PDA

View Full Version : RAF Lyneham closing early.

Whossat Forrus
25th Mar 2009, 13:07
Bits of gossip doing the rounds suggest the Jock Git wants Lyneham shut down completely by the end of 2009. Two years of planning space gone in the blink of an eye. How about a bit more notice!! Love to see them get their allowances claim through the imprest office. We have utter fools running this country.:ugh:

Doctor Cruces
25th Mar 2009, 13:13
Only just noticed, Mate? What took you so long?

Doc C
:ok:

c130jbloke
25th Mar 2009, 13:16
Please elaborate. Does this mean that "Future Brize" has been brought forward too, or do I see portacabins and 12 x 12s coming.....:eek:

StopStart
25th Mar 2009, 13:16
That's a rubbish rumour.
Go away, have a think and come up with a better one.
:ok:

EESDL
25th Mar 2009, 14:53
Lyneham always closed early - especially if you had a travel claim to submit..........

Blighter Pilot
25th Mar 2009, 16:52
And do you know - who really cares if they do!

Duncan D'Sorderlee
25th Mar 2009, 18:11
Which Jock Git?

Duncs:ok:

Darwinism
26th Mar 2009, 06:04
Which Jock Git?

I'd have closed it years ago, you English w@nker!

Or is that racist, bigotted and unwelcome on this forum?

Good Man Duncs, you beat me to it.

matkat
26th Mar 2009, 06:48
Does make you wonder why we are supposed to take this racism, grow up.

tacr2man
26th Mar 2009, 10:17
Cut him a little slack "RAF Git" does not narrow it down too much :E

Whossat Forrus
26th Mar 2009, 11:26
Sticks and stones may break my bones but that's OK because I still don't have to live in Elgin.

Reading on:

Aircraft parking and maintenance: - no issues or problems. Parking now deemed sufficient and hangarage will be made available on an as need basis.

I know the following was only a suggestion but here it is:

General accomodation (Housing): "Primary" consideration should be given to the hire and use of 'semi-permanent, relocatable accommodation units' (caravans) with (and I like this) 24 hour self assist access to waste diposal large storage facility (=chemical toilet cesspit).
:mad:

I don't know wether to laugh or cry.

Door Slider
26th Mar 2009, 11:43
Sounds like they may be looking at the same 'veil crate' temporary rooms they have at Benson. Standing with your arms outstretched you can touch all four walls; they are en-suite though. They were supposed to be a temporary measure, 5-6 years later they are no signs of them being replaced with proper accommodation!!!

talk_shy_tall_knight
26th Mar 2009, 12:09
Quote:
Standing with your arms outstretched you can touch all four walls;

. Are you an octopus?

Diagonal, corner to corner, very small room.:ok:

BEagle
26th Mar 2009, 12:39
General accomodation (Housing): "Primary" consideration should be given to the hire and use of 'semi-permanent, relocatable accommodation units'

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Bow_top.jpg

with 24 hour self assist access to waste diposal large storage facility.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/bog.jpg

Nice - just which century are we living in?

Due to pressures on available parking spaces and MT, personnel will be required to adopt the following transportation:

Officers: Rickshaws
NCOs: Bicycles
Airmen: Pull Officers' rickshaws.......

flipster
26th Mar 2009, 12:53
4 walls? Octopus? Shouldn't that be Quadropus? :O:O

Whossat Forrus
26th Mar 2009, 13:32
BEagle, I bow to your genius.:D

I do think your back yard could do with a tidy before the SWO sees it tho:}

Think the Mobile Home idea is for family quarters. Seems all the satellite accom, Buckley Barracks, S Cerney etc is all going to be closed to RAF pers along with the gates closing at Lye. Local hirings are still game on but there's a big shortage inside 20 miles radius. 400+ units is what's going to be needed. Can't see it happening myself. DHA claim 50 miles is close enough for a daily commute but there's going to be problems. I think schools in the local area and local doctor's surgeries with capacity are going to cause the biggest headaches. Still if you spread em out thin enough maybe the problems will just go away on their own. Hmmm.

