PDA

View Full Version : POST screen has disappeared.

None of the above
1st Apr 2009, 14:02
For reasons that escape me, the POST screen on my Vista PC has ceased to manifest itself. I assume that there is a setting somewhere in the BIOS that needs to be selected to 'on' again, but I'm unable to enter the BIOS set up pages by pressing the 'Del' key as per the book of words.
The main board is an Asus M2N-SLI.

Any thoughts, Gentlemen, please?

PS Apart from the above mentioned snag, the PC is working normally.

Saab Dastard
1st Apr 2009, 15:29
It might work if you hold down some keys on the keyboard when switching on. It should throw a "Keyboard Error" wobbly and allow you to enter the BIOS Setup routine. Usually works for me when I don't know / can't remember the proper key press for the specific PC.

SD

None of the above
1st Apr 2009, 15:54
Thanks SD. Unfortunately it hasn't worked on this occasion but your suggestion has served to jog the memory. I think the problem might have stemmed from something resting on the keyboard when I booted up a day or two ago. Quite which keys were pressed at the time is, of course, a mystery!

Thanks for your suggestion.

N o t a

Saab Dastard
1st Apr 2009, 16:44
You may need to clear the CMOS RAM -

Manual (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2N-E/e2830_m2n-e_sli.pdf), page 2-19.

Another thing to check is whether it is going to Off or Suspend with the power switch.

SD

None of the above
1st Apr 2009, 17:41
You may need to clear the CMOS RAM -

Nail, head, hit, square!

Thanks for that one SD. Although I built the machine myself and do all mods and repairs, I'd have been scratching my head for all eternity over that.
Additionally, I took the opportunity to have a go with the air duster!

Much obliged:ok:

N o t a

None of the above
1st Apr 2009, 18:48
Further to my last..................

Unfortunately the problem has manifested itself again. Two thoughts spring to mind:

(1) The BIOS battery needs replacing as per Mr Draper's thread.

(2) MOBO about to depart this mortal vale of tears.

Will back up everything ASAP just in case!

N o t a

Saab Dastard
1st Apr 2009, 18:49
It never rains but it pours!

Good luck, hope the new CMOS battery sorts it out (cheap!).

SD

bnt
1st Apr 2009, 19:19
In the BIOS you may find a setting for "Quick Boot" or "POST screen" that can make a difference. As noted, a reset to defaults usually brings the full display back, since it's advertising for the motherboard maker.

None of the above
1st Apr 2009, 20:10
Thanks bnt. I'll pursue that line of enquiry in a few days. Aged father is being admitted to hospital tomorrow so computing will have to take a back seat for a while, but I'll let you know if it works.

Ta:ok:

N o t a

None of the above
7th Apr 2009, 18:15
To SD, bnt and other esteemed PPRuNers waiting with bated breath for the next exciting instalment of the 'None of the above Patented Difference Engine' problem.

I changed the main board battery a few days ago and the system has been stable since then. Having been foolhardy enough to make that statement, something will go wrong.
The battery was £2.99 from the local motor spares shop and, at the time of writing, a better bargain than a new main board.

Thanks, chaps.

N o t a:ok: