rise:=:=

bejw2008
4th May 2009, 22:34
The bags were left on the inbound LCA flight, the night shift only unloaded the rear holds and failed to unload the front. The next morning the plane was then sent to AGP with the bags still onboard, it was only when the ramp checked the forward hold in AGP that the bags were found. WELL DONE SWISSPORT....

ReadyToGo
5th May 2009, 02:29
How the hell does this happen?

Surely at reclaim, when X amount of angry pax were missing bags, someone would go check the belts and holds???

Very very very poor.

RTG!

Hollymead
5th May 2009, 08:52
From my sources at Swissport I was lead to beleive that a 2 year deal had been signed last year as a nationwide deal in coperation with the unions. The 2nd part of the deal taking effect from April 2009 to April 2010.

Im sure even Swissport directors wouldnt stoop that low and not pay the 2nd year rise

Ask your sources to check their wage slips then .

tickerdboo
5th May 2009, 20:13
Just checked mine and no 2.75% pay rise present, the union and the managment are having meetings about it soon...

legalize
5th May 2009, 23:41
Im still struggling to understand how your company could even contemplate getting away with this. Surely if it is signed and in writing they cant do anything. Do you actually have it in writing?

If you let them get away with this, then im afraid they will take the piss even more in teh future. Stick to your guns guys:ok:

British Grenadier
6th May 2009, 20:17
Good riddance to Swisport altogether ( and the s hasn't been left out by accident either ) a shyster firm if i ever did meet, i was working for Aer Lingus at LHR when Lingus decided to leave the third handling business at Lhr and sold out to Swisport Int, then with the demise of the Sair Group, and collapse of Swiss Air, 55% was sold to an investment group Candover ( or Condover as we called them ) over the next four years through crap management we lost just about every piece of work, and when you consider that under Lingus we handled nearly 30 Airlines at LHR, thats a tidy sum , then Swisport Int bought Groundstar , they were due to come under the Swisport UK banner , but No their management were to take over the running of us ??? strange ?? yet unknown to us Swisport Int were getting ready to dump Swisport UK , their part of their cunning plan was to offer voluntary redundancies , £15,000 a man , 114 staff were required, as you can imagine , a disgruntled workforce and plenty of jobs still around they were over subscribed ( cost £1.4 million ) a few months down the road the duty managers were asked for voluntary redundancies 20 of them at £20 - £25000 a piece , next the ex-Lingus staff were told freeze your pensions and give up your holiday pay, and the new Swisport staff were also told that they would have to give up their 13th month pay as well !! other wise the Company would fold !!!! due to the £2 million debt that we had made !!!

The staff by then were so fed up they said get on with it !!! Nov 16th 2004 we were shut down, 4 1/2 years later we are still waiting for Deloitte's to give us our monies owed !!

SO GOOD RIDDANCE SWISPORT !!!!!!!!!!! :D

Hollymead
9th May 2009, 19:46
Just checked mine and no 2.75% pay rise present, the union and the managment are having meetings about it soon...

Soon you say ? The management cancelled the meeting and put it back until the end of the month .

Im sure that will be cancelled too .

legalize
12th May 2009, 20:05
Any idea how the Union-Swissport pay talks went today in London?

Hollymead
15th May 2009, 09:58
Er , read the post above yours legalize .

legalize
15th May 2009, 14:40
What was the reason given for cancelling the meeting?

OPS1978
15th May 2009, 16:16
Its more than likley they are about to lose a major contract so they are putting pay talks on hold just a thought?.

legalize
15th May 2009, 18:45
Ops1978

Enlighten us why dont you...

OPS1978
15th May 2009, 19:02
Legalize I dont know anything it was just a thought.

tigger2k8
16th May 2009, 01:58
or it could be that management simply doesnt want to discuss the issue, hence they will put off the meeting as long as they can...

bejw2008
19th May 2009, 14:11
And now we all get begging letters through the door, what a joke... Still i dont know what the management are worried about as nobody at BHX, union wise, would have the balls to do anything about it if they said that there not going stand by there original 2 year pay deal. What joke on both sides, management and union.

bejw2008
20th May 2009, 19:53
Monarch to issue 60 day notice to Swissport as of 23rd May 2009, they should be signing with Gate Aviation within the next 3 days,remember you heard it here first...

legalize
20th May 2009, 23:40
I will believe it when i see it..Unfortuantely this is the 4th or 5th time this rumour has been posted in the last couple of years. Sounds more like someone wishing rather than it being reality.

What I dont understand is why everyone thinks Gate Aviation is going to be a saviour. Do you honestly think that in this current climate they will have better pay, working conditions, management?? I dont think so

If the ex-swissport management who now work at gate were so good, why did they get FIRED!!!

call100
21st May 2009, 08:00
Because of the ridiculous situation of companies doing the jobs for nothing and airlines squeezing, there are no good handling agents out there....There are some good people on the ground trying really hard, but, to be honest, they are on a hiding to nothing..:ugh:

legalize
21st May 2009, 17:12
It's funny how no one trusted these managers when they were at Swissport. Yet these same peopel are now going on about how good they are!!

legalize
22nd May 2009, 17:57
Well Friday 23rd may and all offices are now closed. There was no 60 days notice enforced so as we already knew the rumour was just that, a load of cobblers!!

bejw2008
23rd May 2009, 11:16
Looks like I was given some duff information, thats the last time I trust that talking frog I keen seeing on the grass to and from the car park....

legalize
23rd May 2009, 12:51
Lol!!!

Did the frog have TONSILITIS by any chance :ok::ok:

legalize
27th May 2009, 19:41
From what I hear union-mangement meeting did not go well. Management did not offer anything worthwhile and were not interested at all in honouring the year 2 deal. Swissport director ended up walking out o fthe meeting as he had no answers to trade union questions.

Swissport balloting for strike!

tigger2k8
27th May 2009, 19:51
so what help will striking do? all its going to do is give management a list for the redundancies that will no doubt happen this winter..

i dont think any pay rises in ground handling have happened this year, if i hear the strike word at my work, ill be leaving the union... id rather have a job than to highlight my name for redundancy come winter, over the sake of a couple of pence..

LGWSTAR
27th May 2009, 22:03
In this current climate what is the point fighting for and extra few quid a month for the sake of crippling an already loss making company and putting yourself out of work? Granted, i dont agree with the way swissport go about negotiations but can anybody really expect a pay rise? Yes they agreed to it and now cant afford it. If you dont like it find another job. Its harsh but we are in a deep recession and airlines expect better service for less money all the time, just look what they did to Heathrow when the unions kept on with all the unrealistic demands and threats. Believe me im not by any means a supporter of swissport or any of its managment but i think all of us in an already suffering airline industry need to ride this out and be realistic.

Sprogston Green
28th May 2009, 13:53
Wise words LGWSTAR

legalize
28th May 2009, 17:29
LGWSTAR

Im afraid I have to disagree with you. It is becauase of weak people like you that managment think they have the right to walk over everyone and do what they want. If everyone in the world had your mentality imagine what a bad state we would be in.

Capt Wannabe
28th May 2009, 19:18
LGWSTAR - Very wise words. I think there are a large number of people about who could benefit from listening to the likes of you. It amazes me the number of folk who fail to understand or realise the state the global economy is in at the moment and how this impacts on business.
I too have absolutely no interest in a pay rise if it means I get to keep a job - let's face it, there aren't many jobs out there.

LGWSTAR
28th May 2009, 19:24
Legalize...

Im informed Swissport as well as other handling agents are losing money by the week. So how do you propose giving staff a pay rise? Im not being weak im being realistic in what is already a very volatile industry. With respect, its people like you who are causing this industry to suffer further by yours and the unions demands. How anybody can support strike action in the current climate is beyond me. Its time people woke up and realised we are in a recession and jobs are few and far between.

greuzi
28th May 2009, 20:05
It is now over 10 years since I dealt with any union issue. At the time I worked for a very large company and a union was forcing itself to be officially recognised. It was all new to me to so I did my research and found out the following which I shared with my colleagues.

1. Unions do not safeguard peoples jobs.....but many think they do.
2. Most unions make profit and much of this is then donated to political parties without consultation with its members. Many companies, most airlines and handling companies do not make profit right now. Surely a surplus in union funds should be given back to its members instead of donated to political parties you yourself may not vote for?
3. The subscriptions that are paid fund very attractive salaries for union reps that often include company cars (5 series BMW) and other perks.
4. Unions often provide or sell perks and insurances that an employer provides anyway if you take the time to look.

