PDA

View Full Version : Nav exam query

beakskys
24th Mar 2009, 12:25
Hi all,

Im going to be taking my nav exam soon, and have obviously been revising using various books and confusers and Im feeling pretty confident as I've been doing cross country's for a while now, and had to fill out a flight plan many a time. :)
However, I dont really have a clue about the structure of the exam? Is it all multiple choice still like the other theory's, or does it involve a practical element too (such as creating a flight plan ect)?

Any light shed would be greatly appreciated :)

DaveD
24th Mar 2009, 12:41
You'll be given a chart and the usual answer and question paper.

You'll also be given a plog that you'll have to fill in.

The first question will be something like :

1. Your flight will be from N513505.05W to.. blah blah, with a diversion of
N563505.05W (just made up)

You fill in the plog from each way point, doing your drift and working out True etc..

Then you'll be asked question on your route.. E.g. What is the distance from a to b. Or, what is the true heading of a to b. What is your fuel burn for this.. etc Since you're given a chart it's not hard to get things wrong.. it might say what does this symbol mean? Just look at the chart.. Or what is at this latitude and longitude.. and then tick the right answer. You'll also have an AIP that you will need to be able to understand.. it might ask, what time is this airfield open till..

The will also be some other questions at the end about navigation, not to do with any routes.

Work through a PPL confuser, the test is pretty much exactly the same as that.

Oh... I will add, you have to be EXTREMELY accurate. Down to half a degree.. But once you've filled in the plog your pretty much just ticking down answers that you've already wrote down.

Thats pretty much it, alot of people say Nav is one of the hardest but it's actually really easy because hey, you're pretty much planning routes every day when your on the nav part of your PPL, for that reason it makes sence to do NAV as your last exam.

madgav
24th Mar 2009, 15:59
You'll spend the first 15-20 mins plotting the route on a chart (provided). During which time you won't answer any questions :eek:. Once this is done though you should be able to tick off 5 or 6 answers straight away. As has already been said, you need to work really accurately as there are sometimes two answers very close together.
There are 5 questions at the end on radio nav so know your ADFs, VORs, VDF etc.
Nav is the only one of the 6 exams I have done to date where I felt I really needed all the time allocated. Oh and as I'm sure you're aware, electronic calculators aren't allowed so all calcs have to be done on the wizzy-wheel.
BTW the confuser is a good indication of the type of questions asked.
All the best for the exam :ok:

beakskys
24th Mar 2009, 16:36
Cheers for the advice :) Just what I wanted to know!

liam548
24th Mar 2009, 17:04
You'll be given a chart and the usual answer and question paper.

You'll also be given a plog that you'll have to fill in.

The first question will be something like :

1. Your flight will be from N513505.05W to.. blah blah, with a diversion of
N563505.05W (just made up)

You fill in the plog from each way point, doing your drift and working out True etc..

Then you'll be asked question on your route.. E.g. What is the distance from a to b. Or, what is the true heading of a to b. What is your fuel burn for this.. etc Since you're given a chart it's not hard to get things wrong.. it might say what does this symbol mean? Just look at the chart.. Or what is at this latitude and longitude.. and then tick the right answer. You'll also have an AIP that you will need to be able to understand.. it might ask, what time is this airfield open till..

The will also be some other questions at the end about navigation, not to do with any routes.

Work through a PPL confuser, the test is pretty much exactly the same as that.

Oh... I will add, you have to be EXTREMELY accurate. Down to half a degree.. But once you've filled in the plog your pretty much just ticking down answers that you've already wrote down.

Thats pretty much it, alot of people say Nav is one of the hardest but it's actually really easy because hey, you're pretty much planning routes every day when your on the nav part of your PPL, for that reason it makes sence to do NAV as your last exam.

The problem is some clubs require you to pass it before you can go solo cross country hence why I did as my 4th exam

DaveD
24th Mar 2009, 19:59
Understandable.. i did Met to go on my first solo.

jonburf
4th Apr 2009, 07:44
I would add that on one of the questions that I had, it was about calculating Rate of Descent. neither multiple choice was the correct answer and on the cover of the paper it does advise that you should choose the nearest answer. there was about 40fpm difference. Only to add what the others have rightly said, make the plan as well as you possibly can and make sure that you can work out lng/lat's with ease.
all the best
J

Gertrude the Wombat
4th Apr 2009, 08:10
Oh... I will add, you have to be EXTREMELY accurate. Down to half a degree..
Which is complete nonsense, of course, as even if you can measure the angles that accurately on the map (I couldn't in the most recent exam I took) there's no way you can fly that accurately.

Pull what
4th Apr 2009, 20:19
Oh... I will add, you have to be EXTREMELY accurate. Down to half a degree..

Extreme accuracy seems lacking in that post!