PDA

View Full Version : Old Hours

AreWeNearlyThere
2nd Apr 2009, 17:29
Hi all,

Just a quick question, I have been flying on and off for a long time and everytime I get the PPL in my sights, something happens and I have to put flying to the side.

I have logged a total of 21 hours flight training with my last flight in 2005.

I am about to start again as I now have no commitments, anything to hold me back and enough cash to see it through to the end and then progress further.

My question is, are the 21 hours worth anything now or should I look at them as just valuable experience gained and nothing else? It makes no difference to me either way as I see it as money well spent as I love flying but if they do count, even only as part of the time needed to progrees to MEP and CPL stuff then I suppose its a double bonus!

Thanks for reading!

P.S "1st" lesson booked for this Saturday afternoon :8

OneIn60rule
2nd Apr 2009, 17:40
Towards your 45 hours flying.

You'll still be rusty but if you were indeed good then it should all come back on the first flight. The only areas you'll be a bit weak in "radio".

You'll probably get the PAT and APT wrong.

I knew one chap who hadn't flown for 10 years and wanted to know if it's worth using the hours he had. Actually in his case it turned out to be better to just do a full course instead of cutting corners.

Enjoy!

1/60

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Apr 2009, 17:51
Regardless of whether the hours count towards the 45 hour minimum, if you have actually rememebered anything, which you almost certainly have, they will count in practice towards the 60 hours or so that most people take to be good enough to pass the test.

AreWeNearlyThere
2nd Apr 2009, 18:01
Pretty good news all round really. I am in no way counting on any of the hours, as both of you have said, I will remember a lot but also get things wrong. I think the main thing I was "hoping" they would count for are when I have my PPL and have done a bit of hour building, maybe some of them count towards the minimum needed to progress and start some MEP training.

Money really isn't an object for me, theres enough of it for me to do what I need, so I'm not interested in trying to use the 21 hours to cut down costs. I think I would be better off strting afresh anyway..Iron out any bad habits, evolve the skills I have gained.. that sort of thing.

I was always very good with R/T so this is one of the things I miss quite a lot :ok:

OneIn60rule
2nd Apr 2009, 18:09
I hope you know what's required for that.

As I remember 70 hours Pilot in command of an aircraft. So the hours you do as dual won't help.

However you have gained 21 hours and certainly at least half of those will have been useful. Keep the ones you have logged.

1/60

AreWeNearlyThere
2nd Apr 2009, 18:50
Yeh, been researching a lot.. so have a pretty good idea what I need to do to move on from PPL, but realistically, I want to do a good 100 hours P1 (plus what is required for PPL) before moving on.

I don't see the point in rushing :hmm: May aswell get a good bit of stick & rudder flying, night & day, before taking the plunge. Theres no substitute for experience as they say.

I want to, hopefully, get a good 250-300 hours in before I start thinking about the CPL exams and that side of things.