In short. Make up your own minds but do your own research and do not rely on word of mouth or peer pressure.

I am happy to say that 10 years on, the organisation in question is still non-unionised to this day based on the choice of the 2500+ employees.

Some of you need to wake up and see the real world. If it was my £2 a week I'd spend it on the lottery instead.

tigger2k8
29th May 2009, 00:02
only reason i joined the union was the insurance cover incase i get injured or worse, theres some form of protection for my family.. dont give a toss about pay rises, if you get one fair enough, if you dont then oh well, least you still have a job

call100
31st May 2009, 00:08
You all deserve what you get.....The ignorant amongst you keep going on about the Union like it's a separate entity.....The members are the Union. If the members don't want to take industrial action then it won't happen.

greuzi..Maybe you should have done some proper research and even updated it. If you have a beef with National Union officers fine. However there are a lot of decent hard working reps on the ground. There biggest problem is dealing with people like you who talk a load of bollocks and think that Union bashing is the thing to do....It's so old fashioned and out of touch. As you admit at least ten years out of touch........:ugh:

greuzi
31st May 2009, 17:59
Call 100

Please save me the time and identify which of the 4 points I mentioned is incorrect?

Alternatively you might want to confirm they are all accurate, current and not 10 years out of date at all :ok:

call100
31st May 2009, 19:38
Call 100

Please save me the time and identify which of the 4 points I mentioned is incorrect?

Alternatively you might want to confirm they are all accurate, current and not 10 years out of date at all :ok:
Certainly...Unions do safeguard jobs...Some at BHX are at the moment grateful to the TU to mention but one. Look at Honda and Nissan.....etc. etc.
Donations to Political parties are only payable from the Political fund that members can opt out of.
The Unions don't 'Sell' any perks that an employer provides. Like any large organisation it gains discounts from the likes of insurance companies etc that it offers to members.
Finally the salary question. The answer is of course that the full time officials are paid the wage commensurate with their level of responsibility. Just as any other large organisation. For regional reps a car is essential. They can be responsible for up to 200 companies. (Vauxhall Vectra as a matter of interest)
Your points were not borne of research they are just generalities. We could all put down such generalities aimed at the MD's and boards of most large companies. The problem is that in doing that it undermines all the hard work done on the ground by everyone else.
I've never seen, for instance, an MD who was worth the money they are paid.
So by that token I also don't think that the National Union Leaders are worth the money they are paid. Thankfully though, most of the work is done by hard working regional full time officials and the shop stewards on the ground. This is the reality of the TU not your Daily Mail observations.
A work force will always be better off in a union than out of it. No strike can be ordered, it must be voted for secretly and scrutinised independently.
As I said your views are way out of date. Don't take Woodly and Simpson shouting on the TV to be the Union.......Look at the local work...
I don't suppose I ever will change your views just as you will have no effect on mine. It would be a bad world if we all thought exactly alike.:ok:

legalize
31st May 2009, 19:43
Callq100

Well said mate. I agree 100% with you comments. Unfortunateley our industry is not in a bad situation because of the credit crunch, it is in a bad way because of the 'scabs' that work with us who are happy to accept the pay rises and other benefits the unions win for us but refuse to pay the fees and join the union to make the workforce stronger.

Trash_Hauler
31st May 2009, 21:17
Absolutely bang on legalize. I am sick to death of non union workers benefiting from my hard earned union dues and reaping the rewards of OUR collective bargaining! There are too many weak minded individuals that just roll over at the first sign of things getting tough. Oh well... at least THEY still have a job... nevermind that they are being raped by their management... at least they still have a job! If everyone joined forces and stood together then and ONLY then can positive change happen. The union is not some all knowing all being entity... it is the members and nothing more. It is not in the members best interest to cripple their employers to the point of ceasing trading. It is however only fair that management should play fair and be honest with the unions and also it is only right that all agreements should be honoured. If Swissport management failed to see that the indicators for recession were not plaina s day then they should get the sack for gross incompetence. If the company is now not in a position to pay out on an already agreed deal then they should come to some sort of compromise. For management to just get up and walk out of a meeting because they had nothing further to say smacks of arrogance.

greuzi
1st Jun 2009, 06:11
All,

There is a middle ground in everything. I have no doubt there are people in the various unions that are there for the right reasons doing a good job day in day out. For me, the biggest single problem is that the outlook is often towards confrontation and not cooperation. That is a fundamental flaw and you do concede there are concerns that even you have about the top of these organisations.

It is also not clever to use the argument that my views are outdated, yet use the word 'scabs' when referring to non-union members. If things have moved on, that is definitely not a way to show it.

In the end it is a matter of choice. As I said earlier the organisation I was involved with on union issues remains non-unionised. What really annoyed me at the time was that there was lots of peer pressure involved and the union overstated its benefits and capabilities to the audience. That may have changed today and I am prepared to take your word for it.

I do still think non-unionised workforces can secure good conditions and salaries, and maybe without starting staring steely eyed across a table can secure a better deal for all. You are much more likely to secure a good result with free and open dialogue without a background of bitterness, resentment and mistrust are you not?

For those organisations where there is no alternative, then of course the unions have their place. It just brings with it payrises effected by argument over a number of weeks about fractions of decimal places that might, in the end, let a family take the granparents out for Sunday lunch once a month. It turns negotiations into a game that often gets personal, and whoever feels they 'lost' last year wants to win the game this year. All a bit sad really as there are families out there dependant upon that circus to secure a good deal for them. I personally don't side with employer or union. I just see the system can often become a fiasco.

The Honda story is a good example of common sense prevailing. Honda would not want to lose such a modern and productive plant with cheap labour compared with the rest of Europe. The consequences for the government of paying unempoyment benefit for all those people would be a big incentive for the union bosses to have shared a few phone calls. For the people involved (beyond the 1'300 that took redundancy) a good solution was a pay cut. Everybody played their part but please don't be so naive to suggest this solution was hatched by the union. Honda, the employees and the government made it happen with union in support. Please don't forget though that this keeps 500 in employment more than is required. It is a good plan if the recession is temporary as it locks in all that skillbase for better times ahead. If the thing drags on however, the place is very overstaffed.

call100
1st Jun 2009, 09:07
greuzi
Firstly...Calling someone who disagrees with the general views of the Union members a 'Scab' is not something I do.

Very few negotiations are carried out in the way you describe. That is definitely old hat. On the rare occasions it does occur both sides are to blame for the situation. In a modern world you cannot rely on the strike to force a way forward. Therefore looking 'steely eyed' across a table would not result in anything but stalemate...That is true from both sides of the table.

No responsible Union would advise their members to strike over fractions. Usually a pay rise comes with other strings that are not publicised making it look like a petty argument. I find that the publicity of industrial conflict rarely reflect the real situation.

The Honda plant situation was, in fact, borne out of talks around a table between Unions and Management. The possibility of the plan was first muted by the TU. The job of the TU is to safeguard jobs in those situations. They have done a good job there. Remember as far as redundancy goes, the TU always fights for Voluntary redundancies and a good package to ensure enough volunteers. Many are happy to go.

There are many small engineering firms, in the Midlands particularly, that are still up and running because of deals brokered by the TU on behalf of members to keep jobs going. Some with pay cuts, some with short time working, some with other conditions. At none of these was there a gung ho charge by the TU to prove a point. Priority was to save the companies and save the jobs only cooperation achieved this.

One of the main dangers of course is member apathy. This usually leads to the TU having not much choice but to listen to those who are being vocal. This may not be what the majority want. Hence the rules around strike ballots. No TU would want to administer a strike action and then not have anyone take action. That would be counter productive.
Win Win is the buzz word for negotiations and is usually the outcome in the majority of cases.

It's a pity all the successful bargaining/troubleshooting negotiations don't get the publicity they deserve.

Oh well, onward and upward and a big cheer for the middle ground....

Nice chatting.:ok:

greuzi
1st Jun 2009, 13:51
Same to you Call 100. I suspect we share the middle ground, but both get frustrated as a consequence of our various experiences.

