PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding PPL exam expiring

PilotPieces
17th Mar 2009, 14:15
My understanding is that from the date of the first PPL exam being taken, you have 18 months to complete the PPL before having to re-take that particular exam.

Is this correct, or is it that all exams have to be retaken like with the ATPL exams?

Thanks

PP

kenparry
17th Mar 2009, 14:31
From LASORS 2008:

An applicant shall be deemed to
have successfully completed the theoretical
examinations for the JAR-FCL PPL(A) when
awarded a pass in all of the above examinations
within a period of 18 months counted from the
end of the calendar month when the applicant
first attempted the examination. A pass
will be accepted for the grant of a JAR-FCL
PPL(A) during the 24 months from the date of
successfully completing all of the theoretical
knowledge examinations.

So, if you don't complete all the exams within the 18 monthe from the end of the month in which you did the first, you have to repeat the first.

PilotPieces
17th Mar 2009, 14:40
Yeah, I read that two which is why I was checking.

So all the exams within 18 months, and then you have a further 6 months to complete the skills test?

However, if one exam falls outside the 18 months, you must re-take that one to bring it within 18 months of the others.

I wish Lasors wasn't writen in code :ugh:

kenparry
17th Mar 2009, 15:14
So all the exams within 18 months, and then you have a further 6 months to complete the skills test?

No, not as tight as that: do all the exams within 18 months of the first exam, then from the last exam you have a further 24 months to do the skills test. That is what the 2nd sentence says.

You have to read it carefully, and several times. If you think this is opaque, you shouild try some of the JAR-OPS stuff. :rolleyes:

What I wrote above is not right: see the next post. Apologies

Keygrip
17th Mar 2009, 16:04
No it doesn't, ken.

It says the exams are valid for licence *application* for 24 months - but the skill test has to be taken within six months of completing the flight instruction. Para c1.4

The skill test pass is then further valid for an additional 12 months for licence application.

kenparry
17th Mar 2009, 16:43
keygrip:

You are right. Thanks for the correction.

KP

Keygrip
17th Mar 2009, 22:37
Kudos, ken - very refreshing response. :ok:

homeguard
18th Mar 2009, 21:20
The exam period of 18 months is clarified.

The 24 months following the date of the last exam allows for the completion of training, the Skill Test and for the licence application to be submitted. The Skill Test may only be undertaken when ALL training is complete (including exams) and remains valid. It would be unlikely that the student would take a Skill Test having not flown under supervision for a period as long as six months and little point not to apply for the licence at the time the skill Test is passed.

Should the student have had a certificate of completion of training completed within the Licence application Form and then not flown for six months, they will need to undertake revision for the test. Then, Following obvious revision training a new certificate of completion, following satisfactory re-training, should be completed by the CFI/Head of Training. There are no limitations as to the gaps a student may have between lessons. It is all very academic to argue otherwise.