PDA

View Full Version : Can a "foreign" TRE sign my LPC ?

ABO944
31st Mar 2009, 20:53
Hi guys n gals.

I have never thought about this before, but I am going in the sim tomrrow and will have a foreign TRE (has a JAR licence) who will be signing off my licence (doing an LPC or PC if you are not from the UK).

I have a UK CAA issued JAR-FCL ATPL (f) but just wanted to make sure he could actually sign my revalidation page in my licence.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

ABO :ok:

tom775257
1st Apr 2009, 10:01
Yes, I have had my UK JAR licence signed off by a 'foreign' European JAR TRE, no problem..

Nightrider
1st Apr 2009, 10:50
Follow this procedure always if check is done outside your CAA responsibility area:

1. Copy of the simulator approval by JAR
2. Copy of the TRE approval of his CAA
3. Copy of the checkflight form duly signed
4. Send these docs to your CAA asap, including copy of your check-records sheet.
5. Keep a copy of all docs mentioned before for your personal records, helps answering questions if they may arise after some years.

Works fine for a lot of colleagues and me.

ABO944
7th Apr 2009, 12:12
Another question ...

Does anyone know if I can still fly (without my licence so to speak) whilst awaiting my shiney new ATPL through the post?

Or do I actually keep my ATPL (f) blue thing in hand, and await my new green plastic ATPL licence?

Cheers,

:)

Willie Everlearn
7th Apr 2009, 13:08
No one outside the UK or Europe is likely to sign off your OPC/LPC unless they have been "authorized" to do so by the proper authority (JAA/CAA). No TRTO is likely to put you in a position where they "falsely" arrange your sim and a check. Possible, but not likely and certainly bad for business.

While your concerns are understandable, TRTOs in this competitive environment are most unlikely to play games like that.
Also, asking your TRE/IRE for copies of his qualifications and authorizations isn't going to happen. All you require is covered on the UK CAA form and the JAA form, anyway. They probably would show you their authority if asked, so all I might suggest is that you get it done and signed off and not worry about it.

...unless you're on the game doing it through a dodgy arrangement in the first place?

Green plastic thing? I'm assuming you're referring to an FAA certificate. If so, you will surrender your green plastic thingy and be issued with a Temproary Certificate in its place authorizing you to exercise the privileges of the licence. Subject to your Medical validity, of course.

I hope this helps? :ok:
Willie

READY MESSAGE
8th Apr 2009, 14:57
Foreign TREs need to be CAA authorised. The CAA will usually insist on the examiner having completed a UK CRMI course for some reason.

As for a TRTO not putting you in the position of having an examiner not correctly qualified, don't be too sure. It's just happened to a friend of mine and is currently doing battle with a major US establishment.....

Justin Cyder-Belvoir
10th Apr 2009, 14:12
Not exactly accurate, ready message, but in the right vein.

The TRE is a national authorisation, so it has to be approved by the national authority of the state of registration, but that usually isn't a problem as qualifications from JAA contracting states have to be accepted.

The TRI qualification is a JAA "tick"; same as SFI.

READY MESSAGE
11th Apr 2009, 17:19
The TRE will be recognised, however, the UK CAA normally put an extra few hoops in the way. I met a TRE in a FBO recently who was complaining that he had been a TRE on his current type for over 20 years in Sweden and if he wanted to carry out OPC/LPC in the UK, as he had been offered, the CAA were insisting he did a CRMI course.

Willie Everlearn
15th Apr 2009, 14:58
Personally, I think CRMI/E is a great add-on to the TRE/TRI qual.
SAS include CRM eval as part of their regular training programs. All crew under training have their CRM skills evaluated.
:D
Many airlines are migrating in that direction because of its impact on safety.
:D:D
Why not have CRMI training and authorization?

ABO944
17th Apr 2009, 11:21
I have a new problem for you ...

The TRE didn't sign the "Certificate of English Proficiency Assessment" part on my CAA form.

Is this a problem seeing as I have a Level 6, being a British subject and spearking Inglish rowlly will ?
:}

Or should I send the form back to him to sign ?

Thankings