PDA

View Full Version : More Swissport Redundancies??

Pages : 1 [2]

sat1
1st Jan 2010, 19:18
Whoops!!! I thought it was january 1st not april 1st

GRIZZLER
1st Jan 2010, 21:06
Come on sat1 i thought you liked a gamble....Its in the cards.

sat1
1st Jan 2010, 21:16
first up...happy new year!!
changes are coming at STN this spring,however,you may not agree/want/like one or two of them.

GRIZZLER
2nd Jan 2010, 09:42
what are you leaving??????? not another wip round!!!

and a happy new year to you to.

sat1
2nd Jan 2010, 17:44
just remember..................you read it here first

legalize
2nd Jan 2010, 21:45
SN Brussles representatives have a 1 day audit booked at Swissport BHX for next week. My money is them to be the 1st airline to leave the Circus as they hated being handled by them and couldnt wait to leave.

dionysius
3rd Jan 2010, 09:10
Legalize, I thought that maybe being another year older that you might desist from your venomous spoutings against Servisair, but alas, I was wrong.

Please try to find something right with the world in that little corner of Swissport or Terminal control where you reside.

Happy new year :ok:

GRIZZLER
3rd Jan 2010, 13:36
strange how servisair came out on top with thomson last year at BHX...well thats what it said on there web page...so surly they cant be that bad.
:)

PRLB
3rd Jan 2010, 14:19
Any news if the 3rd handling agent will come into BHX when servisair/aviance join forces?.

GRIZZLER
3rd Jan 2010, 17:57
Why would they need one?...it's the same people doing the same work.

dionysius
4th Jan 2010, 07:26
Any news if the 3rd handling agent will come into BHX when servisair/aviance join forces?.

I doubt with the current economic climate that any Handling Agent would invest in a new outstation venture without sufficient guaranteed contracts to make it viable.:confused:

call100
4th Jan 2010, 12:11
The airport would like 3 handling agents...It makes it more competitive in the market place.
Not exactly conducive to quality, that seems to be the first thing to go, but, helps attract those cheap bus operations like FR.

JamesKirk
4th Jan 2010, 12:11
New Handling Agent At Bhx

Not nessesarily true, yes the same people will be in place however S/Air may not allow them to work to the same rules that aviance allowed, things were done for the airlines as a "sweetener" to ensure the airline reps were happy ( & lets face it keep the reps happy & that filters back to Head Office), from what i have heard S/Air management say is that unless the airline pays for it, they dont get it!!! Silly really when we are just talking about things that cost the H/A nothing or peanuts but keeps the contract sweet and everyone employed.

Some have said that a 3rd H/A will not come in unless there is the work to justify it, again true but a number of airlines have expressed displeasure with both S/Air & S/Port that combined would be enough for the initial outlay, i am sure that some of the aviance staff (myself included) who are not happy with the poor level of S/Airs pay/conditions would jump at the chance of another H/A coming in & because of the extent of accomodation that will be lost due to the merger i am positive that BIA would look at forging deals with any new company for reduced rates etc.

Big meeting tommorrow between both sets of managers & unions, hopefully we cam get some further news, after all its been a month now & we are no further down the road of knowing what the hell is going on. :ugh::ugh:
JK

bejw2008
4th Jan 2010, 13:49
According to the Swissport ASMs you dont need a driving permit now to push back planes from stand, dose anybody know if this is true?

GRIZZLER
4th Jan 2010, 15:50
Not sure how other companys do it ...but at servisair STN you need up to date driving permit...to be passed out on that type of tug being used...and be able to use the ATC radio or at least have some one with you that can, and is also a tug driver....or you cant go over the double white lines to the taxi way.

chrystall
4th Jan 2010, 17:14
hi - thought the whole point of tupe was you transfer on same rates and conditions?

call100
4th Jan 2010, 19:23
According to the Swissport ASMs you dont need a driving permit now to push back planes from stand, dose anybody know if this is true?
Mmmm! I wouldn't try it. I'm sure BHX Ops will now double check Tug drivers permits...Just in case.:=
Anyone driving airside needs a permit. Whether on the airport roads or anywhere else. Nothing to do with the type of vehicle.

exaviation
5th Jan 2010, 11:17
It's a joke right.? no permit to push planes onto the taxiway, what next towing an aircraft without calling Ground ?

legalize
5th Jan 2010, 14:12
From what I hear it was a SP Duty Manager who pushed the diverted Virigin 747. Apparently amongst all the excitement of pushing a 747 he fogot that he did not hold a valid ADP.

I also hear that SP are turning a blind eye to it as it was a manager, even though there own staff are well P***d off with it as if they had done it they would have been down the road. :=:=

JamesKirk
5th Jan 2010, 14:48
s'air T+C'S compared with aviance

hi - thought the whole point of tupe was you transfer on same rates and conditions

But for how long??, if you read the TUPE regulations it does not give a specified length of time where you stay on your T & C's and you dont have to be a genius to work out that S/Air will not allow their ex staff and the new staff to work side by side when the latter are on a better hourly rate, get more leave days and have a better redundancy package. they will want to inpose their terms onto you as soon as possible.
Yes it has to be done through consultation but how can you consult when you are told that your role is not what the company will require & told that the only alternative is a lower ranked position with the appropriate pay.
Anyone know how todays meeting went?
JK

groundagent
5th Jan 2010, 16:43
Yes it has to be done through consultation but how can you consult when you are told that your role is not what the company will require & told that the only alternative is a lower ranked position with the appropriate pay.

I believe if you take an alternative (lower) position through a redundancy consultation, the T's and C's remain. It would be hard to change the description of a role of CSA, ramp agent, despatcher so the job description is suitably different to justify a redundancy situation.

If they consult and "buy" the differences, it is obviously a different story.

Can anyone confirm my understanding?

GA

GRIZZLER
6th Jan 2010, 13:32
I think there maybe some swissport workers at STN that were tupeeed from servisair when they lost the ryanair contract years ago....and they are still on the servisair contract....or have been untill fairly recently......but i could be wrong.

number1delta
6th Jan 2010, 16:46
Can anyone from Swissport confirm whetehr the incident was brushed under the carpet ? I have a pretty good idea of who the culprit was. he was there whan I was and he was a 'yes' man then and from what I hear is virtually glued to managements side nowadays.:mad:

dionysius
7th Jan 2010, 07:22
Not too sure, however, I believe that the T+C's being transferred across are only valid for a period of 12 months then you come under the controlling companies T+C's. (it may be worth "googling" TUPE as you will find more detail}.

The meeting was postponed as head office HR staff unable to travel due inclement weather :rolleyes:

Hollymead
7th Jan 2010, 12:46
I believe that the T+C's being transferred across are only valid for a period of 12 months then you come under the controlling companies T+C's

Thats not true .

dionysius
7th Jan 2010, 14:55
Thanks for your input Hollymead, very informative :ugh:

transferred employees retain all the rights and obligations existing under their contracts of employment with the previous employer and these are transferred to the new employer, with the exception that the previous employer’s rights and obligations relating to benefits for old age, invalidity or survivors under any employees’ occupational pension schemes are not transferred. If the new employer does not provide comparable overall terms and conditions, including pension arrangements, an employee may have a claim for unfair dismissal.

I did say above that "I wasn't sure ";)

househunter
7th Jan 2010, 15:08
I was TUPE to Servisair and was only on my original contract 6 months and then paid approx £1000 difference of pay for the year. I went to a solicitor, to advise what was best. Basically I had to change because if a company can show they are not making money, they can technically make you redundant. So either I went onto a Servisair contract or I could have had no job.:ugh:Better to have a job than not at all

ReadyToGo
7th Jan 2010, 21:46
The laws of TUPE are amazingly vague, and (I believe dealt with on a case-by-case basis).

A few ex-colleagues of mine, went (via TUPE) from Servisair to GATE aviation when the EZY contract changed hands at NCL. The stories I have heard are quite frankly amazing.

Servisair staff, are on a higher rate of pay, with better holiday entitlement and callout fees etc, and sick pay... that their counterparts who were part of the original Gate Aviation payroll.

Just before the TUPE came into effect, Servisair promised its staff a pay rise. But between agreeing the pay rise, and it coming into effect, the TUPE happened. GATE are now obligied to pay the ex-servisair staff the pay rise that they would have got without TUPE. Naturally the original Gate Staff are entitled to nothing, and fall further behind.
On the flip side, any pay increase to Gate employees, has to apply to TUPE staff too. I am also told there is NO TIME LIMIT on their TUPE agreement either. Its all down to what was agreed at the time.

RTG!

groundagent
8th Jan 2010, 07:38
Just before the TUPE came into effect, Servisair promised its staff a pay rise. But between agreeing the pay rise, and it coming into effect, the TUPE happened. GATE are now obligied to pay the ex-servisair staff the pay rise that they would have got without TUPE. Naturally the original Gate Staff are entitled to nothing, and fall further behind.
On the flip side, any pay increase to Gate employees, has to apply to TUPE staff too. I am also told there is NO TIME LIMIT on their TUPE agreement either. Its all down to what was agreed at the time.

RTG - That all seems to sum it up well. The only thing, in the event of a pay review, there is no obligation to match the increase in money or percentage for the old and new contracts.

I have heard of TUPE staff getting a pay rise in line with inflation and the original staff being given an enhanced pay rise to try and reduce the gap.

Assuming union recognition was in place before the TUPE, this transfers too and if there was a multi year pay deal, this should be offered by the new company following TUPE. The same would be true with out union recognition, but the unions tend to fight for these things.

GA

STN Ramp Rat
8th Jan 2010, 21:09
TUPE protects your terms and conditions indefinitely. An employment contract is like any other contract in that both parties have to agree to change it.

If you are transferred on a higher salary there is no obligation on the new employer to offer any change such as pay rises to the staff that were transferred from the old company. In essence you stay as you are frozen in time waiting for your salary to erode to the level of the new company.

