PDA

View Full Version : night rating within the PPL?

liam548
27th Mar 2009, 08:27
can you opt to complete your night rating as part of your ppl so when you send for your licence it comes back with this rating included?

Or do you need a certain number of hours P1 after you obtain your PPL?

BackPacker
27th Mar 2009, 09:06
Nope. You can do the hours as part of the PPL syllabus.

Keygrip
27th Mar 2009, 13:15
Two comments - it's a night *qualification*, not a rating (there is a difference) - and, as such, you CAN do it as part of the 45 hours required for licence issue, however, you should not start that night training until you have completed ALL the requirements for the minimum 35 hours of daylight training required.

25 hours dual, 10 hours solo (including the relevant cross country times).

IIRC, in the times of night *ratings*, you could not do the training as part of the PPL, but as a *qualification*, you certainly can.

FlyingForFun
27th Mar 2009, 14:13
Yes, definitely possible.

I don't know that it's necessary to do all the PPL syllabus first, as Keygrip suggests, but although I don't know of any rules, it certainly makes sense that you should be competent in the circuit, and have done the required instrument flying.

At the school I used to work at previously, we had one very able student who was too young to do the solo part of the course, but had completed the rest of the course. On his 16th birthday, he did his first solo during the day, followed by his first night solo that night. Shortly afterwards, he did his qualifying cross country, and, although he was finished before official night, it was only slightly before - the kind of timing which we wouldn't have allowed for most students, but he had sufficient dual night cross country that we weren't worried if he came back a little after night time.

FFF
-------------

liam548
27th Mar 2009, 15:00
sorry I meant to say "qualification".

Reason I ask is I was going to do it as part of my PPL this year with my instructor but too late now with the BST coming soon and lighter nights.

This site Flying Lessons in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. (http://www.humberflyingclub.co.uk/courses.htm)

states otherwise unless I am reading it wrong.

"Additional Ratings - Night Rating

Qualifies the PPL to fly at night with passengers provided the pilot remains current. Pre start qualifications are 50 hours total and 25 hours P1."

Keygrip
27th Mar 2009, 15:02
Hmmm, FFF, you (the school) were prepared to allow a student to complete the qualifying cross country at night? I wonder how that would play out at the "subsequent board of enquiry" should any incident have arisen.

However, my reference is (the often incorrect) Lasors C1.2.

"providing the minimum requirements at (a) and (b) have been met".

Past tense.

I'm open to interpretation from others.

*liam - my point exactly. A night *rating* did require additional experience before commencement of the course, and did bestow extra privileges. A night *qualification* does not.

Shows an apparent lack of education within the upper echelon of the flight school - or they can't be bothered to update their website (for the last eight years or so).

liam548
27th Mar 2009, 15:19
thanks for clearing that up. A website that has outdated or incorrect "ratings" listed does not inspire confidence in me.

Nibbler
29th Mar 2009, 17:21
To be fair the quality of the training or the business should not be taken from a poor, outdated or even a fantastic flashy website - the best way to know if you are right for a FTO is when you visit in person, talk to other students and when you have met and flown with your intended instructor.

In my limited opinion.

StOrMsCaTcHeR
30th Mar 2009, 12:29
yes you can get night qualification along with your PPL before sending out all the documents. i did mine after completing all the PPL required hrz, just spent extra 2 nights to get my 5 hours done and got night qualification on my PPL certificate.