Wish you all the best

G

ramp1
1st Jun 2009, 19:14
doyou think swissport holding on to the 2.75 % till end of season wont have to pay seasonel staff the rise and save money (useing the climate as a excuse )

TheMaskedDispatcher
1st Jun 2009, 19:34
i particularly agree with TrashHauler's point about 'collective bargaining' . . Unionisation is NOT (despite what terrified Management and paranoid 'customer' airlines will have you think) about workers trying to get out of more and more work for more and more money . .its about recognising that some tasks need to be altered, some responsibilities expanded or changed and that pecuniary advantage in reward for that MUST be made. Scratching of mutual backs is absolutley the cornerstone of good industrial relations and all companies need to be talking BETWEEN each other to prevent abuse of staff (ie 'if you dont do it then XYZ will do for half the money . .and be GLAD of a job!') . . . staff being made to do more and more for less is fundamentally damaging to the industry. Good and eager staff are the only vital resource this industry has . . to have staff that actually give a damn is even better, all companies would do well not to discourage them.

T-M-D

bejw2008
1st Jun 2009, 19:46
So how is swisspost like Honda, the management here are nothing short of a joke, have lost count of how many we have gone through and not just department management but all the way to the top, I hear that the current ramp manager is doing his garden again, and as for the man at the top, the CEO, well according to the union he looked like a broken man at the meeting clearly stating that he has no clue what is going on or what to do about it, he also stated that he dose not have any faith in his station managers at all, so where do we go from here?

call100
2nd Jun 2009, 14:38
I don't think anyone was comparing Swissport to Honda (Heaven forbid!!). Read the piece again and you will see it was said in reference to something else....:)

PRLB
4th Jun 2009, 10:35
Its a ticking time bomb waiting to explode.....

TheMaskedDispatcher
4th Jun 2009, 18:02
I for one am investing heavily in a company that makes body bags . . i should make a killing!

T-Mass-Destructor

legalize
7th Jun 2009, 01:24
Whats the latest on the nationwide ballot that was taken place. I have not had a chance to talk to my Swissport contact as she is based at another base at the moment.

bejw2008
11th Jun 2009, 09:13
Its like I said before the union and its members have no balls to strike, all you hear is talk talk and more talk, I for one am getting sick of hearing them always cry about doing a hard days work, you know where the door is.

PRLB
11th Jun 2009, 19:27
anybody hear the latest goings on from swissport bhx apprantley they loaded the wrong bags on a flybe DUS flight and the aircraft went to DUS with the wrong bags on board oh dear:ugh::=

LGWSTAR
12th Jun 2009, 05:36
Its like I said before the union and its members have no balls to strike, all you hear is talk talk and more talk, I for one am getting sick of hearing them always cry about doing a hard days work, you know where the door is

Couldnt have put it better myself...

undiemole
12th Jun 2009, 09:05
Re the "wrong bags" on DUS flight, the blame cannot be apportioned to management on something like this, the responsibility lays with the ramp T/L and the despatcher, who both should have done their check of bag tags to check correct flight, just neglect of basics.:ugh:

Dropline
12th Jun 2009, 11:53
At Swissport BHX the ramp team leader is also the dispatcher, therefore there is no-one to notice if the team leader makes a mistake like this!
A prime example of how management cost cutting jeopardises safety...

ReadyToGo
12th Jun 2009, 16:24
Even if the T/L and dispatcher are the same person, surely he knows he is on a DUS flight, and surely then when the triple A's are passed he is going to check them?

Pisspoor mistake to make for one person it has to be said. One wrong bag may slip through the net once in a while. But if its a trailer load of bags... well thats just careless

RTG!

RollNow!
12th Jun 2009, 17:33
This baggage misplacement happened a while ago with 2 x FCA flights one to PMI the other to LPA. I know they both have palma in them but its not good. Simple bag check stops the entire thing happening.

You can blame managment to a point but i dont subcribe to the philosophy that a T/L should be responsible for loadsheets, being 50% a dispatcher.

legalize
12th Jun 2009, 21:36
Birmingham airport strike threat over pay

Birmingham airport workers could hold disruptive summer strikes after bosses said they “did not have the money” for pay rises that were agreed last year.
Check-in staff and baggage handlers, who are employed by Swissport, are angry about a 2.75 per cent pay increase that has not been honoured by their employers.
The two-year pay deal was agreed last year and salaries should have increased from April 1.
The same deal was agreed with members across the country, who also work at the UK’s busiest airports, including London Gatwick, Heathrow and Stansted, as well as Manchester, Glasgow and Newcastle.
The Unite union confirmed that Swissport had told them it does not have the money.
John Partridge, deputy regional secretary at Unite, said: “This is a two-year deal that was agreed last year but has not been paid. There was a formal agreement for a 2.75 per cent pay increase that should have started in April.
“They told staff that they were very sorry but they were not honouring the pay rise because they could not afford it. They said they simply didn’t have the money.
“They agreed to meet one of our national officers. He told them that they had to come up with the cash. We went out to the members to see if they would support the principal of industrial action and they said yes.
“We are now waiting to see what Swissport have to say for themselves. It is potentially serious because if Swissport say they are not going to pay then there will be a ballot for industrial action.
“They are a big player at Birmingham Airport.”
A worker, who did not wish to be named, said there was anger among staff, of which there are at least 150 in Birmingham.
He said: “We agreed a deal that should have been paid by now and the company is trying to get out of it.
“The company says it has no money to pay us a rise at all.
“The union is looking at what the next stage is but everybody is really angry. There is no point in having these kinds of deals if they are not going to stick to them.”
A Swissport spokesman said: “As part of a pay agreement a minimum increase of 2.75 per cent was agreed.
“However, in common with the rest of the world, the subsequent economic events were obviously not foreseen.
“Yet, despite our customers seeking reductions in prices, the company has expressed its commitment to increase both the salaries and benefits of its employees.
“We have invited the trade union to join with us in seeking ways both to increase revenue and productivity and reduce costs to fund these improvements.
“But unfortunately they have refused to enter into any discussions.
“The company is, however, continuing to consult with its employees to explore all ideas and suggestions that will enable improvements to be made to both salaries and employee benefits.”
A spokeswoman for the airport said Swissport was one of four companies that provided ground services for them.
She said the airport had not been informed of any dispute and that commenting on potential disruption would be “speculation at this stage.”

GRIZZLER
13th Jun 2009, 11:40
I bet..... if it had have been the other way round that swissport had made a massive profit and the boys said we want more than the 2.75 percent that was agreed.....swissport would have said no thats not part of the 2 year pay deal.......remember boys for the future.....boot and other foot comes to mind......and what has been agreed does not matter.

tigger2k8
13th Jun 2009, 16:59
agreed with above, think of the future, reality is pay rises this year in most jobs aren't happening for obvious reasons... theres no need to highlight your name for redundancy come winter..

groundhogbhx
13th Jun 2009, 22:20
The baggage miss load flights were BOJ and HER. Both flights were delayed and subject to a/c swaps to reduce the wait. Loadplans had been issued before the swap but the ramp team didn't check before they went out. Unfortunately the despatcher who did know about it was more interested in checking out the cabin crew and passengers than making sure his aircraft was loaded properly. The result was the despatcher being removed from his job and new proceedures to make sure it didn't happen again. I'm pretty sure these proceedures were not applied to the Team Leaders doing the BE flights, maybe now they will:ok:

bejw2008
14th Jun 2009, 19:32
I remember that night too, was you not surfing myspace at the time and not keeping an eye on the FCAs like a good supervisor should groundhogbhx...?

groundhogbhx
14th Jun 2009, 21:00
Not at all, I was trying to get all the paperwork done and juggle the morning allocations around so that those despatchers that had 2 flights going out together were on stands next to each other:ok:

Dropline
15th Jun 2009, 08:09
Why on earth would you allow a dispatcher to do 2 flights at once!!! Surely that is just asking for trouble? Why not delay one flight until a dispatcher is available? This would have highlighted the problem of insufficent staff and more importantly, allowed both flights to depart SAFELY?

tigger2k8
15th Jun 2009, 08:31
1 dispatcher doing 2 flights isnt a new thing... the staffing levels at most airports means its necessary to do this... especially in the morning when all of the nightstoppers usually go out within an hour or 2.

same with ramp staff and PAX services, all of which have all done 2 flights at once at one stage

bejw2008
15th Jun 2009, 14:15
3 whole minutes worth of work then...