BEagle
26th Mar 2009, 14:11
Sound advice - shall get Scrotum to move the caravan sharpish!

50 miles for commuting? I thought it was 45 min travelling time these days - which is perhaps 30 miles......

"Can't these chaps just use the MQs at Kemble? Or Rissy? Or err, err... Look just cut along, will you!" :\

Duncan D'Sorderlee
26th Mar 2009, 15:11
It seems that Whossat Forrus' language is acceptable on this forum. Enjoy Brize.:confused:

Duncs:ok:

PS I'm more than happy in Elgin.

Blighter Pilot
26th Mar 2009, 16:03
Think the Mobile Home idea is for family quarters.

Jog on!:mad:

The RAF would have to pay people to live in temporary housing when there are empty MQs all over the Wiltshire/Oxon area.

More importantly - what about schooling? No places might mean an even larger uptake of CEA at cost to the MOD.

That or pay a large amount of excess rent allowance, home to duty etc. 50 mile for a commute - are they having laugh?

For f:mad:ks sake, just let Lye shut as planned in 2012 - at least by then there is a small hope that Brize will be ready.

Can't go before as the C130K is not part of Project Catara/Future Brize or whatever made-up name we are onto now.

StopStart
26th Mar 2009, 16:07
Having just come from the HQ and spoken to the man running this thing from our end I can confirm that Lyneham is looking to close this Friday, at about 4. If anyone has any flying planned over that time they are requested to carry extra div fuel.

Personnel are to have vacated their quarters by 0700 on Saturday morning. As WF says there are plans to use caravans and possibly tents. They are also looking at using a few of the Ks that only have a couple of left and crash landing them in fields around Brize. The fuselages will then be used as temporary overspill accomodation for the Brize Officers Mess. Any remaining personnel still requiring accomodation will be allocated spaces at an Illegal Immigrant Detention Centre of their choice.

addendum
WF - This remains a rubbish rumour and I'm disappointed you haven't put more effort into it.
And as for you northern lot moaning about racism; dry your eyes. I hate bloody moaning Jock

ies and their horses.

Boom boom. I'm here all week. Well, until Friday at 4 when we all move to Brize....

PS. Stop feeding the troll you muppets :rolleyes:

StopStart
26th Mar 2009, 16:09
Blighter Pilot. According to your profile you are 36. Is that years or minutes? Get that great big fish hook out of your mouth!! ;)

TOPBUNKER
26th Mar 2009, 16:14
James Arbuthnot speaking in the House of Commons has just said of Belvedere that the Chinook fleet should stay where it is.
(Arbuthnot is Chair of the Commons Select Defence Committee so should have some inside gen.)
Ainsworth speaking earlier hinted that he could not guarantee Lyneham staying in Defence hands in a reply to James Gray.

Excuse any misinterpretation, I'm sure Hansard will be quoted here soon.
Personally I can feel a quest for a brown field development being announced quite soon.

StopStart
26th Mar 2009, 17:40
Breaking news there then. That wouldn't be the same James Arbuthnot as the one that is MP for North East Hampshire would it? The same North East Hampshire that has an RAF Odiham in it? :rolleyes:

It's all smoke and mirrors. They'll leave it as a ticking time bomb for the next government. Except Lyneham which, as we know, is closing at 4pm tomorrow...

BEagle
26th Mar 2009, 19:44
Stoppers, have a drive around the station and see whether there's any major construction work in progress - building repairs, window replacement etc.

If so, be afraid...very afraid.

Remember the ULAS building roof saga at pre-pongo Abingdon? Thousands spent on repair - only for the RAF to pull out a year early.

Grimweasel
26th Mar 2009, 21:02
Just had 'Baggers' at Odius today; very refreshing to see a starred officer in the RAF being so candid and straight with people. Bravo!!