Any promotion or change of job will undoubtedly be offered on the new contract and not the old contract. Usually over a period of time the number of staff members on the old contract is whittled down to a level where there is a group of a size that the “new” employer will open talks with them or there representatives to change them over to the new contracts. Usually there is a one off incentive offered to make the change but the staff can still refuse to change if they want.

bejw2008
9th Jan 2010, 23:28
I see that the BHX operations shift manager lasted long.........it seems strange that when ever anybody in a managers role joins Swissport they only last a few months before they tuck tale and run.

chrystall
10th Jan 2010, 18:44
is that AS you are talking about? where's he gone to?

legalize
11th Jan 2010, 23:30
The best before sell by date of a SP manager is normally about 6 months. Unfotunately AS's expiry date was up and he did a runner. I hear they have a new opertaions manager but not sure who it is yet.

Probably from LDV or Virigin trains!!:ugh::ugh:

bejw2008
12th Jan 2010, 00:35
Not LDV this time, he's from the Swiss Ticket desk, has got the fine art of lying down to a T and can't be trusted as far as you could throw him! Job center Plus anybody?

undiemole
12th Jan 2010, 12:52
bejw you really are a fine fellow :mad:

I pity Swissport if you are its finest :ok:

legalize
15th Jan 2010, 00:06
Monarch will be heading to the Circus with Thompsons heading to Swissport. Will be announced soon. Not sure if it is just at BHX or national. Remember where you heard it 1st.:ok:

GRIZZLER
15th Jan 2010, 13:09
IF thomson stay with swissport it will be like having a second trip on the titanic......at STN i would be in the life boat and paddling as fast as possible to servisair......lessons learnt and all that.:{

sat1
15th Jan 2010, 13:44
Best you start paddling!!!! however please remember its women and children first!!!!

bazzab68
15th Jan 2010, 14:42
Kinda a kick in the teeth for all the aviance staff who at bhx are about to tx across that the circus are loosing there biggest contract... Had heard both Tom n ZB were on the verge of joining aviance prior to the merger.... Pretty grim if true and puts a lot of jobs on the line.. Could always sign up to the 'port!! Where do I get my application..

Regards

Baz

bejw2008
15th Jan 2010, 19:45
Dont make me laugh......

dionysius
16th Jan 2010, 08:55
Monarch will be heading to the Circus with Thompsons heading to Swissport

I cannot help thinking this will be a disatrous move for Thomson, as it is rumoured that Swissport have made a loss of £9 million over the last 2 years and need to have a major financial turnround this FY or possibly face going under,and with contracts like Flybe which apparently make little or no profit I fail to see how this will be possible.:confused:

If true an interesting year for Swissport, especially with the threat of industrial action yet to be resolved ??

Hollymead
16th Jan 2010, 20:31
as Swissport have made a loss of £9 million over the last 2 years

Is this true ?

legalize
31st Jan 2010, 00:42
Heard today that another Manager has been fired from Swissport. Not sure who it is yet. The only thing i know is it was a manager who was based at there new offices at the Business park. When will it all end..:ugh::ugh:

British Grenadier
31st Jan 2010, 19:59
as Swissport have made a loss of £9 million over the last 2 years

Well if it is true they should go the same way as SwissportUK ( LHR ) went with only £2 million loss , fold , as they legally cannot keep baleing out Swisport , well thats what managment from Zurich told us , anyway welcome DNATA at LHR :D:D:D

spirit of the age
8th Feb 2010, 20:12
Ok we've had the doom and gloom,here is a little bit of upbeat news....Thomson have decided to STAY with swissport at stansted.Clearly they realised that quality service is worth paying for.

Sprocket2009
8th Feb 2010, 20:21
Plus i would like to think the 95% OTP for the summer and 55% early had a say......GRIZZLER your right Servisair is like the good old days, apart from one fact the good airlines are staying away :ok:

legalize
9th Feb 2010, 12:55
Now official. Swsissport BHX have been told officially that they have lost the Monarch contract.

OPS1978
9th Feb 2010, 14:10
Does that mean servisair have won the monarch contract or are a new handling agent coming into to do it at bhx?.

GRIZZLER
9th Feb 2010, 17:50
now that you have got the 95% O.T.D bit sorted on the thomsonfly....maybe you can now try and get 95% of the bags to the undercroft on time.....instead of the 5%.....its not just the onloads you know.....you have to do the whole job.

sat1
9th Feb 2010, 18:31
Gotta be doing summit right otherwise they would have changed agents. Next target--germanwings!! the circus needs to' pack up the tent and move town'

GRIZZLER
9th Feb 2010, 19:07
you just keep hold of your clown suit SAT1, it might come in handy soon.

bejw2008
10th Feb 2010, 15:16
So another rounds of staff cuts on the table then. Have heard that the ASMs are to the cut from 5 down to 3, these 3 will now cover the operation between the hours of 0500-1330 and 1330-2200 working a 4 on 2 off pattern. The ramp will lose 3 team leaders and 6 ramp agents and Operations will go down to 6 full time and 3 part time. PSA will also lose 8 members of staff aswell, but then again thats what I heard...........