groundhogbhx
15th Jun 2009, 21:11
Never spent much time in ops then!! If you had you would have seen my collection of signs including the one that says "I don't look busy because I got it right first time!":ok:

bejw2008
23rd Jun 2009, 00:03
Looks like more heads to roll, the 3 ops supervisors are getting the chop along with the Ramp supervisors all in the name of progress, I tell you this new CEO is a fool, but Im sure the union is going to stand firm just like they have with our pay raise, here is an idea for all the staff at Swissport, if you want more money in your pocket at the end of the month, canx your membership, that will put an extra £10 in your wallet...

undiemole
23rd Jun 2009, 07:12
A lot of the personnel changes are "customer led" , as Swissport's biggest customer at BHX is demanding an improved service :bored:

legalize
23rd Jun 2009, 12:13
Not sure about the 'improved service' More like a 'free' service...:ooh:

bejw2008
23rd Jun 2009, 18:22
Well were far from free, in fact we pay them for the pleasure...

undiemole
1st Jul 2009, 12:28
Looks like Swissport are after Airside duty managers, any takers :confused:

Welcome to Swissport UK - From landing to take-off: We care! (http://www.swissportuk.com/airside_shift_manager_birmingham.php)

groundhogbhx
1st Jul 2009, 21:54
Replacing the Ramp Sups and Ops Sups, a step back 7 years. It was hard work when there was only one airline and impossible when there was two, why do they think it will work now:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Just seems to be way to cut staff when they are having trouble coping with the numbers they have got and a great way off letting staff get away with murder, whoever gets the job will only know half of it and the others will milk it.

PRLB
2nd Jul 2009, 07:47
I wonder if its to do with them losing a airline preparing for that so they are cutting numbers now and not then,I hear a certain airline in T2 have got alot to do with what swissport are doing now...

legalize
2nd Jul 2009, 12:55
Rumour has it these positions were offered to certain people behind closed doors in exchange for calling off the pending strike action :=:=

stupot7783
2nd Jul 2009, 18:14
I hope the salary matches the work load!

legalize
2nd Jul 2009, 22:37
Hear it's £26,000 p/a

groundhogbhx
3rd Jul 2009, 20:56
I was told £23k

exaviation
4th Jul 2009, 10:10
saving money...it's the way of the world, as long as it is not seen as a way for the staff having to cut corners, as they try to ''get the job done''
same old..same old.
The boys in red on the ramp..best of luck, all pax services no running to the gate...oneday maybe things will come good.

legalize
6th Jul 2009, 22:12
Apprently ramp workers have been asked to cover the allocator positions once they are redundant for a team leaders wage!!

Also hear that 'swines' are on the loose!!!!:eek::eek:

number1delta
6th Jul 2009, 22:17
IM BACK!!!!:ugh::ugh:

bejw2008
8th Jul 2009, 21:43
And....? What you going to blame onto somebody else this time, if your going to start posting like you dieg last time but not have the balls to show your face at swissport i suggest you 'go back to where you came from' because 'we do things different over here'

number1delta
10th Jul 2009, 01:16
Bejw2008

From what I hear you don't do anything different. Same old cowboys running the same cowboy operation..
For your info I was begged to come back into Dispatch by the AOM manager, he even sent out my contract. I wouldnt lower myself and come back to that joke you call a 'Handling Agent':ok::ok:

bejw2008
11th Jul 2009, 01:54
So whats with the Im back, KP nuts anybody? (Ps there is a clue there)

number1delta
11th Jul 2009, 15:05
I'm back, but to better myself...Not to join a company that is sinking rapidly day by day.

bejw2008
11th Jul 2009, 15:41
Your going to better yourself on the Prune? You need to get out some more.

legalize
12th Jul 2009, 22:57
And i have just worked out who you are bejw2

How about changing your age to your correct age:ok:

bejw2008
13th Jul 2009, 06:31
And whom might that be then? Lima numbers on a portcards to....

legalize
13th Jul 2009, 22:58
'Lima' Is that what you class yoursef as:ugh:

bejw2008
14th Jul 2009, 15:09
Well I would love to state what I class you as but I cant due to small children might read it.

legalize
24th Jul 2009, 21:47
What did the swissport staff make of the latest memo from management?:ugh:

LGWSTAR
25th Jul 2009, 01:23
care to enlighten us?

BHXvine
25th Jul 2009, 18:34
Well my request for 'enlightenment' since last night hasn't been entertained yet! :confused:

PRLB
26th Jul 2009, 09:47
I have been told the memo is about swissport getting the Thomson contract as if they will get em must be a joke ....

Sam1664
26th Jul 2009, 22:09
At what station is that ment to be at? :confused:

legalize
26th Jul 2009, 23:08
It's a national agreemant.

Sam1664
27th Jul 2009, 00:22
Oh right! That one can't be too true then!

dionysius
30th Jul 2009, 09:15
Legalize, we are still waiting on you "enlightening" us as to the contents of the Swissport memo.:ok:

bejw2008
2nd Aug 2009, 04:28
were all still waiting legalize........

legalize
3rd Aug 2009, 01:39
Sorry for the delay..The memo was advising staff not to be late for work..Are you enlightened..:ok:

PRLB
3rd Aug 2009, 16:45
From what I was told today after the shocking goings on at STN over the weekend the CEO has been sent for abandon ship!!!!!!!. If FR are annoyed I wonder if the pull the contract swp will be history in uk.

JamesKirk
4th Aug 2009, 15:58
From what I was told today after the shocking goings on at STN over the weekend the CEO has been sent for abandon ship!!!!!!!. If FR are annoyed I wonder if the pull the contract swp will be history in uk.

PRLB, Pray tell what went on then??:hmm:

legalize
5th Aug 2009, 23:58
Have a look at :

The Dunmow Broadcast - Ryanair apologises over delays fiasco at Stansted Airport (http://www.dunmow-broadcast.co.uk/content/dunmow/news/story.aspx?brand=SAFOnline&category=NewsDunmow&tBrand=HertsCambsOnline&tCategory=newslatestDUN&itemid=WEED03%20Aug%202009%2014%3A57%3A10%3A797)

Subject 117
6th Aug 2009, 12:02
It was in the national papers

Hundreds of passengers - including David Dimbleby - miss flight after Ryanair opens just 11 check-in desks for 255 flights | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1203750/Hundreds-passengers--including-David-Dimbleby--miss-flight-Ryanair-opens-just-11-check-desks-255-flights.html)

spirit of the age
6th Aug 2009, 15:51
A very similar scenario occured just before Servisair gave Ryanair the boot a few years ago.Have things come full circle????????

groundhogbhx
6th Aug 2009, 21:29
Swissport at STN is run as 2 separate companies, FR and everything else. So the loss of the FR contract would just mean that that business would shut down and those staff members made redundant or tupe'd over to whoever takes the contract on. From the beginning it was known that FR could take their ball and play with someone else so things were put in place to make sure it didn't take the entire station with it.

ReadyToGo
6th Aug 2009, 23:49
I have heard... (and I emphasise that this is second hand info... though from a source I trust), that British Airways are looking for a new handling agent at NCL, and that the decision will be made early/mid september

Now, personally. I am not all that convinced. Its probably just typical scare tactics, or a simple case of the fact that a contract is up has become knowledge, and everyone is speculating (when reality they will resign). But with 3 handling agents at NCL, its a market for airlines, and BA will know that, and simple supply and demand will mean that Servisair, Gate and Swissport will be all making crazy bids on this one!

RTG!

Capt Wannabe
7th Aug 2009, 06:23
Swissport at STN is run as 2 separate companies

Not any more :eek:

Subject 117
7th Aug 2009, 10:00
Who the hell would take Ryanair on at Stansted? Anyone else would be mad to do it.

Seems to me that Swissport are deep in it and need to recruit, fast!

groundhogbhx
7th Aug 2009, 21:44
So which plank removed the 'get out of jail free' card then? Looks like someone saw a chance to save a little bit of money without knowing why it was set up that way in the first place and is about to pay the price:ugh::ugh::ugh:

nclops
8th Aug 2009, 22:28
I have heard... (and I emphasise that this is second hand info... though from a source I trust), that British Airways are looking for a new handling agent at NCL, and that the decision will be made early/mid september

Load of rubbish. The NCL-LHR is in the top 10 routes for BA in the punctuallity stakes. Yet another unfounded rumour started by the employees of another handling agent in NCL who im not going to name!

