PDA

View Full Version : aircraft ownership costs for a pitts or similar

boeing320
2nd Apr 2009, 13:00
the title says it all really, i'm considering buying a small plane with a mate. the pitts s1s looks like a good candidate as its presumably cheap to run for an aerobat - small, fixed pitch etc.

i know how much they cost to buy but what about the insurance, hangarage, maintenance costs (and how long between overhauls, how long does the engine live for etc).

also - the s1s is the factory built version i believe - can that be operated on a permit, or are they just for home built machines. i guess its quite a bit cheaper to operate it on a permit?

if somebody on here owns a similar machine and wouldn’t mind sharing a few of the details, that would be much appreciated.

cheers

stiknruda
2nd Apr 2009, 16:27
1 Very few factory built Pitts Specials make their way onto the permit, so buy a homebuilt.

2 Insurance for two low Pitts houred pilots will be iro £2000 a year for the a/c) - it depends upon how much you value the hull.

3 On a permit - I'd budget £700 a year for maintenance and spares.

4 The engine is lifed between 1500 and 2000 hrs depending upon model - a rebuild will set you back iro £8k assuming that you do not need major components like cams or cranks

5 Hangarage varies wildly across the country - ask locally.

6 There are quite a few for sale at the mo - go to the BAeA website. There are a few folk in the UK with an intimate knowledge of Pitts Specials - find one of them to help you narrow down your search. There are some dogs out there - be careful in your choice.

Stik

Pitts owner/builder/repairer