Sprocket2009
10th Feb 2010, 15:45
Grizzler bless you maybe you should worry about the contracts you have. I mean i know people who travelled on the TCX and had to wait nearly 2 hours for there bags. Maybe if you stop watching TOM's you maybe able to handle your own aircraft???

GRIZZLER
10th Feb 2010, 18:08
Not sure how you come up with TCX pax waiting 2 hours for their bags.....as servisair keep a daily check on all bag times and none of them are more than 40 mins....we would have had memos on the wall and scurges all round if we took that long......in fact myself and one other person have done full offload of a 320 airbus and still had bags in undercroft in 30 mins....maybe the pax got held up elseware.

the longest offload of a thomas cook 757 was a month ago from Alpa 6...a divert....the bags never went down to the undercroft for an hour after plane landed,as the buses never turned up for the pax....so bags went down as soon as punters were there to collect them.....so we did not block up the belts......so i think the people you know must have been with thomsonfly.....they do sound similar......but thanks for your concern.

legalize
10th Feb 2010, 18:38
Was told by a Swissport Manager today that the reason they lost the Mon contract was because Mon wanted virtually a free turnaround. The new Swissport directors are now not willing to handle for peanuts. However Aviance were happy to handle for peanuts and won the contract. This now means Circusair have been lumbered with the contract.

I think all the HA should get together and refuse to handle airlines for peanuts. The airlines are squeezing the life out of HA. :*

Alan Tracey
10th Feb 2010, 22:00
Not true...

Aviance rates are actually slightly higher than the present Swissport rates, but service levels was the deciding factor...

legalize
10th Feb 2010, 22:07
Also 2 landside shift managers going. Finally Swissport use some common sense and realise they have to much management :D:D

Wht should it always be the shopfloor that takes the hit on redundancies.

Tranceaddict
11th Feb 2010, 00:06
I think all the HA should get together and refuse to handle airlines for peanuts.

I believe thats called a cartel, and is illegal :=

undiemole
11th Feb 2010, 10:31
Legalize, contract offer was performance related which is why it was not renewed with Swissport.

You were a bit slow off the mark with the Monarch announcement as I am led to believe it has been common knowledge for a week or so,still no announcement on TOM going to Swissport ;):oh:

legalize
11th Feb 2010, 18:59
Undiemole

If it was performance related woulnt the contract have gone at other bases where performance was bad. BHX is actually Monarchs best base for OTD etc.

It was down to money and thats the bottom line. When the official announcememnt is released I wont say I told you so.:E

bejw2008
11th Feb 2010, 19:09
Those Memos you talk of are always the same "Its in no way a reflection of the staffs work blah blah blah" its true that the bottom line is cost, and that has deciding factor. On the TOM contract I have heard that there staying put, hence the job cuts, the big down side of this is the arss kissing and cock sucking that we have to put up with, when will thses middle managment learn that there no more then a number, nothing more nothing less........

BroadwayAce
12th Feb 2010, 11:37
Legalize

Whilst not employed by BHX or any of their HA, as an airline supplier, it is not just the HA they are 'squeezing', they are cutting costs everywhere, to the extent you have to ask, is it worth it anymore? Despite the current climate, none of us in business should have to stoop to the level the airlines are asking us to perform at. But what can we do, we cannot join together, because you can bet your bottom dollar, a supplier no matter what they provide will always undercut you:ugh:

As to service, I am a regular pax ex BHX, and sadly have to say that Swissport from my own experiences this last two years have not provided the level of service they once did. I appreciate some or possibly most of this is down to their management, a fact borne out by their staff. Not very professional in front of a queue of pax waiting to board the buses to hear a staff member moaning extremely loud about their LA and indeed their management and what the "Hell" they should be doing!! And please do not get me onto arrivals, because of the last two flights I have had, 20 minutes for the steps to arrive (ZB skipper not amused one bit) and the other flight, 55 minutes for baggage, yet no other aircraft had landed in the previous 45 mins that Swissport handle!!:ugh::ugh:

number1delta
13th Feb 2010, 15:06
I worked during the Groundstar days and for the 2 years of it being swissport. It seems like the problems that existed then are still apparent today. I still keep in contact with the old staff so am still in touch with what is going on. It seems like the biggest problem is with Duty managers/shift maangers/yes men (whatever you want to call them). For some reason they tend to agree with everything higher managememt come out with, even if it makes no sense at all. If you dare go agaionst the maangemt you are then down he road. I have only ever known 2 DM's who dared to answer maangers back and stuck up for the workforce (Tw and UK) Where are these two legends now? Down the road!

