PDA

View Full Version : TCAS on on ground

Gulfstreamaviator
27th Mar 2009, 16:38
Which airports require TCAS to be on.....for ground control purposes...is there a schedule of these, and just what the procedure is.?
Help please.
glf

fellman
27th Mar 2009, 17:21
NO airports require TCAS to be on on the ground.
Airports which achieve ground control through A-SMGCS (Advanced Surface Movement Guidance and Control System) require the Mode S transponder to be ON, but TCAS should be in STANDBY.

See EUROCONTROL's ACAS Bulletin No. 9 for more details:
link - EUROCONTROL - ACAS II Bulletins and Safety Messages (http://www.eurocontrol.int/msa/public/standard_page/ACAS_Bulletins_Safety_Messages.html)

Gulfstreamaviator
27th Mar 2009, 18:03
Thanks for the link, I will try there first.

I will rephrase my question, which airports require mode S to be on. ???

Glf

fellman
27th Mar 2009, 19:53
Hi Glf

I don't have a definitive list of airports nor timescales but in a Eurocontrol brochure from July 2006 they say that A-SMGCS will initially be introduced at:
Amsterdam
Brussels,
Copenhagen
Frankfurt
Geneva
London Heathrow
Milan Malpensa
Milan Linate
Paris CDG
Paris Orly
Prague
Rome Fiumicino
Vienna and
Zurich

'further implementation is foreseen' at
Palma De Majorca and
Madrid

The brochure is on-line at
http://www.eurocontrol.int/airports/gallery/content/public/pdf/Mode%20S%20Deployment%20at%20and%20around%20Airports%20in%20 Europe_July%202006.pdf

Piper19
27th Mar 2009, 20:05
at BRU and ORY-towing of aircraft is done with the transponder on at code 1000. No altitude reporting mode nor tcas. Taxiing aircraft without flightplan (maintenance purposes) is the same.

Dream Land
28th Mar 2009, 02:39
Bkk, Kul, Hkg :)

Pilot Pete
28th Mar 2009, 08:53
Interestingly it has become an SOP for us to turn the transponder on for ground operations.....several airfields ask us to turn it off!:ugh:

PP

Gulfstreamaviator
28th Mar 2009, 09:01
Is there any US airports, I was told New York had a requirement, but not sure which airport.

Thanks guy, as always.

glf

Zeffy
28th Mar 2009, 11:05
...any US airports, I was told New York had a requirement, but not sure which airport.

Yes -- quite a few.

Map (http://www.sensis.com/docs/128/#airports) from Sensis Corp.

Gulfstreamaviator
28th Mar 2009, 12:54
I am off to New York tomorrow, and tried to look on the airport Jep plates for the specific requirement.

There is no info box on JFK, but there is one by on IAD. No data for LGA, so assuming not required.

There is nothing at all on the plates for LGW that suggests a need.

The data for AMS and ZRH is on the 10-1P (for AMS), and not on the airport layout.

I would have thought that this would be highlighted, rather than ground shout TURN it ON....Most airports tell me to TURN it OFF.

Comments from our american brothers. and gatwick experts.????

How about consistancy.?????

glf

CEJM
28th Mar 2009, 13:30
Gulfstreamaviator,

My mistake, it was a trial of the system and has been completed now.

My apologies. :ok:

CEJM

Graybeard
28th Mar 2009, 14:14
Logic says it should be left on, unless told by ATC to turn it off. Your reported altitude will tell other a/c you are on the ground.

Transponder ON with available altitude reporting OFF is stupid. That causes false alerts on TCAS flying in the area. The TCAS cannot know an a/c is on ground, and not a factor, without altitude reporting.

GB

Gulfstreamaviator
28th Mar 2009, 15:27
With ALT off a RA will not be generate.

With aircraft on ground, RA is inhibited.

There are several threads with much more technical detail than here, so I suggest this thread be locked off, and stored away.

glf