ReadyToGo
9th Aug 2009, 13:24
Thanks for clearing that up nclops!

As I said, it was second hand info when I got it, from someone who still works at NCL. Apparently its a common story doing the rounds there. But from my experience NCL is built on rumour.

Only thing that I thought, is that with three handling agents at the airport, BA (or any airline) is in a pretty good position to get a decent contract from someone when it comes to renewal time. Punctuality may become much less of an issue if they can get a cheap deal from someone else (including heavy fines for delays!).

I actually fear for the longer established handling agents such as swissport and servisair.

Rtg!

legalize
9th Aug 2009, 15:47
I hear that the ballott papers have been sent out to all swissport bases. I think this could be the final nail in the coffin for the new MD:mad:

legalize
17th Aug 2009, 21:07
Someones for the chop..:}:}

groundhogbhx
21st Aug 2009, 19:55
Was told today that the BHX Ramp Manager, or what ever he is called nowadays has handed in his notice. Anyone from swissport to confirm it??

tickerdboo
22nd Aug 2009, 12:34
The memo was handed out last thursday, he is off to work at LPA for Gate aviation, or so Im told

legalize
23rd Aug 2009, 18:21
I told you..:ok:
Once again my sources are relible

bejw2008
4th Sep 2009, 09:18
And now the station manager has quit, what with the Ramp manager quiting last week its starting to look like rats deserting a sinking ship, would the last manager in admin please remember to turn off the lights when they leave...

legalize
5th Sep 2009, 12:18
The operations director IB has also quit..They have all left to take up positions at anothe HA. Close the GATE on your way out please..:ok:

OPS1978
5th Sep 2009, 18:10
is it the case of as one GATE closes another GATE opens.....

bejw2008
5th Sep 2009, 19:48
I think its more of a case of that Bean counter of a CEO we have, but then again have you seen 'The Vision' que the buzz words... what a joke so i guess its onto station manager number ?? Seem to have lost count..

OPS1978
6th Sep 2009, 10:25
Manchester station manager gone aswell maybe they are all escaping before the ship sinks below the waves!!!

tickerdboo
6th Sep 2009, 18:07
When did she go? I thought that Manchester was doing alright, dose make you think though, who is going to steer the ship now?

Hounddog1
7th Sep 2009, 08:02
The Titanic springs to mind .....

OPS1978
9th Sep 2009, 08:18
I have been told by a contact that TCX are moving to Swissport at BHX.

dionysius
10th Sep 2009, 08:04
WOW, Swissport will be major handling agent at BHX taking on TOM and TCX :ugh:;):}

Oh my, is that a flying pig :E

number1delta
25th Sep 2009, 23:24
Looks like TOM will be joining SPT very soon. My father is an ex-captain for TOM and still gets consulted on certain issues. According to him the deal with SPT is getting very close to being signed.

dionysius
26th Sep 2009, 09:24
If this is the case some stations would require major reorganisation, BHX is a prime example. SPT are pushed to deliver the service at present so a major charter customer buisness addition would in my humble opinion be unworkable, they would have to lose Flybe to cope.:confused:

PARIS2BERLIN
26th Sep 2009, 10:53
numberonedelta.

Unless your Dad was Management for TOM, I know that the company don't contact ex crew members on issues!
I don't know who you are, but it seems like you're pretending to be someone else......
So come on, who are you and who's your Daddy?!

GRIZZLER
26th Sep 2009, 16:40
i would not sign swissport up to look after my cat......if thomson sign for swissport to handle them,they should sack the bloke that puts his name on the paper.

most nights at STN when the thomson lands,the pilot has lost the will to live by the time chocks and steps turn up.

come on thomson see the light....sign with a real handling agent like SERVISAIR......they where never that bad on there worst day.

spirit of the age
26th Sep 2009, 20:48
come on thomson see the light....sign with a real handling agent like SERVISAIR......they where never that bad on there worst day.

Hmmmmmm.....is that the same servisair that did'nt know how to put steps onto a freighter correctly recently?
is this the same servisair that repeatedly miss loads the aegean?

is this the same servisair that has just lost the aurigney contract?

I think most airlines know just how bad servisair CAN be on their worst day!!!!

GRIZZLER
26th Sep 2009, 21:06
i am not saying that servisar get it right all the time........a swissport guy told me only yesterday that they are looking to get rid of 140 men from STN....what will the service be like then....i dont think it will be better.

lets get a few ryanair pilots on here telling us how long they sit on the taxiway waiting for some ramp bods to turn up with chocks and steps in the evenings.

as for the aurigney contract it's most likely that will be done on the cheap yet again....which brings us back to....you get what you pay for.

and as for the wrong steps on the cargo plane....are you sure it was not the wrong plane on the steps.
:confused:

groundhogbhx
26th Sep 2009, 21:12
Thomsom moving??? Contract isn't up until some time next spring so even if they do move it won't be anytime soon. Be interesting to see the results of the Servisair vs Swissport Challenge that TOM have been running this summer:ok:

legalize
27th Sep 2009, 16:37
All I will say on this is, don't be to suprised when TOM announce they have changed HA agent. The only holdback at the moment for both parties is the pending SPT industrial action.
Also TOM do not want to annouce to early as they know that the already poor performance from servisair will get even poorer. They do not want to drop to the bottom of the priority list when multiple a/c land.

SoStanstedFuel
27th Sep 2009, 18:23
most nights at STN when the thomson lands,the pilot has lost the will to live by the time chocks and steps turn up

Reminds me somewhat of the Maxjet handling saga. Who (mis)handled them?

sat1
27th Sep 2009, 19:17
most nights at STN when the thomson lands,the pilot has lost the will to live by the time chocks and steps turn up

With Swissport/Thomson stats running at 97% swissport must be doing something right.

spirit of the age
27th Sep 2009, 19:27
dearest grizzler,you appear to be suffering a severe case of back pedaling.First you talk about servisair not being as bad as.......then you admit that they dont always get it right.Then you realise you've messed up with thomson and start having a pop about ryanair,and as for the wrong plane on the steps..............is this indicative of the calibre of staff left at servisair.Oh dear,oh dear,oh dear.

BHXvine
27th Sep 2009, 21:47
Agreed Groundhog, I heard the very same from a very reliable source re the contract tender yesterday, having said that a lot of people at Swissport including departmental managers are convinced the pen has been dipped into the inkwell ready to sign on the dotted line.....amazing!

GRIZZLER
28th Sep 2009, 07:40
in all the time servisair did the thomson at STN i cant remember the bags leaving the plane 1 hour and 6 mins after it had landed....so i must say swissport have that record.....what happend to the forty min bag time.

if the pen is poised to sign contracts.....then he must have his guide dog tied up outside.

and is it true that swissport look like loosing £2.5 million....so they will be cutting back on there stationary and uniform costs,all overtime to be paid at flat rate...possible reduction in salary and pay towards car parking or you can use the bus.......and save more money by putting turkish cargo up the baggage belt maybe....whoops.....if this was somebody they would be on life support

and please come up with something better than wrong steps....at least it got some!!!!!!!! maybe even the agnis was on and chocks waiting.

mishandled maxjet....which day was that then.

and as for back pedaling....no....but maybe a bit of free wheeling.

groundhogbhx
28th Sep 2009, 08:40
Good morning Mr Vine, I believe the same was said about US Airways and KLM/Air France. The first came to Servisair and the later almost followed. It would be nice to know what poor performance Legalize is eluding to, things don't always go to plan (especially with some of the tech problems TOM have had lately) but no one from the airline has passed on any problems to us that would indicate any cause for concern. I will check the stats when I get time but I would seriously doubt that OTP from a station point of view is anything other than good (it would be excellent but none of us are perfect:ok:).

OPS1978
28th Sep 2009, 14:58
Swissport Get TOM more like Portsmouth to win the premership just cant see it happening.... Must admit Servisair far better company than swissport. I hear the new station manager at BHX for swissport knows as much about aviation than dennis bergkamp does er that will be nothing stick to playing with your trains!!!!.

