PDA

View Full Version : Flying Schools

navibrator
21st Mar 2009, 07:09
Can anyone recommend a good flying school? I want to get a PPL for europe in one go.

BroomstickPilot
21st Mar 2009, 11:47
Hi Navibrator,

Before we can respond to your question, we need more information. First of all, where are you based?

Broomstick.

navibrator
22nd Mar 2009, 09:24
I am in mainland Europe (Germany/Austria) so I am looking to take holiday to do it.

T10
22nd Mar 2009, 09:47
I would recommend any of the Aeros schools either at Wellesbourne, Filton and Gloucester.I have used them for my training and was very pleased a friendly and profesional bunch.www.aeros.co.ukRgdsT10

BroomstickPilot
22nd Mar 2009, 10:07
Hi navibrator,

To give you the broad picture, I should say that you have several options.

The first option is to stay in Central Europe and do your course locally to where you are going to do your flying after you get your licence. (I am assuming you are fluent in the local language).

If you don't have languages, then another alternative is to go to one of the outfits in France or Spain that cater specially for native English speaking students.

The cheapest alternative is to go to the other side of the pond for a month and do your licence in the States. It doesn't matter whether you get an EASA licence or an FAA licence (as long as you intend to fly in an ICAO state where your foreign licence would be recognised). You must, however, allow for some hours of extra training on your return to acquaint yourself with the different met and air traffic procedures in your home location.

I don't recommend the UK unless you anticipate coming here to live. Flying in the UK is astronomically expensive compared to other states and our airspace complex, congested and busy. If, however, you do intend to move to the UK before long, then training in the UK would have certain advantages.

There are other places you could go, such as South Africa, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, but these don't seem to me to offer any particular advantage, bearing in mind the added time and cost of travel, and the likelihood that at some of them you would not be able to obtain either an EASA or FAA licence.

You can find adverts for nearly all these options in the flying magazines and then research them by using the 'Search' facility here on Pprune.

Good luck!

Broomstick.

Pilotdom
22nd Mar 2009, 12:46
Theres a nice club at Bad Voslau airfield in Austria. Most of my family live not too far away, and I had a nice flight there last year. Very friendly instructors and a very nice setup. They fly DA-20's and I remember it being quite reasonable on cost.

Whopity
22nd Mar 2009, 20:20
A very nice lady at Limoges nearlyneaven: Flying Lessons (http://www.nearlyheaven.com/flying-lessons.html)