From what I have heard now the so called shift maangers in place now are the most un-capable bunch that you could dream up. They are all yes men/women who follow managers round nodding their heads like nodding dogs. Most of them are less qulaified than ramp ops, ops guys and psa's. But then again, why should they not jump when told to. Their mistakes are overlooked by management on a regular basis. Just to mention a few

1 - A Shift manager pushes a plane with no driving permit and wearing shoes that resemble wedding shoes on the ramp. To rub it in a few hours later jumps onto a deck loader and operates that...What is done? Not a thing

2 - A shift maanger turns up late for 90% of shifts! WHat is done? Not a thing

3 - A shift manager is not able to help out in any of the 3 departments due to not being un-capable of doing so. What is done? Not a thing?

4 - A shift manager who is not qulaified jumps into the loading control seat and sends wrong loadsheets without being a licensed load controller. What happens? A letter on file which means absoluteley jack.

And to rub it all in, a ramp guy pushes a cone with a EBT and what happens? HE GETS PUT ON A 12 MONTHS FINAL WARNING!!!:mad::mad:

My point is, until all the corruption stops and there is 1 set of rules put in place for everyone, then Swissport will not progress. It will continue to be a downhill struggle im afraid.

PRLB
15th Feb 2010, 14:38
I have been told by a contact at servisair that Turkish also will be joining Monarch at servisair at BHX. Swissport loosing alot with they survive?.

bejw2008
15th Feb 2010, 15:10
I have heard the same myself from the self appointed Swissport Operations ASM, this is why all training for this airline has been supended. Best start brushing up the CV again.

Sprocket2009
15th Feb 2010, 15:30
Turkish is up for tender all over the UK i think will be intresting to see what they do. Menzies are very interested in them at Stansted.

PRLB
15th Feb 2010, 15:52
Could swissport survive on just these airlines if Tk leave aswell?

BE.PK.CY.LX. mmm doubt it very much but dont forget BE was always there favourite airline they only have themseleves to blame.

sat1
15th Feb 2010, 17:50
Menzies can't even handle the EZY contract.I pity any airline that picks them as their handling agent.

legalize
15th Feb 2010, 20:57
There is no way any other airline will leave Swissport and go to Servisair. Remember, Monarch only left because Aviance agreed to handle them for virtually nothing and now they have ended up at Servisair. Sevisair are in a very healthy position currnetly so are not going to take on any new contracts for peanuts. So think about it, why would an airline leave a HA where they are getting a fairly decent service to goto a HA that will be charging them more and the service level will decrease due to the sheer amount of work Servisair will have.

jetsgo
16th Feb 2010, 11:51
The reason Aviance did not get the monarch contract last year was because Swissport was rumoured to had offered £500k to stay. Monarch could not refuse and extended the contract on a 1 year deal.

Rumour was that Aviance were about to seal the deal (again) with monarch just prior to being taken over by the circus. Everything was put on hold until the takeover plans were a little clearer.

Obviously they have now signed with Servisair on the terms agreed with Aviance. You said it yourself

Sevisair are in a very healthy position currnetly so are not going to take on any new contracts for peanuts

The contract was there for servisair to turn down. There is surly some weight behind it?

Space for a 3rd handling agent now?

GRIZZLER
16th Feb 2010, 14:22
like i said before SAT1.....keep your clowns outfit, it might come in handy soon..... you have most of it already, well it is red........all you need now is the big shoes and the red nose.......and you already make us laugh.

STN Ramp Rat
16th Feb 2010, 16:31
The reason Aviance did not get the contract last year was because Swissport was rumoured to had offered £500k to stay

I am not involved with the Circus or Swissport but do know enough about the ground handling industry to know that this, or at least the amount, is rubish
what sort of margins do you think the handlers have, certainly not enough to be offering a 500K incentive to stay.

bazzab68
17th Feb 2010, 06:27
The latest from bhx is the port have served a 60 day notice on all airlines except flymaybe!!! If true then surely servisair cannot take on all contracts! Another handling agent must be on the cards as one cannot cope especially on this scale!

Baz

undiemole
17th Feb 2010, 13:19
Monarch will be heading to the Circus with Thompsons heading to Swissport. Will be announced soon. Not sure if it is just at BHX or national. Remember where you heard it 1st.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Official announcement today. Thomson have renewed the contract at BHX with Servisair, so quite a few of you including Legalize were completely and utterley wrong :ok:

PRLB
17th Feb 2010, 14:06
Surely if its true about swissport only wanting to have flybe at bhx then there is room for a 3rd handling agent?.Gate Or menzies?.

BHX-MOLE
17th Feb 2010, 14:10
It would appear that Swissport have there backs against the wall this time and really have no place to turn!

We all knew Monarch would eventually pack up and leave (due to a number of accidents involving ground staff) and an average handling service that was provided year after year with little or no improvment.

Flybe are Swissports bread and butter and will enable swissport to keep a small work force, however given the fact Swissport have lost there 2nd biggest customer could this Iceberg be getting closer?

:uhoh:

legalize
17th Feb 2010, 15:12
The latest from bhx is the port have served a 60 day notice on all airlines except flymaybe!!! If true then surely servisair cannot take on all contracts! Another handling agent must be on the cards as one cannot cope especially on this scale!

