PDA

View Full Version : biannual instructor signature

polar57
29th Mar 2009, 15:52
Could someone clarify for me who is allowed to sign my PPL(A). I regularly fly with instructors on multi pilot helicopters and was wondering if they could sign the PPL(A) biannual. I have completed enough SEP hours, just need the hour with an instructor. Sorry if this has been covered before.

Thanks.

dublinpilot
29th Mar 2009, 17:01
You need a one hour training flight with an instructor on an SEP aeroplane.

If the flight is in a helo, then obviously it doesn't count.

If the instructor isn't an SEP aeroplane instructor, then it's obviously not an instruction flight so doesn't count.

It must be a flight on something that needs the SEP class rating, and must be with someone licenced to instruct on that aircraft, and must be at least one hours duration (two 30 min flights don't count).

One the instructor has signed your log book to evidence the flight, then you need to find an examiner to revalidate the rating.

dp

Nibbler
29th Mar 2009, 17:15
Any PPL(A) examiner or even a ground examiner can do it subject to the usual rules of experience. 6and6 or 12and1 - that's PIC PPL(A) hours and training flight(s) with PPL(A) instructor within the last 12 months prior to your SEP expiry date.

polar57
29th Mar 2009, 20:06
Thanks for the help. I was hoping the couple of hundred pounds on an hour in a PA28 burning holes etc could be saved for later. There is a fair chance I might be joining the queue at the job center sometime soon. Ah well time for a change anyway.

Cheers.

mad_jock
29th Mar 2009, 20:13
There are also some rules about LPC/OPC counting as the 1 hour with the instructor.

Certainly for fixed wing when you revalidate your type rating IR this counts. You still need to go and find an SEP or ground examiner to sign the rating.

I don't know if it would cross the gap though with rotary.

DX Wombat
29th Mar 2009, 22:27
couple of hundred pounds on an hour in a PA28 HOW MUCH???? That seems extortionate to me.

mad_jock
29th Mar 2009, 22:34
He is in Aberdeen so he will have to drive to Dundee to get it done or pay quite substantial landing fees at Aberdeen.

I don't think it will just be aircraft and instructor hire granny.

DX Wombat
29th Mar 2009, 22:37
Thanks for the explanation Grandson, it just seemed excessive when I saw the figures, especially when I know that HAC's syndicate rate for the Archer is £107.30 / hour (£127.35 PPL) with no landing fees payable at HAC, only those when landing away.

mad_jock
29th Mar 2009, 22:41
HAC what does that stand for?

DX Wombat
29th Mar 2009, 22:44
Herefordshire Aero Club at Shobdon. :) You should come and visit us sometime. :ok:

flybymike
29th Mar 2009, 22:54
It's biennial ( once every two years) not biannual, (twice a year) :)

JUST-local
29th Mar 2009, 23:03
Its ever other year or every two years which ever way you say it its not biannual that would be be twice a year :ok: AS said above as I typed with 1 finger!

ANY aeroplane test also counts in place of a one hour + instructional/ training flight.

Why not go and do something different or a flight from a different place dual obviously and get them to do the paperwork as well, you should have pleanty of change from £200 even after the usual big tip for the instructor :O

IO540
30th Mar 2009, 07:36
Surely even a PPL/CRI can sign the logbook.

julian_storey
30th Mar 2009, 07:44
Surely even a PPL/CRI can sign the logbook.

A CRI (Class Rating Instructor) can undertake the one hour instructional flight and thereafter, sign the logbook.

Provided all the 'revalidation by experience' requirements have been met, then just about any examiner can sign the Cert of Exp.

S-Works
30th Mar 2009, 08:06
As Julian points out a CRI can conduct the flight or an FI. The CRI/FI holding a CPL or PPL has no relevance. A CRI who holds an Examiner rating can do both the flight ad the revalidation by experience paperwork at the same time.

As a further option, all LAA FULL coaches are CRI/FI and revalidation Examiners. The LAA website might be able to help you find a coach in your area. LAA coaches are not restricted to permit aircraft.

*The instructor must be authorised in accordance with
JAR-FCL to instruct for the JAR-FCL TMG or SEP(Land)
rating as appropriate. UK QSP only may undertake the
instructional flight with a UK Military instructor. This
training flight may be replaced by any other aeroplane
proficiency check or skill test for an instrument, class or
type rating (as defined by JAR-FCL) with a JAA qualified
Examiner, or by a flight test for the issue/revalidation or
renewal of a UK IMC rating.

polar57
30th Mar 2009, 21:01
Thanks for all the info. I agree "biannual" is poor wording, glad everyone got the idea anyway. Well spotted about the Aberdeen thing, no club here any more, the £200 covered driving/flying to Dundee/Inverness landing fees etc etc. Glad to hear its not reached £ 200 per hour just for an aircraft, well not yet anyway.

Thanks again for all the replies, I think the LAA instructor will be the way to go.

Safe flying.

ifitaintboeing
30th Mar 2009, 22:10
Your LAA man in Aberdeen can be found here:

Coaches2 (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/PCS/coaches2.html)

ATB,

ifitaint...