PDA

View Full Version : What ATPL(H) exams required for CPL(H)?

sarboy w****r
19th Mar 2009, 00:22
Hi All,

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I notice that there are a lot fewer exams required for a CPL(H) than an ATPL(H). If you were to be enrolled on an ATPL(H) course, is it possible to sit a subset of the ATPL(H) exams and have them count towards a CPL(H), and then do the skills test (and get the CPL(H)) and do the remaining exams later (in order to get the frozen ATPL(H))? Or do you need to finish all the exams first?

Thanks,

SBW

Whirlygig
19th Mar 2009, 00:29
You can do (under current rules which may well change very, very soon) CPL(H) exams for the issue of a CPL, the IR(H) for the issue of an IR(H). This can, with the required multi-crew experience etc, be "upgraded" to an ATPL(H).

The CPL(H) exams are a separate set of exams which, for example, combines general navigation and radio navigation into one exam instead of two.

However, given that the date of the change from Amendment 3 to Amendment 6 is not yet confirmed (I think?), you might be best advised to go for the ATPL(H) exams and get your IR within 3 years.

Cheers

Whirls

paco
19th Mar 2009, 04:03
There are no changes to the regulations until at least the end of 2009.

You have to sit one or the other since you must have completed your theory exams before you can sit your skill test for whatever licence. So, you can either sit the CPLH then do the IR or just do the ATPLH - currently they are considered to be the same in theoretical knowledge terms (LASORS Sect G p 11). That is, the CPLH has the same academic standard as the ATPLH - it's just missing the IR subjects.

Phil

Spanish Waltzer
19th Mar 2009, 08:54
SBW,

I would imagine by your previous posts that you have enough hours to do the mil bridging package. Your best bet is to check out LASORS and contact the useful guys at Bristol Groundschool - they advertise on here - as this might negate some of the exams you're looking at.

SW

paco
19th Mar 2009, 10:12
For mil bridging, you still have to do 9 exams, but only 3 of them are done with the CAA (Air Law, Ops, Performance) - we do the rest internally

phil

Sam Rutherford
5th Nov 2010, 21:22
Hi, can anyone confirm whether the 'interim arrangements' for CPL H exams are still in place (ie that most of the exams are the same as for CPL A)?

Thanks, Sam.

paco
6th Nov 2010, 02:32
The interim arrangements for the ATPL(H) are still in place, but not for much longer - this is where you take aeroplane exams and have them credited to a helicopter licence - an unsatisfactory system for many reasons. There is nobody doing an interim CPL(H).

One school does helicopter specific courses (see ad top right).

phil

Sam Rutherford
30th Nov 2010, 11:06
Hi, in case anyone was wondering; I've just had confirmation that the present CPL H theory 'interim arrangements' will not be changed before May 2011 at the absolute earliest.

This might be of interest to some out there...

Safe flights, Sam.

paco
30th Nov 2010, 12:44
The new exams start in June. But why would you want an interim course when you can do a real helicopter one?

Phil

Sam Rutherford
1st Dec 2010, 08:02
Hi Phil,

Because I have done 8 of the 9 CPL A exams in the last 4 months, so by 'just' adding POF H (with Nav) in January, I get two licences 'for the price of one'.

Cheers, Sam.

paco
1st Dec 2010, 12:31
Take it while you can - the CPL(A) is of a lower academic standard than the CPL(H)! :)

Phil

Sam Rutherford
2nd Dec 2010, 07:16
Hi Phil,

Fighting talk ;)

Cheers, Sam.

PS feel free to give Benoit the most difficult questions you have in your database!

paco
2nd Dec 2010, 09:48
We have our eye on him..... :)

Phil