This has to me the most stupid and most unbelievable rumour ever posted on PPrune.:ugh::ugh:

legalize
17th Feb 2010, 15:16
Official announcement today. Thomson have renewed the contract at BHX with Servisair, so quite a few of you including Legalize were completely and utterley wrong

Funny how no servisair BHX staff are aware of thi sannouncement but from your little cave in Kent you are!:(:(

BHXvine
17th Feb 2010, 15:30
I sometimes wonder if there should be a seperate section to pprune, because there are several types of rumours, from those with some substance, ranging through to those which are complete and utter bo***cks! I think you may agree with me on that point Legaliize?!

undiemole
18th Feb 2010, 08:27
It looks like comms to my "little cave in Kent" are somewhat more efficient than in your little office in Bhx, as apparently official announcment made yesterday, or perhaps you are talking to wrong servisair contacts :ok:

Please feel free to post your findings on here :rolleyes:

bazzab68
20th Feb 2010, 04:04
Code:
Official announcement today. Thomson have renewed the contract at BHX with Servisair, so quite a few of you including Legalize were completely and utterley wrong
Funny how no servisair BHX staff are aware of thi announcement but from your little cave in Kent you are!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif

Funny how walking in this morning after 2 days off, a notice on the wall saying u guessed it... Thomson are staying with Servisair... Looks llike u need to go to a cave as they seem more reliable than ur so called servisair buddies. Am also sure u posted the same re TCX and them going to the 'port. Oh well!!!!!!!!! :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Oh also Monarch as well have signed..

I still beleive this is to much for 1 to handle but here goes.. :ok:

Baz

legalize
23rd Feb 2010, 21:09
According to a friend of mine who is a dispatcher at Swissport the Monarch Crews are well pissed off about being handled by the Circus. They admitted that the only reason their company went to Aviance/Circusair was because they could not turn down the virtually free turnrounds they will be getting. Also withthe delay fines written into the contract they will be getting a heavy discount on a delay of 1-10 minutes and a free turnround if the delay is more than 10 minutes. They cant lose!! With the amount of work the circus have taken on I cant see monarch paying a penny for the duration of the contract.:{

number1delta
23rd Feb 2010, 21:21
From what I heard Servisair are the ones thinking about giving Monarch the boot. They are not happy with the terms agreed by Aviance originally which they have to honour. Servisair also have a clause which allows them to pull out of the deal and they are seriously thinking about doing do.

Alan Tracey
24th Feb 2010, 10:39
I think that you would agree that Aviance would not have taken a loss making contract on at BHX, as it was one of their few profitable bases.... WHY?

The MON agreement has been signed with Servisair post the Aviance buy (hence just announced offically), and so all the rates and t & c are Servisair agreed. Maybe Servisair are now using their size to "crush" their remaining competition ....very understandable... I would look out for this at many stations.

The rates offered by Aviance were higher than the present Swissport rates (not taking into account any cross subsidy/discount package with LGW or MAN), but SERVICE was the deciding factor.

I am sure MON are nervious as I am sure that they were not expecting the highly respected Aviance BHX management team to have been replaced.....

legalize
24th Feb 2010, 20:05
I agree with you Alan. Aviance Managment at BHX were a cut above the rest. If they are now not part of the servisair management team then it will be serviair's loss.

jetsgo
25th Feb 2010, 11:23
I can see some of the old aviance managment team turning up at swissport over the coming months and sorting things out.

If swissport manage this then its only a matter of time before they start taking contracts off of servisair!

Or will they turn up at a 3rd handling agent?

legalize
6th Mar 2010, 21:12
If what im hearing is true, all you Servisiair staff who are swissport haters have got a nice suprise coming..:oh::oh:

The96er
6th Mar 2010, 21:44
If what im hearing is true, all you Servisiair staff who are swissport haters have got a nice suprise coming..

Care to tell us more ?

SteadyEDI
6th Mar 2010, 22:58
If what im hearing is true, all you Servisiair staff who are swissport haters have got a nice suprise coming..Is this "nice surprise" a local thing or national?

GRIZZLER
7th Mar 2010, 19:07
dont tell me....swissport have gone bust....thats no suprise!!!:eek:

legalize
7th Mar 2010, 20:40
It only affects BHX. All will be revealed soon. Once I know Swissport staff have been informed I will reveal more.

Sam1664
7th Mar 2010, 20:53
What? So basically Swissport pulling out of BHX, surely if this happens then another handling such as Menzies is bound step in?

Can't leave everything to Servisair, i doubt they will be able to cope with all the airlines at BHX! :confused:

legalize
7th Mar 2010, 22:31
It has absolutely nothing to do with anyone pulling put. It's actually to do with jobs been made safe.

