PDA

View Full Version : Spares for Robin Aircraft

grahama
31st Mar 2009, 12:58
I have a Robin 100/200B which is in for 50 hr check and needing some brake parts.

With Apex Aircraft not re-started I wonder if any fellow Robin owners have news on parts availability or potential re-start of parts production.

I am working through J and J at Sibson, who are great but have no news yet.

As anyone lucky enough to fly a Robin knows there are few aircraft come close and it would be a shame if ownership is dogged by spares problems for long!

robin
31st Mar 2009, 18:52
All the best with this.

If you can't get it through CEAPR, the new owners, try Aerodif.fr

jxk
1st Apr 2009, 04:57
Just out of interest recently the CAA had reason to inspect a HR100/200B and couldn't find any reference to this type by the DGAC. Also, they found that the parts catalogue didn't show the leading edge modification.
I believe that CEAPR as Apex are now called are still waiting for their type approval from the DGAC.
Be careful about which brake linings you use as there is some controversy over these regarding the rivets.

IO540
1st Apr 2009, 09:19
I don't know about Robins but most plane wheels/brakes are made by Cleveland and are well known off the shelf parts. No half smart maintenance company will be buying these parts from the aircraft manufacturer's disti network.

jxk
1st Apr 2009, 17:24
IO540 - Robin/Apex have always seemed reluctant to use off the shelf AGS type components. So, the undercarraige and braking systems are unique to Robin. For instance, the flap mechanism uses the electric window winder from a 1970ish Renault 11 TS, which by the way is no longer available. The flap indicator is a similar connoction using a car fuel tank sender and receiver.

AN2 Driver
2nd Apr 2009, 08:58
Pardon me for jumping in, I am looking at one of these (HR100-200B / IO360) at the moment for possible purchase so those of you who own one or know about them:

- What is there specific to them to look for?
- I see that they do have an AD on inspecting the wing spar which necessitated taking off the landing gear, any experiences on this? I have reason to believe it's not been done yet on this airframe.
- Any specific problems with the engine? (IO360)
- How well does the RG10 autopilot work? Has anyone done refitting with other APs and if so which one?

The particular airframe has been hangared/stored for about a year by now and needs a new C of A (last one expired in 2007) due to non use. It's pretty pristine in and out otherwise and seems to have been receiving some maintenance in between. However, anything specific to watch out for under these circumstances?

And of course, the parts situation. I understand from what I heard that France can't really afford to let Robin go down totally as there are simply too many of them, but what is the actual situation after APEX?

For me personally, this aircraft would fit my mission requirement perfectly, but there are loads of unanswered questions. Again, sorry for jumping in here but I have noticed that people here are usually the single best source if you want the facts and not hangar talk.

Thanks for taking the time to give me a hint or two here.

Best regards
AN2 Driver

grahama
2nd Apr 2009, 09:40
I have owned a Robin 100/200B for 2 years now.

It is a fantastic aircraft with little to rival it save a Cirrus.

Mine has had main spar replaced and corrosion proofed and inspection hatches fitted for future inspection. In terms of what to look for there is an article about HR 100,s in last months Flyer magazine. Mine is maintained by J&J Engineering who really know Robins well can call Jason on 00441832280984.

Parts are a temporary problem; at the moment there does not seem to be any availability so getting your aircraft re certified to fly may be difficult in the near future.

Good luck and call me if you wish to speak further 07940532822

Graham

Brooklands
2nd Apr 2009, 12:57
AN2,

There's a buyer's guide to the metal Robins in the April issue of Pilot magazine.

Brooklands

AN2 Driver
2nd Apr 2009, 14:08
Hi Graham,

thanks, I'll take you up on that or per e-mail, which might make things easier (see pm).

Which edition of Flyer was that? I went to the website but in the back issues I could not find anything. If you can tell me which one (March?) I'll order it as a back issue.

I reckon it's exactly this wing spar thing which needs to be done on the one I am talking about, it does sound really expensive to do.

In the mean time, I'll run down to the newsstand for the Pilots Mag :)

Best regards
Urs
AN2 Driver

A and C
3rd Apr 2009, 16:01
A the show in Germany yesterdayI went to try to find the "new" Robin company that is reported to have emerged from tha ashes like a pheonix.

Despite the aircraft and a few logos on the stand no one could be found to talk to. All in all a very poor show, A bit of truth would have been nice even if it is not what I wanted to hear rather that avoiding the customers.

robinatl
18th Jan 2011, 14:47
I have a complete ATL for spares for your reference. 07883042412 chris

robin
18th Jan 2011, 15:13
A the show in Germany yesterdayI went to try to find the "new" Robin company that is reported to have emerged from tha ashes like a pheonix.

Despite the aircraft and a few logos on the stand no one could be found to talk to. All in all a very poor show, A bit of truth would have been nice even if it is not what I wanted to hear rather that avoiding the customers.

If you've followed the saga of Apex/CEAPR/Finch you'll see a story of smoke and mirrors.

When the CEO of Apex resigned after having sold it to a new owner at Christmas 2008, he re-emerged as a consultant. He is still there in effective control.

When the Finch situation developed it was exactly the same.

CEAPR are limping badly and with the recession it is inevitable that it will fail again fairly soon and re-emerge as a phoenix company leaving its debts behind. They tried it last time but failed to have the debts to the French club movement written off.

They are a much smaller organisation now and have lost the Cap fleet and sole rights for spares since Aerodif took the initiative.

So my advice is to be careful. When it went belly up in 2008 it happened quickly and left a lot of owners in the lurch for a long time

A and C
18th Jan 2011, 18:04
My oh My ! being quoted from a 2009 post!

vee-tail-1
18th Jan 2011, 20:26
Voilure - Longerons - Inspection/Réparation (http://www.regles-osac.com/OSAC/ad_cns.nsf/VConsultWeb/8E2A52C23091F61BC125726E0035D972)

This is the AD for the Robin 100 wing spar inspection which requires removal of the undercarriage legs.

jxk
7th Oct 2011, 11:15
Have seen a quote nearly £1000 for a set (4 pads). I can't believe that anyone in France would pay this much. Does anyone know if CEAPR or FINCH are back in business and supplying parts?
Also, does anyone know if the bonded and riveted pads have been approved?

I might try this on the French Forum.

Rod1
7th Oct 2011, 13:59
At one time Dyn Aero were getting approval for supplying spares and had taken on some ex Robin people. Might be worth an email?

Rod1

jxk
7th Oct 2011, 18:45
Thanks Rod - why did the Robin people have design their own brakes when there was a perfectly adequate Cleveland system available? I see that they have partly adopted Clevelands on the DR400s but not the axle and bearings. Would be great to get approval to 'reline' the existing pads but would need to obtain the official process. Also, looking into a minor-mod to allow bonding and riveting but fear EASA will get in the way.

HR100
9th Oct 2011, 08:52
Have you tried Jamie at Shenley Farm Engineering at Headcorn? I am a Robin HR100 owner of eighteen months standing and she is a lovely aeroplane. Shenley looked after my aeroplane for many years before I moved it up to the Midlands. They are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Hope this helps.

I am due an annual shortly so I have my fingers crossed.

Regards,

Jeff

jxk
9th Oct 2011, 16:46
HR100
Thanks for the info will give them a ring.