SoStanstedFuel
28th Sep 2009, 18:25
mishandled maxjet....which day was that then

Sorry, I should have been clearer. This only happened on weekdays and weekends.

GRIZZLER
28th Sep 2009, 18:52
you must tell me more, i did quite a few turnrounds myself on maxjet and dont recall having to wright any reports out to why they went wrong????

like i said what day did it happen,i must have been off.

i should think problems incurred where due to the aircraft being a flying scrapyards....nothing to do with the handling agent.

mickey71
29th Sep 2009, 04:20
ref maxjet

please elaborate on mishandled????? i am fully aware of what mishandled means but in the case of this contract please come forward and say more!

how about we start at the changes that would be made during the course of the day, the airplane would be loaded only for it to be changed onto another aircraft and then onto another completely aircraft,i dont call that mishandled!

what about the endless towing carried out,there was more movement on the ground with towing than movement from the aircraft being in the air!
the aircraft was often towed onto stand for it only to go tech and then be towed back, an aircraft change would be made and no one would no that the change that was being made was also onto a tech aircraft!

theres a start,i would not say mishandled at all,the handling agent only carried out that was asked of them,but as always when it goes wrong the blame is thrown at the handling agent!

i have seen a few people over the years quick to blame because they have not had the broad shoulders to accept responsibilty themselves for their own decisions and judgements partly because they have been in the business 5 mins!and never had a full working and understanding of all aspects of airline ground handling!

you obviously no more than enough so please come forward with some more,be interesting to hear!

groundhogbhx
29th Sep 2009, 08:57
Legalize, I thought you of all people would have heard. At the end of last week all I was hearing from Swissport staff was about their new Station Manager who starts in 2 weeks, apparently ex Railtrack/Network Rail:eek:

number1delta
29th Sep 2009, 19:52
Groundhogbhx,

Network Rail....At least he will already be used to delays, cancellations and providing a crappy service to customers!! He will feel right at home at Swissport :ok::ok:

BHXvine
29th Sep 2009, 20:30
I'd heard it was Virgin Trains...probably more appropriate as things are generally 'Virgin' on the ridiculous! :ok: Whichever, at least they can now blame the wrong kind of snow/leaves on the taxiway *delete as applicable - for any delays!!

legalize
6th Oct 2009, 00:07
Seems like Aviance have also entered the race to gain the TOM contract. Once TOM leave Circusair i think circusair will shut the base. Looks like a change of uniform once again for a lot of the circusair staff.

dionysius
6th Oct 2009, 07:33
Legalize, your posts seem designed to "wind" people up, however in these uncertain times were people are being made redundant perhaps a little thought before you engage brain in future :ok:

groundhogbhx
6th Oct 2009, 09:31
Legalize

Please let us know what you are on because I'd like to try some!!!!!!

Why are you so convinced that TOM are going to leave Servsiair and that Servisair will shut up shop? And what is this comment about changing uniforms again all about? Most staff there have never worked for another handling agent. Although the winter will be quieter than would have been liked, thanks to Ryanair playing games with the airport and the subsequent return to winter lay off's which haven't been seen for a few years, next summer looks to be nice and busy:ok:

DAVYDAY
8th Oct 2009, 16:25
Servisair And Aviance Have Been Exchanging Stations In The Uk And Eire Over The Last Year...BHX May Well Be Next ..

It Is Known That 17 Stations Will Change Hands Over The Next Year..have A Look At Stations ,Cardiff.example.

This Maybe Good News And I`m Sure The Staff Will Be Protected.

undiemole
8th Oct 2009, 16:40
DAVYDAY It Is Known That 17 Stations Will Change Hands Over The Next Year.

Please clarify your statement, were is this known ? its the first I have heard of GHA's exchanging stations, I seriously doubt that Servisair would pull out of such a "prime" location as BHX, and I am sure if this TOM to Swissport rumour is true that Servisair would probaby gain MON, as Swissport are in serious danger of loosing that contract.

By the way, what is the situation with the planned industrial action by Swissport as it seems to have gone quiet.:confused:

DAVYDAY
8th Oct 2009, 17:43
There are many ways to get info the best is from the airline handling agents direct. sorry but will never disclose.

some stations and instances are easy to check
Cardiff -SA OUT- AVI take business
GLA (Freight ) AVI/Plane Out SA IN.
LBA
ABZ
BFS
DUB

there are many changes planned and starting to take shape.
The new CEO`s have put a plan of action and its rolling.:ugh:

Various airlines are not happy with the move ie,flybe as they changed all stations from SA only to find AVI pull out and hand over contract to SA.

Have a good look around and see what has and is happening.
they are carving up the stations around the country.
people are talking about it at all levels and info HAS came out.

SP planned industrial action is on hold as talks taking place with Senior management,due to 1 Director & 2 senior managers getting an early departure from SP.
I think this will get resolved.;)

Alan Tracey
8th Oct 2009, 21:34
Wot happened in BFS ??

Who handle's at 17 UK stations??

spirit of the age
8th Oct 2009, 22:17
which way will stansted go? Aviance or Servisair?

undiemole
9th Oct 2009, 07:18
Oh come on guys don't be so gullible, after all this is a "rumour" network, the aviation equivalent of the Sun ;)

Don't believe everything you see posted on here :ok:

legalize
9th Oct 2009, 23:07
Union Members have decided to put the industrial action on hold. Due to TOM being so close to signing they do not want to spoil that deal. Once they have TOM next years pay deal is only months away so company has promised to review the deal.

dionysius
10th Oct 2009, 08:37
Due to TOM being so close to signing they do not want to spoil that deal.

Ah that old chesnut ;) Sounds like Swissport Management using the promise of a major contract to stall/delay the industrial action until the end of the summer period then they can announce that "unfortunately they were narrowly undercut in their bid for the Thomson contract " :confused:

And like it has been previously stated on here before if they do gain the Thomson contract there is a strong possibility that they will loose the Monarch contract.

GRIZZLER
10th Oct 2009, 11:29
its doing the rounds at STN that the swissport boys have been sold down the river....new shift rosta....7 on 2off...8 on 2off...you will take lue days when you are told you can take them....job share...no holidays to be taken in the summer months....a scurge if you dont come in and work for flat rate overtime on your days off......and told certain days you will be on standby to come in.......or else.........and yes i know there's people that will say...well at least you have a job........well only just.

i suppose its one way of getting round not paying redundancy....give them a crap rosta and they will just leave....and get nothing.

Bring back slavery

bazzab68
10th Oct 2009, 18:57
I see things are looking up at Swissport then.. lol:)

BHXvine
11th Oct 2009, 01:50
Ah Grizzler, this is the roster that was supposedly 'under consultation'?...next thing you know it's yet another change steamrollered through! Swissport seem to take great delight in infuriating their workforce of late. And if anyone speaks against it or sticks up for themselves then they 'have an attitude problem'! Fair enough, management have the right to manage, but there's managing, and pure and simple dictatorship!

50Right
12th Oct 2009, 18:05
The latest memo going around which is about 4 pages long with no ones name on it explains that they want us to do 3 types of shift pattern.
Busy periods-6 on 2 off.(summer etc)
shoulder periods-5 on 2 off.
winter periods-4 on 3 off.

50Right
14th Oct 2009, 22:12
Latest one is that our new station manager colonel clive (ex army apparentley) and the Unions meet tommorow.
The HR1 form has gone in and we are all awaiting the second letter.

bejw2008
15th Oct 2009, 08:55
Here comes the next round of chops at BHX, swissport to make another round of lay offs, all staff at risk, there is a letter in the post...

groundhogbhx
16th Oct 2009, 19:59
Spoke to some of the ramp today who were seriously thinking about moving on. Not only are they looking to cut staff even more the new SM thinks they can save money on deicing by getting the aircraft to run their engines for an hour before departure, like they do with diesel trains, and the new RM (ex LDV Vans apparently) thinks they can save money on GPU's at night by running the engines all night:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: I hope these people have a vertical learning curve for the sake of everyone still working there.:(

boredcounter
16th Oct 2009, 20:48
You must be having a laugh? Surely? please say you are! Good luck Swissport

groundhogbhx
16th Oct 2009, 20:59
No. That is for real, these people honestly don't have a clue about running the place. They may have been great in their previous jobs (but then why aren't they still there), but don't have a clue when it comes to running a Handling Agent. Last time I spoke to the new CEO he said he was going to strengthen the management team, wonder when he is going to start:confused:

groundhogbhx
16th Oct 2009, 21:10
The results of the summer competition between Thomsons handling agents is out. Group 1 won by Servisair Manchester, Group 2 won by Servisair Birmingham, apparently no one won in Group 3. The thing that really stood out was that Swissport were bottom of all three groups, and a chat with someone who should know revealed that there is no national contract being discussed because all bases are treated individually. Maybe the rumour of the national contract was just a carrot to try and stop strike action, but looking a Gatwicks handling delays for the summer I think it would need more than a carrot.

50Right
17th Oct 2009, 08:55
LMAO about the de-icing.

Capt Wannabe
17th Oct 2009, 10:03
Groundhog - I suspect someone has 'mis-informed' you. Don't believe everything you're told :ugh:

BHXvine
17th Oct 2009, 14:25
The new management team at Swissport BHX appear to be 'bean counters', purely and simply. And the savage changes and cutbacks they are proposing are just a vindictive, spiteful way of raising funds for the pay rise owed to the staff as part of the pay deal that wasn't honoured should the dispute go to court. You can bet your bottom dollar that the former won't be losing any sleep or salary through these cuts though!

groundhogbhx
17th Oct 2009, 20:51
My info came from someone I have known and worked with for many years and has always given straight answers even if they are not what you want to hear. They have heard all the rumours and finds them funny because the are so far off the mark, even the station audit last week found no deficiencies with our operation, and lets face it Swissport haven't done themselves any favours during the inter-station competition. Anyone from LGW want to share their GH delay figures from the results sheet??

Trash_Hauler
18th Oct 2009, 14:48
Seems to me that Swissport as a whole is on life support... Mabey it's just time to pull the plug. Let their contracts fall where they may. Those Swissport staff taht are good enough will most likely follow those contracts and as for the rest... perhaps it's as good a time as any to separate the wheat from the chaff!

GRIZZLER
19th Oct 2009, 13:04
i think someone has hit the life support switch already...last night the first choice pulled on stand at STN around 00.18 and there was no sign of life for 10 mins...then the first set of steps made an appearance.....the hold doors opend after 20mins...and no bags had been taken off after 35 mins.....what will this service be like after they have laid men off?????????.:mad:

50Right
21st Oct 2009, 10:38
up to 98 people to lose there jobs.this will be selected on
Sickness/attendance
disciplinarys
saftey
performance
will find out if you are out of a job by this sunday.:ouch:

legalize
23rd Oct 2009, 11:50
Pax waited 1hr 50 mins for the bags of PK yesterday. Apparently no one realised these was no maindeck driver on shift until a/c rolled onto stand. A T/L was them called in from home to operate maindeck..:ugh::ugh:

dionysius
24th Oct 2009, 10:40
Surely the rest of the ramp team must have had an inkling that no MBTL driver around, sounds to me like a bit of mischief and just plain akwardness by some of the ramp staff against management :ugh::rolleyes:

Captain Caveman
24th Oct 2009, 17:57
Regualr offload delays here in BHX for them 1hour 50mins on a ZB week before last. BHX TDM went to arrivals in the end to deal with the flack as no one from Swissport around!:{

TOWTEAMBASE
24th Oct 2009, 18:33
But do you know the biggest joke out of all this (not saying losing your jobs is a joke by the way s/port), but if s/port shave off a few quid per tunround....they will STILL win contracts at the expensive of other agents........delays or not. Service means NOTHING in this climate im afraid !!!!!!!!!!!

50Right
25th Oct 2009, 08:28
Well todays the day when we will find out how many people are going to get the letters.
Knowing swissport stansted this will not be done properly like last year.I wonder who is going to hand the letters out? I doubt it will be the station manager as he doesn't work weekends.:ugh:

STN Ramp Rat
27th Oct 2009, 17:46
its all gone very quiet ..... any news?

GRIZZLER
27th Oct 2009, 18:46
Maybe every one has gone!!!!!!!:{ last one out switch off the lights.

legalize
27th Oct 2009, 21:22
Letters at BHX were handed out this week. Guess what?? The new station manager has gone on leave!!!:mad::mad:

legalize
2nd Nov 2009, 14:56
I have been told that 1-2-1 consultation meetings started this week. Only people not affected by restructure are management as usual.

legalize
10th Nov 2009, 13:19
Gone very quiet in here..Have all the ppruners from Swissport been laid off!!:eek::eek:

GRIZZLER
10th Nov 2009, 14:42
I did hear that the Loch Ness monster made a visit to STN looking for a swissport loader.........but i dont think they exist.
:{

TOWTEAMBASE
10th Nov 2009, 19:52
anyone know anything about tom giving 90 days notice to s/port at STN ??? come on sat1, whats the goss

GRIZZLER
11th Nov 2009, 12:55
i think that's about 89 days to many??????

undiemole
25th Nov 2009, 19:07
I appreciate that its that time of year again when contracts are due for renewal and rumours are rife, however, there is a very strong rumour circulating in the BHX bazaars that Swissport will be loosing a major contract in the new year, has anyone else heard this yet ??:confused:

groundhogbhx
25th Nov 2009, 20:23
Yes, last week. But enquiries this week haven't produced any confirmation:(

Sam1664
26th Nov 2009, 14:09
Anyone know what airline this is ment to be about, and what handling agent they will be going too?? :confused:

groundhogbhx
26th Nov 2009, 21:02
Yes, but then I would have to shoot you:ok:

legalize
28th Nov 2009, 23:00
Groundhogbhx

Let me guess, you bumped into the Swissport CEO who you know really well and he gave you this really important information..:confused::confused:

groundhogbhx
29th Nov 2009, 19:44
Legalize, spoke to the man a few times and met him once, so no I don't know him really well. Info didn't come from Swissport but from a couple of other sources who I have no reason to doubt. But, as with all these things, it will only be certain when the change over happens, which is February according to the source who gave a date:ok:

legalize
30th Nov 2009, 01:31
By you mentioning February has let the cat out the bag. For about the 30th time on PPrune the Monarch leaving SPT rumour has resurfaced. All Because a complete 'nobody' who works for Circusair reckons he was told by a monarch captain that they would be leaving SPT for teh Circus in February. As this forum has pointed out many times before, why the hell would comercial directors tell captains of there decisions..Just doesnt make sense.

Sounds like wishful thinking by Circusair staff who are desperate for work as they have gotten wind of what is forthcoming at the Circus!!:{:{

Dropline
30th Nov 2009, 19:58
And what would that be?

number1delta
30th Nov 2009, 19:58
Legalize

As far as I know there are probably 3-4 people at the whole of BHX who know about the shock Servisair announcement that wil be coming to theoir staff soon. If you are on about the same thing then you must have some very good contacts within servisair higher management..:oh::oh:

Dropline
30th Nov 2009, 20:00
Are you going to share your secret with the rest of us?

groundhogbhx
30th Nov 2009, 21:00
Legalize, who mentioned anything about Captains or specific airlines??? As I said before I have no reason to doubt that the information from my sources was accurate at the time it was given, but until the deal is signed sealed and delivered anything can, and probably will, happen. One of the less savoury features of modern business is that you can spend a long time reaching agreement on a deal for the other side to walk away the day they are due to sign:mad:

number1delta please enlighten us about this shock announcement, by the way who are you pretending to be this time?

number1delta
30th Nov 2009, 22:32
"You need people like me. So you can point your finger and say that's the bad guy.":(:(

dionysius
1st Dec 2009, 11:04
Number1delta , this "shock announcement" that is going to be made to Servisair staff at BHX, would it happen to be this:

Looks like TOM will be joining SPT very soon. My father is an ex-captain for TOM and still gets consulted on certain issues. According to him the deal with SPT is getting very close to being signed.

You posted the above recently on this very thread :rolleyes:

50Right
1st Dec 2009, 11:33
Strange goings on today at STN.serviceair practing on loading/unloading a FR plane??
Could they be going back to the old days of serviceair!!!

