PDA

View Full Version : Headset tax relief...

dwshimoda
30th Mar 2009, 13:42
...as the tax year is about to finish, I am getting all my tax affairs in order ready for the inevitable demand the Revenue will make.

A colleague recently said that you can claim the whole cost of a noise cancelling headset against your PAYE code if your employer does not provide one.

I've since searched the Revenue's site, and can find the appropriate part, but cannot understand in plain language whether I can get tax relief at 40% on the cost of the headset, or the whole amount back.

Does anyone have any experience of this, and how to go about doing it?

(I have done a search, and the two threads I found are pretty inconclusive)

Regards,

DW.

Kempus
1st Apr 2009, 10:34
Hi,

follow the links and you'll find all your after!

Airline pilots: industry wide FRE for 2006/07 onwards: summary (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM50051.htm)

Kempus

dwshimoda
1st Apr 2009, 12:07
Thanks for the reply Kempus.

I have already searched the Revenue's site at lenght, and found those links, it's just that being a bit dumb I was hoping someone may be able to spell it out for me :)

I shall try giving my tax office a call a think.

DW.

cortilla
2nd Apr 2009, 13:13
Thanks from me too Kempus. I've been trying the inland revenue to ammend my tax code for a while with this FRE (my airline isn't balpa recognised so not automatically done) always to hit a brick wall. Atleast now i can tell the bloke where this little reference lives and gopefully get a nice cheque