Sam1664
7th Mar 2010, 22:33
Ummm strange, you may as well just spill the beans then! :ugh:

undiemole
8th Mar 2010, 07:50
Possibly more to do with the rumour previously mentioned that Swissport are giving up other contracts to concentrate solely on Flybe, which could mean that Servisair may have to employ Swissport staff :confused:

Although Legalize is not the most reliable of rumourmongers :

There is no way any other airline will leave Swissport and go to Servisair

Thompsons heading to Swissport. Will be announced soon. Not sure if it is just at BHX or national. Remember where you heard it 1st.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Contracts will be changing hands like hot cakes. Big shock coming for the Circus i'm afraid..:oh::oh:

:bored::rolleyes::ok:

BHX-MOLE
8th Mar 2010, 09:53
OK here it is.

Swissport are set to release 25% of there staff to Servisair due to the Monarch contract its set to be at least 45 staff members from ramp to checkin.

Could be as soon as the 1st of April.

:ok:

BHX-MOLE
16th Mar 2010, 17:05
So....

My info was correct, however it would seem Swissport are finding it difficult to move a select number of staff from one side of the airport to the other!

Wonder if the Station manager ties his own shoes?

:}

undiemole
17th Mar 2010, 09:00
Presumably if this is true, it will upset Aviance/Servisair staff who are worried about their future job prospects, especially as Swissport will no doubt let their "best" staff move across ;)

exaviation
17th Mar 2010, 12:50
Aviance/Servisair/Swissport merge to form BHX handling....now there's an idea

legalize
17th Mar 2010, 21:08
Servisair have agreed to take 20 staff. They had no choice as TUPE regulations state they have to take them. Im sure Swissport will give their 'best' staff..:=:=

JamesKirk
19th Mar 2010, 08:49
Servisair have agreed to take 20 staff. They had no choice as TUPE regulations state they have to take them. Im sure Swissport will give their 'best' staff..:=:=
#

Both Servisair & ex aviance staff are looking forward to working again with colleagues who were "finished" by either company before.
On a lighter note however the amalgamation process rumbles on (at a snails pace) no one thinks that it will be done before the start of the Summer season as neither union is happy at the way its being handled.

JK

undiemole
19th Mar 2010, 17:06
My "insider" tells me that ramp and ops dept at BHX are due to co-locate in the old Aviance office space wef 01 Apr 09 (now theres an apt date :eek:).

With combined operations commencing around the middle of April dependant on training of staff on systems.

Watch this space:(

apparently the ex Aviance ramp staff have already rejected planned rosters for combined ops as the union had an agreement in their old contract which allowed them a say in roster planning.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

BHX-MOLE
25th Mar 2010, 11:49
Well well well,

It would seem once again that the managment at Swissport BHX have shown just how much they know about the aviation industry ..........NOTHING!

The tupe agreement has been broken and it would now seem redundency is on the cards for more employee's!

Is this the only action the so called managment know?

well done guys! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

legalize
25th Mar 2010, 13:03
How ironic is it that this threas was started nearly 1 year ago with the following thread

Was told on my way out last night that Swissport UK are making all of their DM's redundant to save the company £600k a year!!! If it is true it looks like yet more work being dumped on those that are struggling to cover everything as it is.

One more step down the slippery slope?

1 year on the duty manager position was changed to shift manager, a role that would be the solution to most problems. And what is happening now, the shift maangers are at risk of redundancy. What Swissport and other companies fail to notice is that just because you flood a company with management it does not necessarily improve things. Especially if the people that are put in them positions are incapable but 'yes' men.
Anyone have any idea of the total amount of redundancies that are beinbg made in Swissport? Are they just at management level or across the board? Some of my friends who work at SP were telling me this is the 4th time in 2 years they have been at risk of redundancy.

Also have heard that a high up manager from Swissport has gone off sick. We all know what happens when that occurs..:{:{:{

undiemole
25th Mar 2010, 18:38
Does this mean that the Swissport staff earmarked for transfer will not be moving to Servisair ??

I have spoken to many people in various airlines and the general consensous is that eventually Swissport will eventually handle all airlines at BHX

Legalize, I think you may need to change your contacts looking at the above quote, which you unfortunately made on the BHX thread a while back.:rolleyes:

BHX-MOLE
25th Mar 2010, 21:22
In answer to your question,

15 more to be either made jobless or have their hours reduced, This will be mostley ramp agents. However, team leaders have been given the same notice period which puts them in the line of fire. So in answer to your question undiemole........No there not coming to work for Servisair.

The current managment in place are made up of friends of friends which have (NO) experience in aviation what so ever!! i.e. an ex LDV employee in charge of millions of pounds worth of mahines :} nice one :ok:

Some really good lads will be out of work thanks to clueless wonders!

legalize
25th Mar 2010, 23:44
Undiemole

You are right, i now admit that assumption did not materialise. However, if swissport had kept their previous station manager (WM) and bought in some experienced managers to work alongside him, i firmly beleive that my statement would have materialised at some time.

rather what happened instead was inexpereinced managers were bought in and given nodding dogs to work alongside them them which unfortunateley did not work.:=:=

pigsinspace
29th Mar 2010, 15:45
I dont want to read 18 pages of this thread, but is it about Swissport in general or just BHX?

They are advertising for shift managers at LGW?

BHX-MOLE
30th Mar 2010, 08:12
The clue is in the title of this forum :rolleyes:

And I dont think many people would be interested in the LGW shift managers role nobody on this chat forum is daft enough to join the clowns :}

pigsinspace
30th Mar 2010, 09:01
The title of the forum is PPRUNE

The Group is Flight/Ground ops and dispatch

The Thread is Swissport redundancies, so I am sorry but your first sarcastic answer means nothing.

Also I really dont care what you THINK, Its obvious reading your few posts that you have some kind of hatred or vendetta against Swissport,

So can anyone else (apart from BHX-MOLE ) answer my original question?

nclops
30th Mar 2010, 11:02
pigsinspace

Although the title is More Swissport Redundancies the thread is generally just a bickering match for various agents in BHX. I wouldn't bother reading through all the pages if I was you, it gets quite boring after a while. The majority of posters have nothing good to say about Swissport but i suppose they're entitled to an opinion. Not all of us have the same opinion though.

BHX-MOLE
30th Mar 2010, 16:24
Well the fact that I work for them in BHX would allow me to say what ever I want as I know 1st hand what I am working with!!

And its clear you do care what I think else you wouldnt take the time to reply

are you a Swissport DM by any chance Haaaahaa :ok:

tickerdboo
9th Apr 2010, 12:45
Swissport to lose PIA from June, or so Im told.

legalize
9th Apr 2010, 21:03
pia may even go earlier than june. For some very strange unknown reason swissport seem to be not doing anything in order to persuade them to stay. Even tough pia would have more than likely paid slightly more for handling. What on earth are swissport playing at? Soneone, please shed some light on wht is going on!!

undiemole
10th Apr 2010, 19:00
Swissport have to make a profit this FY, otherwise they will go under, perhaps they may look to reducing costs and concentrate solely on Flybe, hoping to reverse the downturn, unfortunately more cost cutting measures may be in the pipeline :uhoh:

Looks like a strong case for a third handling agent to make a move on BHX, however, personnally I think they will hold fire until the summer is halfway through before making a decision, as Servisair will desperately need some "Paul Daniels" type management to keep their ever increasing list of customers happy :confused:

A very interesting summer ahead, good luck to all.:ok:

The96er
19th Apr 2010, 11:21
They have no income and I believe they are offering their staff the following choices :
1. Take holiday
2. take unpaid holiday
3. owe the company hours and make up the difference at a later date.#

Does anyone with knowledge of employment law know if this is actually legal ?

groundagent
19th Apr 2010, 12:40
Does anyone with knowledge of employment law know if this is actually legal ?

I am not a legal or HR expert, but surely this is more a question of reasonability and flexability from the staff. Lack of flexability will cost jobs as companies are unable to cover cost with no revenue coming in.

The potential impact on all areas of the industry through this is imense. The only way HA's and other retailers will be able to get through this is with reasonableness from staff. It is annoying as it feels like the companies are trying to get one over on the staff, but if the company is not taking revenue but still having massive costs (as I am sure people are the biggest cost to a business) there is only one way for a company to go . . .

This thread is based on Swissport redundancies, but is relevant to all companies.

Any companies who are offering the above options should be commended as they are trying to ensure all staff can pay the mortgage/bills at the end of this month, and every month going forward and the staff can make their own mind up about their financial/life situation. Anyone who decides that they are going to just turn up to work and get paid may be jepardising the financial position of the company, themselves and their colleagues. In these difficult times, we have all seen the impact of company balance sheets becoming unbalanced through no fault of the staff (Globespan, Alba, Sky Europe, Zoom, XL, SilverJet . . .). Aviance Sold out of the UK (except LHR). Although each of those situations are different, the effect from the staff can be positive or negative.

With all this in mind, I am not sure if anyone needs to look to far in to the legalities of it as the people have a choice.

Staff, Unions, Management, now is a good time to pull in the same direction to ride out this latest storm (no pun intended).

GA

scr1
19th Apr 2010, 13:02
it is fine to say that staff need to help out and take unpaid leave etc but when the company is doing well do we see anything back NO if companies treated their staff well then they could be justifed in asking for that but they dont (or most dont)

legalize
28th Apr 2010, 23:54
Finally some good news at swissport bhx. They have maanged to retain the PIA contract for a further year..About time!:ugh::ugh:

tickerdboo
7th May 2010, 13:08
Yesterday I voted for chamge.... Came into work and was given yet another redundancy letter, my 4th in 3 years, I tell you we have been restructerd more times then a childs Lego set.....

legalize
7th May 2010, 22:55
I hear the station manager, airside operations manager and CEO have all been given the chop!! Have they finally realized train drivers can not run HA...:ugh::ugh:

number1delta
15th May 2010, 23:52
If you are wandering why this page has 19 pages of threads to do with redunacies then beleive you me it is possible at Swissport. I have lost track of how many restructures they have had. Latest new is the whole operations department have been put at risk as well as the ramp supervisors. They now have to all apply for 1 set of jobs! More work, less money..:=