GRIZZLER
1st Dec 2009, 13:18
It does seem a bit strange that Thomson want to get rid of Servisair at BHX as it was only november this year that MAN and BHX came out with top awards for delivering service excellance.....with Thomson being more than pleased with their handling........if you can believe whats on the servisair web page that is.

dionysius
3rd Dec 2009, 09:19
Looks like Servisair have nothing to worry about, quite the reverse, maybe Swissport should start to worry :confused:
Servisair, the UK’s leading ground handling provider, is delighted to announce that it has exchanged contracts with Go-Ahead plc to acquire their Regional ground handling business at 11 airports in the UK.

The Agreement encompasses Aviance ground handling operations at Aberdeen, Belfast City, Belfast International, Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, London Luton, London Stansted, Manchester and Southampton Airports

:ok:

GRIZZLER
3rd Dec 2009, 11:41
maybe it could soon be servianceport....tis the season to be jolly....ho ho ho.

Sam1664
3rd Dec 2009, 11:51
Heard another rumor that Monarch had agreed contracts with Aviance just before the annoucement of Servisair buying Aviance?? If this is true Monarch now to Servisair?? :confused:

groundhogbhx
3rd Dec 2009, 20:58
That would appear to be correct, providing the contract was signed, as all existing aviance contracts would move over. The only question now is does another handling agent move in to fill the gap. Menzies any one???

42psi
3rd Dec 2009, 21:31
Heard another rumor that Monarch had agreed contracts with Aviance just before the annoucement of Servisair buying Aviance?? If this is true Monarch now to Servisair??

Not always ... most contracts (in my experience) have a clause allowing an airline to cancel without penalty should ownership of the handling agent change.

OPS1978
3rd Dec 2009, 22:27
I wonder if there is room for a 3rd handling company now that servisair have bought aviance?.

legalize
4th Dec 2009, 00:49
OPS1978

Would be goof if a 3rd habdling agent came in. Gate Aviation have pulled out of Ground Handling altogether and have stuck with their catering section only. I would say menzies would be the favorites.

Maybe we could bring back Aviation Support Services!!:=:=

number1delta
4th Dec 2009, 01:36
I told you the annoucement was coming. I couldnt give more info a few days ago as my contact was only 1 out of 3 people at servisair bhx who knew about this announcement. If i spilt the beans them he may have got into trouble so I decided against it. :oh:

call100
4th Dec 2009, 09:06
Don't forget there is already another HA at BHX that is not working to it's full capability ASIG certainly have the potential to expand.

groundhogbhx
5th Dec 2009, 22:03
number1delta, it was actually 4 people who knew so you can't even get that right. I will give you a brownie point if you can pm me with all their names.

number1delta
5th Dec 2009, 22:54
Groundhogbhx,

How about I give you the name of 1 person who did not know..YOU!!!:E:E

Do you really think I would give up the name of a contact who can supply me with vital information regarding Servisair even before there own staff are made aware.:=:=

Bagmanlgw
6th Dec 2009, 00:15
Have been following this thread since the start

Compolsive reading - Much better than Eastenders / Coranation street / Emerdale etc !!!!!!!

Look forward to my daily viewing of this thread

Thanks for all the contributions !!! Keep it up

Bagmanlgw

groundhogbhx
6th Dec 2009, 23:02
number1delta

You are quite right in stating that I was not aware of what was happening, although there were plenty of rumours going around that weren't far off the mark (the word merger was used instead of acquisition). You also didn't read my post properly, which doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I asked you to name the FOUR people at BHX who knew about it, not just the one with a loose tongue. I know who they are and have known all of them since I first started with Servisair in '95. So are you going to answer the question or do you not know nearly as much as you think you do???

number1delta
7th Dec 2009, 20:43
Groundhog

You obviously didnt read my post! Why would I give the names of my contacts away?? Especially to someone who changes handling agents at the drop of a hat..:ok::ok:

groundhogbhx
7th Dec 2009, 21:44
As I expected you were talking rubbish, you don't really know anyone who knew what was going on and you most certainly don't know me anywhere near as well as you think you do, you just like to spout drivel and try and make yourself look important as you always do:ok:

number1delta
7th Dec 2009, 23:11
Not Important. When I was at Groundstar/Swissport I became King of the castle in a very short space of time. And you know it..:p

undiemole
8th Dec 2009, 08:23
The one thing that concerns me is that why a senior manager at Servisair BHX was discussing a commercially sensitive subject with an apparent "nobody" when even the Servisair Ops Manager did not know of the impending takeover :confused:

number1delta
11th Dec 2009, 13:54
There is a very strong rumour that a few airlines will be leaving Servisair due to not being happy with being handled by Circusair. However, there is also a rumour, though not as strong, that they may gain 1 airline. Will update as soon as I have some more solid information.

PRLB
11th Dec 2009, 14:55
Number one delta if this is the case some airlines not wanting to be handled by servisair do you think they would go to swissport or maybe a 3rd handling company may go into bhx?.

number1delta
13th Dec 2009, 17:25
I think there will be a 3rd HA coming in. BHX has already been visited by teh new boys 'Storm Aviation'. They already have a license to operate as they have an engineering base at BHX. There CEO who is also the ex-Swissport CEO has been bought in to start up the Ground Handling section. As he has contacts with BHX and also good relationships with AIrline sat BHX I dont think it will take them long to establish themselves at BHX.

JamesKirk
13th Dec 2009, 21:49
Whilst we bow down to number1delta's membership of the "circle of trust" regarding matters at BHX, i must beg to differ regarding the inclusion of Storm Aviation into the hat of potential 3rd H/A's, whilst i personally believe that there is not enough work at BHX to warrent a 3rd H/A and that the management of BIA realise that, the fact that they have a number of underpier offices still empty as well as the potential of losing other rental revenue with the avisair merger may however result in a position being offered at BHX.
Storm however are Engineering & Pilot support services only and that is a long way off being a recognised H/A admittedly ND is now Chief Exec & has links with Aviapartner in Belgium (but of course you knew that did'nt you No1D) its a long way from starting a fully operational H/A at a major airport. maybe if Storm start at a smaller airport just as Gate did then in years they may have the chance to run with the "big boys" but i think thats a long way off yet.
As I said before I see it being just Swissport & Avisair for the next year with S/Port being the main winners of contracts for those airline (& i can think of at least 3) who dont want any S/air involvement in thier Operation.
But then again i am not in a priviliged position like Mr No1D;)

number1delta
13th Dec 2009, 23:27
"But then again i am not in a priviliged position like Mr No1D"

Well, what can I say..but

“Ignorance is not privileged by titular degrees”

JamesKirk
14th Dec 2009, 00:18
Notice you have not refuted what was said in the post, is that because you cant????

spirit of the age
14th Dec 2009, 18:49
Heard another rumor that Monarch had agreed contracts with Aviance just before the annoucement of Servisair buying Aviance?? If this is true Monarch now to Servisair?? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif..........Pure fantasy

legalize
14th Dec 2009, 23:40
JAMESKIRK

Totally agree with your post. The airport will let anyone come in as long as they are renting premises. Funnily, I saw ND a few days ago coming out of T2 arrivals. I still say bring back Aviation Support Sevices.:eek::eek:

PARIS2BERLIN
15th Dec 2009, 11:45
My word No1D you really are deluded!!
King of which castle exactly?!

What a plonker you are.

number1delta
15th Dec 2009, 21:19
When you’re getting kicked from behind, that means you’re in front.:ok::ok:

bejw2008
28th Dec 2009, 21:44
And when your posting crap it means your a ****.......

legalize
29th Dec 2009, 21:24
Bejw2008

At least i had the B***s to leave a sinking ship!!:mad::mad:

undiemole
30th Dec 2009, 18:26
Looks like Aviance/Servisair may possibly have 1 customer less if the bookies have an insider :

Next Airline to go bust?- without JAL Betting from Paddy Power (http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/current-affairs/next-airline-to-go-bust/-1697582.html)

:bored::confused:

legalize
31st Dec 2009, 20:36
29 days to go and counting....

Contracts will be changing hands like hot cakes. Big shock coming for the Circus i'm afraid..:oh::oh:

GRIZZLER
1st Jan 2010, 16:58
DONT TELL ME.....THEY ARE GOING TO GET THE THOMSONFLY CONTRACT BACK AT STN.....PLACE YOUR BETS NOW PLEASE.

THEN THAT WILL BE JUST ABOUT EVERY THING EXCEPT RYANAIR AND EASYJET.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
IT WILL BE LIKE THE GOOD OLD DAYS.

WELL NEARLY!!!