Belvedere is still not decided so who bloody knows?? The Government finances are in a very bad state though. Like, very, very bad. Expect some pain over the coming years. We'll be off cap in hand to the IMF very soon I predict - and once we start to default on our debt (unthinkable - well, think again) the economy will fall off a cliff. Emigrate now and change all your £ into solid gold.

Grimweasel
26th Mar 2009, 21:04
PS... I'd sell any shares you have left in this current 'suckers' rally. Much more bad news to come. Again, corporate bonds,cash and gold are the safe havens.....

bythebackdoor
27th Mar 2009, 12:55
Bloody hell. I've just wasted a (rare) day off reading rubbish on the net,
when i should have been packing my house up and having my last porcelain poo. only 3 hours left.
cheers Broon :ok:

Dengue_Dude
27th Mar 2009, 16:30
I thought that all caravans were now being give the Top Gear Drop Test?

Beats meeting them on Wiltshire and Oxfordshire roads . . .

In my experience I can't help but agree that Lyneham closed early unless you were in Ops, Flying, Engineering, Catering or Movements -everybody else was gone at 1700!

Lionel Lion
27th Mar 2009, 17:04
So did it close today at 1700?

:rolleyes:

plans123
27th Mar 2009, 18:17
I know Ops didn't - the rest of the place is like a ghost town.

StopStart
27th Mar 2009, 19:13
To be honest, I didn't know Ops had ever opened in the first place....

bythebackdoor
27th Mar 2009, 20:21
Well, sat here reading this, and I can hear herks on the pans.
so either
A. Lyneham didn't close at 17:00 hrs
B. Belvedere has gone ahead, and Chinooks have a new cloaking device.
c. I'm hearing things
:sad:

Dengue_Dude
27th Mar 2009, 22:48
bythebackdoor

You could get your hearing checked out . . . but Medical Centre is closed !!!

Spurlash2
27th Mar 2009, 23:59
"I think we need to hit the ground running, keep our eye on the ball, and make sure that we are singing off the same song-sheet. At the end of the day it is not a level playing field and the goalposts may move; if they do, someone may have to pick it up and run with it. We therefore must have a golf bag of options hot-to-trot from the word "go". It is your train set but we cannot afford to leave it on the back-burner; we've got a lot of irons in the fire right now.

We will need to un-stick a few potential poo traps but it all depends on the flash-to bang time and fudge factor allowed. Things may end up slipping to the left and, if they do, we will need to run a tight ship. I don't want to reinvent the wheel but we must get right into the weeds on this one. If push comes to shove, we may have to up-stumps and then we'll be in a whole new ball game.

I suggest we test the water with a few warmers in the bank. If we can produce the goods then we are cooking with gas. If not, then we are in a world of hurt. I don't want to die in a ditch over it but we could easily end up in a flat spin if people start getting twitchy.

To that end, I want to get around the bazaars and make sure the movers and shakers are on-side from day one. If you can hit me with your shopping list I can take it to the head honchos and start the ball rolling. I know you're not the sharpest tool in the box and may be a few sandwiches short of a picnic, but together we'll be the best thing since sliced bread.

There is light at the end of the tunnel and I think we have backed a winner here. If it gets blown out of the water, however, I will be throwing a track. So get your feet into my in-tray and give me chapter and verse as to how you see things panning out. As long as our ducks are in a row I think the ball will stay in play and we can come up smelling of roses.

Before you bomb-burst and throw smoke it is imperative we nail our colours to the mast and look at the big picture. We've got to march to the beat of the drum. We are on a sticky wicket, we'll need to play with a straight bat and watch out for fast balls.

I've been on permanent send for long enough and I've had my ten pence worth. I don't want to rock the boat or teach anyone to suck eggs. We must keep this firmly in our sight picture and not under our hats or it will fall between the cracks. If the cap fits, wear it, but it may seem like pushing fog uphill with a sharp stick. Did you all get that?"

Thanks to a previous pruner for that; and my bit:

...there's no way I'll be shooting the puppy, or trying to push the dead whale up the beach.:ok:

S78
28th Mar 2009, 01:42
No 'thinking outside the box' then?

S78