PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair trans Atlantic ?

2 six 4
11th Nov 2001, 20:19
New edition of Aircraft Illustrated magazine quotes Michael O'Leary as saying they are looking at options to take over any trans Atlantic routes vacated by Aer Lingus.

Have Aer Lingus actually given up any routes ?

What chance of 5th Freedom services from Stansted at the same time ?

BOEINGBOY1
11th Nov 2001, 21:31
as stated many, many times before. ryanair do not have the a/c, engineering or the experience to operate trans-atlantic services. never on any 737 type ever will they be able to offer a service. possibly on a larger a/c type ie 757, but still very unlikely. with no etops experience you are looking at a dub-nyc flt time of 8-9hrs+. even with etops (135mins) a 757 would take 6-7hrs, and if fr put anything near max seating in(235)then its still very much unlikely. thats before you even look at the a/c utilization time of operating a return service accross the atlantic. in the same time, an a/c could have operated 7 or 8 return dub-uk flights and made ALOT more dosh. with 737's operating services accross the pond - ever - ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

with 737's not a cat in fvcking hell's chance

A and C
11th Nov 2001, 21:53
A tad on the pesimistic side i think the NG 737 can get ETOPS approval it has to have 2x fmc the APU that will start and run at FL410 and the big crew O2 tank.

Some seats would have to come out as i doubt that it would make it with the full 189 pax.

The NG 737 has long legs im told that a new aircraft was flown direct from boeing field to berlin this was of course without pax but it shows that it is not a short range aircraft.

If the trans atlantic thing will make money is another matter as the ETOPS set up costs are high and the pax load will be lower than normal but it is not imposable.

HalesAndPace
11th Nov 2001, 21:57
BUT, what if Aer Lingus fold, & MOL buys up the relevant people/aircraft/engineering to go across the Atlantic? FR connections to SNN (or DUB) for the A330 FR flight? Not an impossible dream!

Unwell_Raptor
11th Nov 2001, 21:58
Sounds like an opportunity for m'learned friends.

The DVT claims should be enormous.

flypastpastfast
11th Nov 2001, 22:01
Not this old chestnut YET AGAIN!!!!!!

This rumour has done the rounds so many times I've lost count.

Lots of HYPE and no SUBSTANCE.

[ 11 November 2001: Message edited by: flypastpastfast ]

chiglet
11th Nov 2001, 22:59
If a[n English Electric] Lightning had "still air" Trans Atlantic range, then I think that a B738 would have no probs :D
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Capt PPRuNe
11th Nov 2001, 23:28
Thread closed until '2 six 4' fixes email address as notification of replies are bouncing to me.